3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stalking spooked deer?  (Read 297 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
stalking spooked deer?
« on: October 10, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
So as I sit here in the woods a question comes to mind....

How many of you who regularly stalk have success on game you have already spooked?  

As I was walkin to my spot I spooked 2 doe but they weren't all that quick to leave. The first one just trotted away and the second one actually gave me a walkin shot at 22 lyards but I missed.

The thought of stalking them entered my mind but I ditched it and a still sittin in the woods waiting for more deer.

I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with stalking game they have already spopoked?  If so what had happened? Lessons learned?

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stalking spooked deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
I've had success after i spooked them. Some times they get curious and come back if you don't spook'em to bad.

Lession is LOOK, LISTEN, LOOK again then move.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I have stalked deer i spooked but gave them time to forget about me, usually 30 mins,but i try to keep them in sight and make sure they don't slip down wind of you!! I took a 3x3 years back that i jumped out of his bed, he didn't know what i was so he tried to slip down wind of me but i beat him to it,he snuck in and i was allready in the thicket he thought would give him cover to scent me, shot was 15 yards! i got very lucky that time!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Haven't brought back a spooked deer during season, but last year I was walking some bottoms dressed in khaki pants and a yellow shirt when I jumped about a dozen deer that ran about 50 yards and stopped to look back.  I crouched down and started fawn bleating in my throat and within 5 minutes, had a nice doe come back to me, to within 15 yards.  

If the wind is right and you're walking slowly, you can jump them, but if you instantly freeze and get low, they may not go far.  A fawn bleat or a doe bleat might bring a curious one back.  I think a fawn bleat would be best in this case.

Dan

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
awsome guys thanks for the info!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Tom, if the deer didn't get spooked too bad, and never figured out what spooked them, then there is a chance. I once bumped some does that only went about 20 yards. With the wind in my favor I began stalking them at an angle to keep my wind favorable. It was the rut and I must have pushed them to a buck. He in turn moved them back down passed me. Then end result....

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©