3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 394 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this possible?
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
I am shooting gold tip arrows with 265 grains up front,250 head 15 grain insert.Today I put a 100 grain brass insert in to see what would happen.By adding 85 grains the arrow shot the same! How could this be?Is it the nature of carbon? All I know is the bow is alot more quiet and the arrow hits like a sledgehammer. Can anybody explain this?

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
By the way,the bow is a thunderstick mag,58"48#@26". The arrows are gold tip 3555@27" with 3 5"feathers.

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Bucky,  you could probably add two hundred grains to your arrow and it would still fly relatively straight, but it would dump ( drop) alot faster.
Try shooting that same arrow w/o fletchings and see what it does! Shoot it both with and without the 100 gr brass insert (bareshaft). That will tell you the true story.
Also, I am not that familiar with GT arrows, but I think they also make inserts for the nock end of the arrow. It might be a good idea to add a little weight to the end. This will drastically increase your kinetic energy. (More weight = more punch)

Your bow is alot more quiet because you arrow is "soaking" up all of its stored power since it is heavier!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I myself find carbons are easy to tune if ya add lots of weight. i can shoot from 175(which I do) to 325 off the same bow and arrow combo and get very good flight out of both. Carbon recovers so much faster than wood or alum. even when ya reduce the spine dramatically! Shawn
Shawn

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Since most folks have tuning problems they aren't aware of, and most of them are overspined, you probably did yourself a favor!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
O.L.,with my length arrow and my bow weight does 350 sound strange? Later today I will bare shaft.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I recently started shooting gold tip carbons and they flew great until I added a weight tube.  It increased the spine of the arrow so I took them out.  So by adding weight up front they shouldn't change that much?

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Bucky, Not at all if the arrow is stiff enough.

You said "the arrow shot the same"....well, no it didn't, you can't tell squat about how well arrows are flying by eyeball shooting fletched field points. Put a big ol' wide broadhead on 3 of them and shoot them with 3 matched field points. Then make an 85 grain change and do it again..You WILL see a difference. If you are well tuned the broadhead group and the field tip group will be mixed together. If not the field tips will be grouped in one place and the bh's in another. What ever bare shafts or wide broadheads are doing, your field points are doing also, you just can't see it...O.L.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
ok,here's the test results.this is based on about 8 shots each at 20 yds.(i'm right handed)265 head about 2" right.350 head about 3" right. i then put on my broadheads. i'm using magnus 2"s 2 blade.both arrows hit the center.the only differance was the 350 was about a 1" lower.i then took a 30 yard shot.the 350 was about 4" lower. 20 is my hunting comfort zone.i think i can go up the 85 grains.what do some of you think?

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
i forgot to say i then put the broadheads on a fletched shaft.also the arrow weight with the 265 head is 488 and 573 with the 350.at 48# thats 10.1 and 11.8 gpp.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Bucky, "left and right" of what? Were your broadheads grouping with your field tips? Or did they group "somewhere else"?

"(i'm right handed)265 head about 2" right.350 head about 3" right."

Were these bare shafts or fletched? If those are bare shafts and grouping right of matched weight fletched shafts, the 265 are closer to what you are looking for. The 350's being weaker are shooting further right as they should.....O.L.

http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
o.l. it was bare shaft hitting right of center.my broadheads were grouping with my field tips.i think i'll stay with the 265.i didn't really care for the amount of drop i was getting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©