3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Quiet Can You Go??????  (Read 344 times)

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
How Quiet Can You Go??????
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Don't know if the title is correct..but here goes. Yesturday I was doing some "fine" tuning on my longbow (specs;66#@ my 30"draw, R/D homemade with minimal changes to Bingham blueprint). After fine tuning, I tried two different arrows with no noticable noise difference. The arrows were both CX Heritage. The 250's are weighted to 615gr and the 350's are weighted to 711gr. My question is, can a bow be "maxed out" in the quiet department to where a 100gr increase in arrow weight will not make a noticable difference in noise after the shot. I even had my neighbor come out and listen and he couldn't tell which arrows were which. Sorry so long winded.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Quiet Can You Go??????
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Sounds like you got it right!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Yep, and I believe this was the topic of a TBM article, 1 or 2 issues ago.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
So...I guess...if your tuning is correct...adding extra weight to the arrow doesn't quiet the bow any more??? This is a new concept for me. I always thought that adding weight would decrease noise reguardless of tuning.

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm not falling for it until I see sound proof from a noise measuring device.

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
I believe you can "max out". Even if you get it as quiet as it can possibly be it will still make some noise. And if it makes some noise, little though it may be, deer will hear it.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Page, I been testing the same thing, I'll let you know when I decide whats what. Don Ps That bear you gonna shot at 12yds this Dec aint gonna have time to react.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Sorry if I miss lead anyone. I'm not saying that my bow is super quiet. I'm saying that that it makes the same amount of noise at 9.2 gr/lb as it does at 10.8 gr/lb and to me that doesn't "seem" right. The only thing that makes since is that maybe it is tuned to the point that the extra arrow weight doesn't make any difference.

Great to hear from you Batman. Hope all is well on the Bat farm.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Are you happy with the results? I am not sure I follow ya - if there is a problem or not? Both arrows sound solid in the weight department. Longbows should be absolutely quiet when you are done tuning. I pick up a little noise from fast flight strings - but deer don't pick it up. Deadliest quiet bows I have ever shot were flatbows , dacron , wood arrows. But I have total confidence in my longbows & aluminum - that deer will NOT jump the string - they do not hear it - and only react after the hit.
<>< <-----------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
maybe not "max" out, but reach a point of diminishing returns, just as there is a point of diminishing and then negative returns on bow/arrow energy efficiency as the wieght of the arrow goes up.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks WidowEater, That sums it up. Until now I always thought that no matter how well your bow was tuned it would get quieter with an increasingly heavier arrow.

Cory, I'm very happy with the results, but as I stated above. It seems that 10.8 gr/lb should be quieter than 9.2 gr/lb. I guess that WidowEater is right about the point of deminishing returns.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
My Arroyo seems as quiet at 510 grains as it does with 650. I also believe my carbons are quieter than my woods and they both come in right near 510 grains. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©