3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wrist grip  (Read 789 times)

Offline teshunkawitko

• Trad Bowhunter
wrist grip
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
what is high and low wrist grip defined as and other than personal preference what are the pros and cons of each style/method

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wrist grip
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
The easiest way to describe a high wrist hold is, if you hold your arm out with thumb up, let your hand drop down. You will then have nearly a straight line across the top or your arm to your index finger. Contact with the bow is primarily in the web between your thumb and index finger.

A low wrist hold is best described as just holding your arm out and making a fist. Contact with the bow will be fairly even across your palm.

Most recurves are best shot with a high wrist hold. This is generally insured by the shape of the riser.

Longbows have a straighter grip (some are indeed straight), and shoot best with a low wrist hold. Some archers prefer a longbow style grip on recurves and use a low wrist hold. Conversely, some modern longbows have a recurve style pistol grip and force a high wrist hold.

Shoot whatever works best for you. I shoot high wrist with my recurves and low wrist with my longbow. The long bow doesn't like a high wrist hold.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©