3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scouting trip of new hunting area 10/10/08  (Read 679 times)

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scouting trip of new hunting area 10/10/08
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
why don't you send me that pretty bow so it don't get dinged...i'll send you one with a few scratches so you don't worry about it....that is a great looking bow.  good luck on your hunt!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay, but after spending 12 hrs in the woods on Friday and Sunday, I had some serious makeup time to spend with Kimber. She felt like a mistress to the Deer woods.

Sunday I arrived at my lease at 5:45 am and had to hustle to get on stand. The woods came alive and squirrels and birds were everywhere, but alas no deer to be seen. It was a great morning anyway. Headed back to the truck to enjoy a lunch that Kimber made for me. She is such a trooper getting up at 4:00 am and making me breakfast and lunch.

I enjoyed a nap at the truck and headed back to the stand at 3:00 pm. I had no more than got in the tree and had a flock of 20 turkeys under me and me with no turkey tag. They hung around for 30 to 40 minuets and eased on up the hill feeding as they went. Again the tree rats were scurrying hither and yon gathering the pecans and walnuts that were all over the ground. Wish the deer would find this spot. About 6:00 pm I saw three does and three yearlings about 75 yrds up the clearing coming out of the oaks and pines. They eased on across never getting close enough for a shot. I sat until 7:00 pm and nothing else stired so I climbved down and headed back to the truck, loaded the 4 wheeler and headed home. Tired, but elated to have seen the critters I saw. I turned my cellphone on ( Kimber does not get that a ringing phone scares the deer. LOL ) I called her to let her know I was headed home. I spent Monday and Tuesday with her to assure her she was not getting shunned for the deer. I went back today and will relate that story tomorrow.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time,,,best of luck to ya.

Chris

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Donald,

Thanks for the story. You are truly "hunting" which means that most days will be spent trying to figure out where the animals are in the hope that you may be able to eventually find them and then get close enough to send an arrow in the direction of one of them. Enjoy the hunt!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
I hope you don't miss a deer going by while you are admiring that beautiful bow!  :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
looks nice good luck!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Allan,

That is so true. I consider any day in the woods a sucessful hunt whether I score an animal or not. Just being in Gods glorious creation is good enough for me. Seeing His wonderous hand in everything. Hopefully He will see fit to allow me to make meat. This morning I awoke to rain, but is supposed to let up so will try to go out this afternoon.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Now wait a minute Don! Kimber gets up at 4 am and makes you breakfast AND lunch?!!! Then you grab your GORGEOUS Blacktail with AWESOME myrtlewood limbs and go hunt in God's INCREDIBLE creation in total solitude....so are you blessed or what? lol   Glad to see you are enjoying your fall season. Got any nicks in the bow yet? Probably thinking of selling it by now!  lol  Bet you'd love to see the critter that made those rubs! How long is your season? Are they rutting back there now?  This could get very interesting!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Snag bow season here in Oklahoma runs till Jan 15, so plenty of time. Rut usually kicks in around November 15th. No nicks on the bow yet. And not selling it. LOL

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Well Guys and Gals, I hunted again Wednesday. I arrived and got on stand at 2:30 pm. With the moon full and up all night, they are not moving in the mornings. I can not believe the number of pecans and walnuts in the area around my tree stand. A lot of oaks too, but no acorns this year. I am hoping they will eventually find this site. Plenty of sign around, but not hitting these trees yet. Guess there are plenty more, but as the season goes on I expect them to be here. I saw some turkeys again at 3:0 pm, but were about a 100 yds away. I got my turkey tag and I guess they heard about it. LOL

Squirels and red headed woodpeckers and crows every where. As has been the case, at about 6:00 pm two does and two yearlings came out about 50 yrds away and were working towards me. Then a nice eight point came out behind them. They were all coming down the tree line towards me, but at 40 yrds they turned and eased off across the clearing. I grunted at the buck, but he was not impressed. At least I know they are here. May have to find a tree a little closer to where they are coming out. Had another great day. I am back to work next week and we have a trip to Dallas this weekend, so had to pack it up for now. Here are a few more pics of this great place.

The first pic is looking from the truck. My stand is up the little valley and around to the left in center of pic.
The second pic is from the base of the tree I hunt looking across the clearing it is about 75 yards across it and thick every where else.

Here we are back at the truck and loading up to leave. Hope everyone has as good a season as I have had so far.

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Keep at it Bubba, maybe move your stand like you said. Also sit that water hole you found.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
Donald...that bow is stunning and I like that quiver also...who made it?
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©