3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thermacell ?????  (Read 471 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Thermacell ?????
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
This is my third season of using the thermacell's. The prior two years I thought they were the best thing to come down the pike...
This year mine hasn't been nearly as effective.
I'm sure I'm better with it that without but I still have mosquitos around me and biting.. I'm using new matts too... Anyone else notice this?
Maybe we have some new hybrid mosquitos that are immune to the fume!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thermacell ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I've notice that too Pat.  Not in-effective, but less effective.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Maybe you need to replace the unit itself.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Chris, you may be right but the heating element is turning red and sure gets hot...  

I'm thinking the impregnated matts are weaker..

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Apex Predator:
I've notice that too Pat.  Not in-effective, but less effective.
Ditto...I thought it was just my imagination.    :confused:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Maybe a bad batch of pads?

Here in Washington state during the early elk season we had the worst mosquitos in memory.  This was because of a long snowy winter and cool summer.  Some of the snow up high never melted.  It's a recipe for lot's of bugs.   :eek:  

I've used a Thermacell for the last couple years and this was the only thing that made camp survivable.    :campfire:    For me at least it seemed to work normally.  Who knows why?
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
Pat, sounds like the unit is good. Maybe you should buy another refill kit and see if it works any better. Hopefully you just have a bad batch of pads and Thermacell is not putting less repellent in the pads.

That would be one way to take a great product and make it dang near useless.

Let us know what happens. This is one of my must have's in my pack.

Chris

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
the thing I notice with mine is that it does take a few minutes to heat up then once it does, it takes a few minutes for the smoke to really affect the bugs, so for the first five minutes its hell swating all the bugs, but after that its like there are none in the area
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I usually turn mine on when I leave the truck so its good and hot by the time I get in my stand.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
The mosquitoes are mutating. Becoming immune to it! hahah... Just kidding.... If those suckers get any more vicious here in the swamp land, I'm giving up on hunting... We don't really have a winter so they are just about year round....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Those things work on skeeters but do they have any effect on black flies up north, just incase I do a spring bear hunt!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Make sure you keep it horizontal. That way the whole pad is used. Had mine for 2 yrs. and going strong. I understand they make the pads in earth scent now.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
mine worked great tonight

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
This is my third season with this unit...I think it needs to be replaced.  It just doesn't seem to get at as hot as it used to, so maybe that explains why it is less effective.  Certainly was a good investment. 2 1/2 seasons for only 25 bucks.    :clapper:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 01:37:00 AM »
I've been thinking about getting one of these.

Do places like Wally World carry them or their refills?  If I have to go to a Cabellas or somethin' similar every time to get a refill it might not be worth it.

Sure could used one the last two times I was out.

Reading the posts above about the lesser effectiveness some of you are haveing this year, I have a few questions.  One, were you refills old or new?  If old, do they have an expiration date?  If new, do you think maybe they've changed the recipe of the repellent?  That would kinda suck to take something that really worked and water it down to save a few bucks on refills.

If anyone has old refills AND new ones, maybe you could check the labels for differences in the percent of active ingredient?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
Dave,

You can get the unit and refills from Walmart...

I have never had an issue with mine not working effectively but I do need to replace one of mine since the igniter seems to be going out.

Curious about self life though since I buy enough refill packs to last a couple months at a time.

Chris

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I was in the Florida swamp yesterday morning. I too turn mine on when I leave the truck, they do need a few minutes to get hot. I've had mine for 7 or 8 years. One of the 1st ones. If you think it's not working, turn it off for a few minutes!!

If there's a breeze, it does seem to move the "cloud" away from you. Always set it on the upwind side.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Went to Wallmart tonight to get one and couldn't find them.  Finally got help and we found the spot on the shelf where they were supposed to be...  $22.88 and $6 something for refills but all gone and when he scanned the bar code he said it could be 2 weeks till they get more.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline plumbocop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
This is one tool I don't go into the woods in S.E. Alabama in ealy fall without.  You could come out a few pints short.  I love this and hope the company hasn't listened to some young idiot saying "we can make more money if we put less chemical in the pad".  I think some boys here would storm the corperate offices if we found that out.  I wander if the guys from Thermacell visit Tradgang?

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
If you think it's not working, turn it off for a few minutes!!

Exactly my thought!  These things are great. I'm still using pads from last season. So I haven't noticed any difference.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©