3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muzzy Phantoms  (Read 803 times)

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Muzzy Phantoms
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
I was always impressed with the results they had on Fred Eichler's videos so I Bought a couple of packs of theese. They are without a doubt the dullest broadhead I have ever seen. Is this normal for theese heads? Even the bleeders are dull you can put your thumb on the blades, push down and run it up and down the blade. I don't know wether to return them or sharpen them like a fixed blade head. Do any of you guys use theese?  Thanks Greg

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muzzy Phantoms
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Hmmm...just before I clicked on the computer I mounted 3 new Phantoms for tomorrow. I only had to use the butchers steel a few strokes on each one for them to pop hair. The inserts are so sharp, I was scared of them.

I dunno Greg. I've gone thru 4- 3paks this year and haven't had a dull one yet.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
What weight ones are you shooting Biggie?

I have some stainless 220s and while not the dullest ever, they did need to be sharpened.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Interesting, I've found them to be pretty scarp out of the package and if they weren't their not hard to make sharp.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Theese are the 125 grain 4 blades. Biggie we are not even in the same ballpark forget popping hair, these won't pop a balloon. Greg

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
I have been using them for a few years now. The 220 grain models. I have honestly never had a problem with them right out of the pack. I even think Recurve 50LBS cut his arm checking one of mine.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I use the 220's. I'm puzzled.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
I used 125's this year came out of the package real sharp. One shot on complete pass through on a doe quartering away.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
I just ordered some 125's and hope they are pretty sharp, because i am sharpening challenged, if you know what i mean.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Just a question,do they make a pratice head that you might have been sent by mistake if not you my have just gotten a bad batch. Send them back they will make good on them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Surprised Mark Land has not responded to this yet. He will make things right.

I have been using Phantoms for a couple of years and will say it has not taken me much to get them razor sharp as they are already pretty good right from the start.

Offline buxntoms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I have been shooting Muzzy Phantoms (both 100 grain and 125 grain) since they first came out and find them to be very sharp right out of the package.  I also shoot the Muzzy MX-4 in 125 grain in my compound bow and find them to be very sharp and deadly.  I think you may have gotten a pack that just needed to be sharpened.  One thing I know is that Muzzy will fix any problem and just might send you a pack!
"Know Your Land....Know Your Prey!"

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
When not using Grizzly ElGrande's, I use Phantom 220's.  Like Biggie, I just need to touch them up (at most)to have them ready to go.  Honestly, I've gone through several npacks in last two or three years and have never had a dull one.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
What do you guys mean when you say it doesn't take much to get them sharp? I thought they were supposed to be sharp out of the package. these are the first replaceable blade heads I've bought in 25 years. maybe I misunderstood, I thought you could use them right out of the package. Do you sharpen them with a file, or just touch up on a stone. How much sharpening should you have to do? Every body keeps saying they've never seen a dull one but in the next sentence they say they just needed a light sharpening? Greg

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
GregD.
There's sharp and then there's hunting sharp.
I don't know if I've ever heard of a reusable head that was sharp enough to hunt with out of the package. Some of the replacables are but they're nothing more than razorblades and are too flimsy to suit most bowhunters.
Again, I only use a butchers steel on the Phantoms. 3 or 4 licks on each blade. They get bumped around in the package. Like pulling them in and out of your quiver a coupla times will knock the "oh baby" off of them.

I wouldn't dare push down and run my finger over one even before I touched it up.

Mark is huntin' I'm sure he'll bounce in here soon.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
I got three new packs of the 220s in a trade last fall and not one of them didn't need some work way beyond a steel.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
GregD.
There's sharp and then there's hunting sharp.
I don't know if I've ever heard of a reusable head that was sharp enough to hunt with out of the package. Some of the replacables are but they're nothing more than razorblades and are too flimsy to suit most bowhunters.
Again, I only use a butchers steel on the Phantoms. 3 or 4 licks on each blade. They get bumped around in the package. Like pulling them in and out of your quiver a coupla times will knock the "oh baby" off of them.

I wouldn't dare push down and run my finger over one even before I touched it up.

Mark is huntin' I'm sure he'll bounce in here soon.
A bit off-topic sorry. The 'Ashby' broadheads from Alaska Bowhunting are hunting sharp out of the box reusable blade.

Offline sonofabuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
I just got a pack of the 220's in yesterday. And the main blade and bleeder blade will shave hair off out of the package.
Combat Vet

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
I am a retailer and bought the last two packs I had 125s and I was disgusted sharp yes no problem there but the blades are loose and rattle something fierce it is so bad you can not carry them in a bow quiver it is bad thought bout super glue but why should I have to what really is upsetting is thinking about all the bow hunters I sold these things to urg!!!!!!!!!
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
I've bought 3 packs recently and all but one head were shaving sharp out of the package..a few licks on the KME and they are scary sharp.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©