3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would you do ???  (Read 1999 times)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
What would you do ???
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »
A guy at work told me that one of the guys on their lease shot a buck out of his son's new treestand that they put 8 hours into setting it up and had pics of the buck from their trail cam.

The guy knew they had a new stand out, but did not know exact location and knew they were working on this big buck. He found the stand, got into it and killed the big buck.

First, would you hunt someone else's stand? Even on leased land that was yours to hunt?

Second, what would you do if this happened to you?

bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would you do ???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
I don't know much about lease rules. But if I'm in with a few guys on a lease and they wanted to hunt my stand I would'nt have a problem. Now if they argeed on not hunting on each others stands then you have to give it to them both barrel so to speak.

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »
No. That's chicken**** and the guy knows it. What CAN you do? I guess just put the word out on him so people know what kind of guy he is.

I would think he will feel at least a little shame everytime he sees the antlers (tainted trophy). Knowing that is probably all the satisfaction you're gonna get.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
My 1st reaction would be a good 'ol southern beat down. But ya gotta remember, it's only a deer.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
I let people hunt my stands unless I need it to cool down or I was on to a trophy buck I know is coming through as you were. If I put in all the scouting and set-up to be able to do that I don't see why you couldn't ask someone to stay off your stand.

I would definitely have to confront him. Is there anyway he could have thought he had at least a tacit agreement to hunt that stand? If not then I would let him know that I would be telling people about what he did.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 07:28:00 AM »
Depends on the rules/agreements.
If there where none, this shows there should have been.

Steve

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
That is the type of person that I do not want in my hunting club.  He lets others do all the work and then he jumps in front to get the prize.  If that type of behavior is legal in their lease rules/agreement, does not mean it is the right, correct, or ethical behavior.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
That is why I hunt alone most of the time and keep my hunting spots to myself now.
John

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
The next time the guys on the lease seen him, he would look like rocky racoon with black rings under both of his eyes.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
You put in the time,the work and all the effort! This person has no values, he is not a hunter in my book, he is a theif!!!  I'm with sipsey on this one!! only my wife knows where i hunt and where my stands are, and she don't hunt!! i also put up my stands now so nobody can hunt from them!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I have one hunting partner and we never hunt each others stands although if he asked I would have no problem. Some things just aren't done. Old boy needs the Barbie doll treatment. Slip your thumbs under his chin and pop his head off.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Jeff said he was going to let him and everyone else know what he done.

In my book, he has no values, he is not a hunter, and is a thief just like jimmerc says. Given that he won't have a problem telling everyone what a great hunter he is because he has the buck to prove it.

I would vote to kick him off the lease but Jeff says that will cause a problem.

I suggested Jeff start using climbing stands so the lazy bum could not hunt his stand.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
No I would not hunt someones stand without permission to do so.. As far as causing a problem to boot the guy... Well, we would have a problem because this guy would be gone. If not, my lease "money" and I would be soon enough.

JDSIII
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Hunting from someone else's stand is very much like hunting private land. If a guy doesn't have permission in advance, then he shouldn't go near the stand or even hunt within 200 yrds of it. This is simple common courtesy.

When a grown man has to steal a deer from a kid... well, that says a lot about that individual, doesn't it.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I am with Biggie, I have had this happen to me with my own brother. I even told him I was gonna leave the stand go until at least Halloween. Guess what? I caught him coming out of there one evening, brother or no brother he got what he deserved. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
Tell him that he ain't in Kansas(or where ever he comes from)no more...and then kick his tail. Always use a catch phrase.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
This person has no values, he is not a hunter in my book, he is a theif!!!
As far as causing a problem to boot the guy... Well, we would have a problem because this guy would be gone. If not, my lease "money" and I would be soon enough.
Hunting from someone else's stand is very much like hunting private land. If a guy doesn't have permission in advance, then he shouldn't go near the stand or even hunt within 200 yrds of it. This is simple common courtesy.
When a grown man has to steal a deer from a kid... well, that says a lot about that individual, doesn't it.
These guys pretty much covered how I feel about and what I would do.

I would vote to kick him off the lease but Jeff says that will cause a problem.
What kind of problem? What he might get mad? Big deal. Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest thing to do.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline plumbocop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
Mmm, Mmm, Mmm.  I hope this boy wasn't hunting with a Trad bow.  We'd have to pay a visit.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. A fellow who had just moved up here shot a buck that dressed out at 237 and scored 150" out of my ground blind with a rifle. The land while private is open to hunters and sometimes them's the breaks. I had three years invested in that buck and as anyone from Vermont can tell you one with mass like that is real rare here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Moral: Know thy hunting partners. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©