3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is Scent Lok a gimmick??  (Read 1834 times)

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is Scent Lok a gimmick??
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
U.S. Marshalls did a test with scent absorbing products. Not sure if it was Scent-loc brand or not. The tracking dogs had no problem following the scent. That says to me its not fool proof.

However, I think LESS scent gets out through any type of "cover-all" as long as your trying to be scent free to begin with.

The most scent is produced by your breath, so watch for strongly odored food products, any type of alcohol absorbed into the blood stream is evaporated from your system by the lungs, only the excess is urinated and sweat out. If you smell that bad, you are drinking to much!

Anything you can do to give yourself an advantage with odor, along with playing the wind as your primary concern, can only increase your odds.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
When ya consider that the critters are smelling in parts per billion, and every breath you take fills the air with human odor...its amazing that junk like this ever got off the drawing board.....

I would imagine there is some one some where right now living large and shaking their head in bewilderment but thankfull none the less at the gullibility of the massess. And then there is rap music...nuf said....

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
I use it, I like it, don't care what the hillbillys and their bloodhounds say. I think it MINIMIZES human scent to a level that deer find less dangerous, kinda where wingnut was going. The stuff i wear is comfortable and layers well. I only wear the inner layer Scentlok.
Peace and Good Hunting!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Chlorophyll it is proven to reduce the odor us humans emit. I started my doses today. The doc said take them a week before season starts and continue thru the season. It must work as they give it to patiens with colostomy bags. Shawn
Shawn

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
When I tried it Shawn I was crapping pea soup, can't remember if it smelled or not!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline plumbocop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I have a friend who is wealthy and buys every gimmick that comes down the pike.  I watched him carry his scent loc gear in a bag stapped to his climber, put it on at the tree and proceed to sweat down here in S.E. AL.  He looked like he was trodding across country and needed provisions when he was going to stand.  He fell asleep on stand and ran off some does cause he has sleep "apnea"? I got a kick out of him.  He also shoots a high dollar Mathews. Stay clean n hunt the wind.

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Most of these discussions focus on the question: "Does it work?" I think the real question is : "Should we use it even if it does?" We are traditional bowhunters... our decision to turn our backs on technology can't end just because we're carrying longbows and recurves in the woods. We have to look a little bit farther. If something like this allowed me to kill an animal I would not have killed otherwise, that means I made a mistake as a hunter and didn't deserve to kill it in the first place. I am NOT slamming the choices anyone else makes... just explaining why I've decided to hunt the way I do. Cheers, Don

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
I agree with you Don, but where do we draw the line?  I think that traditional is the bow we hunt with and not the method we use.  If it was method, well camo, treestands, binos, eyeglasses, etc are modern technology that aid in taking an animal that you would not have killed otherwise.

I for one don't care what I guy wears or even hunts with, if they hunt with a trad mind then they are cool with me.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
In answer to your original question "Is Scent-Loc a gimmick?"...YES.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Ron Goodrum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Well I use it. As to whether or not it contains scent I couldn't tell you. I didn't buy it for that reason. I stay clean and keep the wind in my face. I bought it because the clothing itself is functional for the stand hunting I do.I have the full season fleece. It's quiet, I like the cut as it allows me free range of motion. It cuts the wind and sheds light rain and snow. The liner suit layers nicely with the outerwear.I bought mine on clearance and the price was right. The gloves, face mask, and stocking cap are functional and of good quality. I freeze to death wearing cotton and wool gives me the heeby jeebies itchy wise. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the clothing itself is of good quality with features that have the bowhunter in mind. The scent control aspect, well if it's there great, but I sure don't rely on it.
" I didn't do it. NOBODY saw me do it. YOU can't prove anything ".

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
i don't believe it works for a second. surprising how many people actually use it though. sell anything if you market it well enough i guess.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Is Scent Lok a gimmick??[\\quote]

Yes.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Our local news station about a year and a half ago, did a test with Police dogs, and "hidden scent lock clad humans"..

The dogs found em every time... It was a story on the effectiveness of the Scent Lock type technology..

My vote: Gimmick.... and an expensive one to boot.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I agree with Don, we just keep looking for more things to shortcut the adventure.  It's like asking someone else what ethical is...if you don't know, there is already an issue because it's personal.

In the years we have been hunting deer, they have solely relied on their wits, which apparently are much better than ours as a whole. Hunt them using your wits and the wind....not some factory made solution to make us "better."

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
I've seen more than a few people get busted when the wind shifted, while wearing it. nuff said. I believe they tell us to forget the wind and just hunt. yeah right.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Where to draw the line? That question is as old as the hills, and my answer is always the same: draw it wherever you want to. My line just doesn't include high tech clothing designed to eliminate a game's animal's keenest defensive sense through something that comes in a box. Others are perfectly welcome to see it differently. As for the original question, I would recall the words of PT Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute." Don

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Yes.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Hmm...Does Scent-Lok work?...Well it does if your Lee Lakosky...

But, out here in Montana (AKA, Elk) country... we're smart enough to know that the saying "Forget the wind...just hunt"...Was definitely not coined by an elk hunter!

New motto..."Forget the scent-lok...just hunt the WIND"

Just my .02 cents

Peter Iacavazzi

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Gimmick? Yes.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Mr. Thomas and Mr. Stout had to say.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I need my clothes to breath if they don't won't they die?

Hunt with the wind in your face and smoke a pipe with Captain Black.  Thats what our grandfathers did.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©