3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would you do ???  (Read 2000 times)

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would you do ???
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I wouldn't hunt another persons stand unless invited to do so. Always thought it was bad luck. Also a safety risk, as you never know if its hung properly or sturdy.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
The buck in my avatar was the biggest buck shot on the property. They had pictures of him and everything. When I was invited down to hunt they said take a doe or mature buck. Well in my estimation this was a mature buck. I didn't know at the time that it was the buck in the picture. That was four years ago and I still feel bad. They hadn't let anyone but family hunt there, ever. I could have shot a small buck that morning. I don't know how similar this really is to your situation, but I've wondered what others thought.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Sounds like no permission was granted so I'd say the shooter was a low down skunk and I'd let all of the lease members know what he is.  Maybe you'll drive him out by shunning him.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Aggravating?  Yes...  But as someone else has stated, "it's only a deer".  I'd definitely confront the guy.  I'd definitely have issue if there was an agreement to not do this.  And even if not, it violates a gentlemen's agreement for sure.  Worthy of a discussion with this guy and everyone on the lease.

But definitely not worth any kind of physical altercation (unless you are bigger than him...LOL).
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
I have had this happen with my own father    :knothead:   from a natural ground blind but he only wounded the buck   :banghead:  , which in turn compounded the problem.  I told him pretty much what all of you stated, keeping in mind it was my father, in a respectful way but there was some tension there for a while.  I, like you feel if you can't "put in your own work" then do us all a favor and stay out of our hunting spots unless there is a reason you can't do it(physical limitations etc.) and a prior agreement has been made.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
In Ilinois, there is nothing illegal about hunting someone else's stand, while they aren't there. (unfortunately) Let it be a lesson. If he were tresspassing or something like that, well that's different. You'll do more by spreading the word about him than confronting him, because guys like that just don't care.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Legal or not it is not right and should not be done unless it was oked ahead of time.I would tell the fellow what I thought and explain the rules for the future in no uncertain terms so he would understand what he should and should not do any where around me.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I dont hunt from stands
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Sorry boys, its hunters code, you do not move in on a guy who is hunting a certain buck or having luck in a certain area. Its just not done. He would be out at our farm. He doesnt need to be told not to hunt there or anything like that. It goes without saying. I know its only a deer, but real friends wouldnt do that to ya. Up here its called a northern beat down.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Is this a bad situation that has caused some bad feelings? Yes! Here is what we don't know, what is the general "rule" on this lease? On our lease, we all agree that any empty stand is fair game. We all help put up each other's stands so I guess we all put in the work. I have hunted other's stands and they have hunted mine. One morning a guy on the lease shot a deer out of one of my stands (pretty good deer, too). I met him at the gate as I was dragging out a deer I shot out of his stand about the exact same time.

If the guys on the lease agreed that “to each his own” was the rule, the fella did the wrong thing. On our lease we can't do that because it is nowhere near big enough to start calling dibs on any certain deer, so we make it clear up front.

I would be upset as well if this happened to me. Since we don't really know the whole situation, our recommendations all seem to be a little harsh. If this guy really does deserve the treatment recommended, this will not have been a first offense. Bad actors are bad actors because they have a track record of acting bad. I am lucky to have good guys with me on my lease. The same feelings would have probably happened even if the guy shot the deer all they way on the other side of the property. Perceived ownership is tough to reconcile.

It is more difficult since a young person was involved. This makes for an even better reason to set a good example and handle this in a proper way.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
That sounds kind of like the guy who always wants to fish the front of the bass boat so he's always casting into new water.  Too concerned about his own desires to consider others.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
That is why i try and carry a stand in and put it up the day I hunt and take it out with me when I leave. I also pull out the steps on the ones I leave out. Most guys are to lazy to screw in steps and just jump into the first stand they see. Bad deal, hope you get some resolution.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
I hunt public land exclusively I come across empty stands all the time and what I do is back out of the area. To me hunting from another guys stand is just like sleeping with your friends girl. This guy is a gutless piece of crap.
I would confront him and tell him what I thought of him and I would never talk to him again.
Just my feelings.
Brian
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
cut down the tree he was in so no one can ever use it again.confront him with it, he needs to be told he was wrong becasue he doesnt realize it on his own.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Lease or no lease. Agreement or no agreement. You do not hunt another persons stand unless youu ask them right before you do it. I don't mean ask a guy this year and hunt it forever. Me and longbowben have been hunting together for a long time now and we have an agreement that we hunt each others stands. But out of courtesy I still ask him a day or two in advance if i can hunt it or not. Most of the time I won't even ask cause i have my own.

doeboy-whats the tree got to do with it? Never hurt anybody.

Biggie and Shawn hit it right   :thumbsup:  

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Whats done is done.  You can let him know how you feel but it probably wont make a difference to him.

I learned long ago that most of the people I run across in the woods have a different sense of right and wrong behavior then I.

The best thing to do is set up your stands in such a way that they can't just walk up and hunt it and don't tell anyone about big deer your patterning.  It still won't stop them but it will make their effort a little more.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
In my recent book 'My Neck of the Woods,' Ch. 30 is devoted to this very topic.  'A Personal Stand' previously appeared in Bowhunter Magazine and I got a ton of response to that article, obviously hitting a nerve.  When I get to my stand, I want it to be fresh.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Could be some background that we do not know about. I have seen folks go and set up a "stand" in areas that any reasonable person would consider "club ground" open to all. And others still go and set up a "stand" when they were not the only members who knew of a particular buck. It's called "Squatting" an area out. Most leases have too many members - and frankly Stands left in  the woods should be left for ANY member to hunt. I  say that because I would rather have members share stands - than stink up the woods hanging extra stands. Communication is the key though - at ALL the clubs we belong to we share stands all the time. Public land I carry my stand in - be it a Chippewa or Lone Wolf - been doing it ever since I went to stand in Utah and a guy was climbing into my ultra lite - be politely backed off immediately - but get this - every single person I have ever talked to in Utah thinks it is OK to sit a stand they find?!?!?!? - as to this particular situation I would probably move to get all parties concerned out of the club.
<>< <----------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Ooops - and the other question - NO I would not hunt someone else's stand.
<>< <---------------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
if i was told by the person that i was welcome to hunt his stand i would, i give permission to good friends to use my stands and i am very happy for them if they get one.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©