3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 426 times)

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
I want to hunt with me recure, But when the morning hunt gets here I always grab my compund. I shoot ALOT with my recuve and I think I shoot pretty darn good with it. I just haven a confided issuse I guess. Can somebody help meee.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
NO ONE CAN HELP YOU EXCEPT YOURSELF. If you are serious you will hunt with the curve, if not you will cling to the wheels.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Sell your compound. Or give it to someone you know to help start 'em off.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
Sounds like you got to kill a deer. So you take the wheels to make sure. Take a deer with the wheels to get it out of your system, then take the stick bow out. You will love hunting with the stick bow and eventually sell the wheels. I hope:)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
It is a decision that has to be made... "I am done with modern bows". I would advise to shoot either or; not both types of bows. Getting to the point where under pressure you can hit anchor and then your spot with a traditional bow needs to be "automatic", without thinking about it. The best way to get there is by shooting only one type of bow.

Good shooting and good luck.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
I know where you are coming from.  This is the 1st traditional year for me.  Man it was tough to leave the wheels at home those 1st few hunts.  I've been practicing alot but was not even close to being good as w/ compound.  I could group to 3" out of 50yards.  I've been practicing w/ longbow out to 20".  I can consistantly group 6".  I feel if I limit my shots to my comfort zone I will be OK.  With that being said, I've got my 1st miss with trad gear.  And to think back 15yrs ago, the 1st shot a deer with compound, I missed on that one too.  In my opinion, a miss is a good thing. Not as good as a well placed shot. I'm not wanting to track a wounded deer only not to recover.  

My advice to you, (coming from a newbie myself), leave the wheels at home if you are comfortable with your proficiency with trad gear.

Its all about a new adventure.  In the end, you will be glad you did.  I sure was.  Even with a miss under my belt, I came out of the woods with a smile on my face.  The way I see it, I just increased the odds on my 1st trad gear harvest.  

Above all, have fun.  :thumbsup:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline jcarter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I've stugled with the same> i put a few posts up this month in reference to a few of my missed shots this year with my recurve that wouldn't of happened otherwise.

It's a difficult ordeal and you feel torn,you want to be successful in shooting a deer, but you also want to "earn it" with your recurve.

You've probably practiced more this summer and the past few months with your recurve that you ever have with your compound. That's why your feeling torn, you know you can do it, but what if 'He steps out and you blow the shot".

ON my last post in reference to the 2nd big deer that i have missed this year, with my recurve,  somebody posted , and I think it was Biggie.....he said " just think, you've got to shoot at two deer and you still get to hunt!"
I'm a firm believer in that the deer chooses you, you don't choose the deer! Whenit is meant to happen it will, compound or trad gear!

Only it's sooo much sweeter when you earn it the hard way!
Black Widow PCH 47@28 in
Black Widow PLX 59#@28 in

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
I personally shoot both recurve, and compounds.
By doing so i find my curve shooting is better.
By NOT choosing one or the other, my enjoyment
of archery has never been more. But then again,
thats just me.
Enjoy the hunt with whichever your choice.
Steve.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Many of us started out the same way. I did it the same way for three years then sold all the wheely bows. Thats the easiest way. Traditional equipment 100% is a big step in your hunting career. You may have to let more deer pass and as you do you'll learn to become a much better hunter. Your stalking skills will improve you will spend more time in the field. You will study your surroundings and targets much closer. In the end you will get there, it's a fun journey.Your compound buddies will never unstand you, but you will become a better hunter than they if you work at it. If it's all about, gotta kill then it's not for you at this point. With work you can have it both ways, shoot traditional only and take lots of meat. Enjoy the ride it's the best one I've been on.
hunt it

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Ya'll nailed it. Expesaly(yea i now my spelling sucks) Jcarter, I now I can do it. I just got to do it. I have been on the fence for about three years now and I think it's time to fall off.

Anybody want to buy a Mathews Drenlin.LOL no seriously.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by stuckum:
Ya'll nailed it. Expesaly(yea i now my spelling sucks) Jcarter, I now I can do it. I just got to do it. I have been on the fence for about three years now and I think it's time to fall off.

Anybody want to buy a Mathews Drenlin.LOL no seriously.
Thats whats so terrific about this site. Folks here are insperational, and knowlagable. Ya can't find the two together very often.
Hope you have a great season.
Steve.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I had to sell mine!  Killed my first the same day that it hit the auction block!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Sounds framilar (my spelling sucks too LOL)

I ended up giving my quiver of arrows and my release to a coworker with strick instructions not to give it back to me untill after the season or if my stick bow broke...sold the wheels a few yrs later

Only you can decide...good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
It takes confidence to go completely trad and it takes time.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline leewillis92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
Compound= better chance at killing a deer

Recurve= not as good of a chance, but the time and effort and if you do kill a deer, the prize will be so much sweeter.
Hunt Hard. Stay Safe. God Bless.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
The day before the hunt put on some saftey glasses and reach down with a pair of wire snips and cut the string on the compound, problem solved.  :D
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Look at it this way you are accomplishing the same thing with trad as with compound dead is dead.
And you know what when you get that deer or whatever it feels so good and you need not worry about pins being bent loose or whatever and I lost my release is not an issue.
The excuses are very limited when it comes to missing because of the above but that is a positive in my opinion.
I think you will enjoy shooting year around a lot more cause its just fun and that is whats missing in a lot of circles.You may come home with less meat for awhile but that will change trust all of us on that.Its not so much the bow but who is behind the bow!!It feels so good to be the hunter within. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks fellas for all the advice. I am going to suck it up and just do it. Thats FUNNY wtpops.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I sold mine.  ALl it took was for me to take one deer with my recurve and at lunch that same day i sold the wheels and have never looked back.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©