3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shrew owners ???  (Read 875 times)

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
shrew owners ???
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
If you were ordering a new one today what length would you get?  I'm getting the shrew fever real bad after reading how everyone that has one loves it.  No one is selling them, that's for sure!
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shrew owners ???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
60"+  I have had a few now, they are fast for their weight.  they get tempermental in the sub 60" range.  my favorite is 62"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Depends on whether you want a Super Shrew or Scout with the longer riser or a Classic Hunter or Lil Favorite with the shorter riser. In the short riser bows, a 56" is plenty and a 54" may work for you depending on your draw length. I have a 56" Classic Hunter and will have a 54" soon, so I will know more how the 2 inches affects me at my 29 1/2" draw length. I know that the 56" is great for me, and BobW says it is perfect at his 32" draw length. I don't know too much about the longer riser bows, but the comments by Matty are probably accurate for the Super Shrew and the Scout. In case you don't know, the Scout and the Lil Favorite are the recurve models, and the Super Shrew and Classic Hunter are the longbow models.

I have a couple of Shrews, with another one on the way and two more on order. They are great bows. Since Gregg Coffey only makes about 80 a year now and has only made about 250 total, there are not a lot of them in circulation. People who own them like them and don't sell them very often. The Shrew is not the only great bow out there, but it is certainly one of the best! You won't be sorry if you buy one. Call up Ron LaClair and order one. I recommend the Classic Hunter. If you call today you will probably get it in time for at least some of next year's hunting season. Also, the bows look great if that means anything to you -- it does to me. Even though you have to wait a year, you can pick out the materials you like in the bow and get exactly what you want; and besides that, the bow is well worth the wait. You might want to think about the getting a Bow Bolt if you like the convenience of a takedown bow for travel. Other than the expense and some limitations on the materials that can be used in the riser, there is no disadvantage in having the Bow Bolt, and it sure is handy.

Allan

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
Took the words right out of my mouth...looks like I don't have to post....  :saywhat:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
The longest bow Gregg makes is a 60" SS, I got one and it is fine at 29.5 draw. Gregg said the 56" Classic will handle 30"+ better than the 60" because of the extra reflex in the tips.

I also got a 56" CH and it feels just a good at my draw as the 60"SS. Ive also shot the 54" CH and would take that in a second if the 56" wasnt available. Lots of guys are drawing the 54" CH to 29-30" with no complaints.

Get your name on the list and you have 11 months to decide.

Eric

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I draw 27" on my longbow.  The fever is gettin bad.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
well Allan covered it    :thumbsup:

i have a 56" super shrew draw it to just short of 29" love it just perfect for me. the Bow-bolt is really nice if you can spend the extra $
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
If I were ordering another one, I'd do what I did before. Explain to Ron what kind of hunting you will mostly do with it (tree stand, ground blind, etc.), go over with him specifics about your draw length (not everyone measures this correctly or even the same way)etc...

Also, you might want to discuss your age vis a vis draw weight. I wanted a bow I'd be comfortable shooting for the rest of my life. I wound up with a 53 lb draw Super Shrew Gold. I love it and I always will.

Ron dissuaded me from buying a 56 inch long bow with my 27 1/2 inch draw length. I went with the 58 incher based on his advice.

He is really experienced when it comes to matching the customer with the right bow.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
I ordered a Classic Hunter--56", carboon/bamboo limbs--from Ron on December 12th. He called Saturday and said they'll start the build in a couple of weeks. I've shot a number of Shrews and can atest that they are great bows.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
Well it all depends on your preference of what type of bow you like.  Personaly I think the Classic Hunter is the best bow out of all the Shrew bows (not that there is a bad Shrew) as it is short, fast, smooth, 0 finger pinch and 0 hand shock.  It's a long bow but shoots a smooth as any recurve I have had.

I have a 30 inch draw and I have two Classic Hunters. One is 54" @ 55lbs and one is 56" @ 57lbs.  They both are great bows but I favor the 54 as it is a beautiful bow.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
My son Smith and I share a number of Shrews, and have two father/son sets. Have a Classic Hunter on order to make a third set. We have Shrews in 58", 56" and 54". All shoot great and limits are shooter determined.

We have two Chameleon Shrews that are almost identical in specs, except the length. Mine is 56" and Smith's is 54". We both draw 27". Honestly, I like my son's bow when hunting out back on our property as I still hunt through some thick brush and that 2" difference makes a difference. Both bows feel about the same when shooting.

Remember, when you order ask for the accuracy package and some of the "secret options" such as the solar powered MP3 player and GPS deer locator ;o)
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
1.  There aren't any Super Shrews over 60".  There are Griffins over 60"...

2.  I have had them between 52" and 58" and my favorite (2) are both 58".  

3.  With a 27" draw you could get any length you want, just depends on how you will use it, but a 58" works fine in my Double Bull.  The Bow Bolt is a VERY worthwile option.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
The design of the Shrew bows is not a recent innovation as some may think. Check out this ancient cave drawing...   :readit: ....   :rolleyes: ....   :biglaugh:    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
The 54in Classic Hunter witha Shrew quiver is the best package for hunting I have found. I also have 54in Lil Favorite but prefer the Classic Hunter overall. Gregs bows are top notch quality. Mine both have the built in grunt call which is a handy option for stalking. The call will not stick in cold weather and sounds real.
Out Door Dan

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
The one I owned was a 58"er. I have a 27" draw. But you should go ahead and ask Ron what he recommends.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
The design of the Shrew bows is not a recent innovation as some may think. Check out this ancient cave drawing...    :readit:  ....    :rolleyes:  ....    :biglaugh:      

Ron, I've always known you to be a pretty straight up guy for advertising and everything else, but this is a picture of me drawn when I was a tad bit thinner shooting my Super Shrew Samurai, not a cave man drawing.  :biglaugh:  

It's amazing what a few apple pies will do to a man's body after his metabolism drops.    ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
My experience agrees with Oddan ... 54" Classic Hunter. I draw 28" flat, so Bowless, you can possibly get by with a 52". Give Ron a call. My only regret is that I didn't order a take-down while I was at it. With the new airline regulations and prices, they are almost essential for traveling bowhunters. I am currently saving up for the deposit to order an excact blueprint of my CH, only in take-down. Bowless is right about Shrew owners not selling very often ... unless you're a lefty. I'm thinking about switching in order to cut the wait! Dave

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Oh heck, get a couple of each in different lengths.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobW:
Oh heck, get a couple of each in different lengths.....
Yup you can't go wrong with any of them!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I have a 56" and 54" Shrew bow. I think the 56" is little more forgivening to shoot but I still can hit the kill zone pretty easy with pratice using the 54" all day long at 25 yards on my 3D deer target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©