3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CRAP! Elbow pain....  (Read 520 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
CRAP! Elbow pain....
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
This shouldn't be happening to me, I'm still young!
My bow arm elbow has really been acting up lately from shooting my longbow. I'm letting it rest quite a bit so I can't shoot a whole lot, and this is hunting season. I read on another thread that it's probably tendonitis and I should give the tendons time to heal.
Any other advice?

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CRAP! Elbow pain....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Not trying to stir a hornets nest but how heavy is your bow, the weight of pull? I'm just curious.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Stop shooting.

If you are a hunter Im guessing you cant stop hunting, so limit your self to 2 or 3 target shots a day and not all at once.

If you keep shooting it will get worse. Ideally take a few weeks off(how long really depends on how bad you have let the tendinitis become) from shooting then start again at a much slower pace and stop as soon as you feel the slightest ting of pain and take a few more days off.

If you let tennnis elbow heal then work up slowly you will completely recover.
If you dont it can nag you for the rest of your life.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
I would suggest go to your doctor and get his opinion.You could have tennis elbow,golfers elbow or bursitis.An elbow brace can help with the pain during shooting.I used an elbow brace when my elbow flared up,my doctor's suggestion.I was able to shoot without any pain at all with the elbow brace on.A couple of years ago I had some bursitis and nothing help it but rest and ice.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
I'm going through this very thing...I shot a ton this summer (all but 2 days in a one month period) and noticed the pain in September.  Figures I'd feel it late in the year and have to rest it.

I just took a week off…partly because of the pain and partly because of the fact I was out of town and couldn’t shoot.  I shot last night and it felt a lot better but it still hurts, I’ll add more tomorrow after I shoot tonight.  

I’m going to get a doctors opinion but figure time off is the only solution, I’ll rest it in late December or in January.  I want to continue to practice all fall as this is the most important time to be on your game.

I have an additional question…do longbows or recurves but more strain on the elbow?

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
My bow is 55# and I had only been shooting 40# bows before. My muscles built up, but I guess my tendons need more time to get used to the stress.
Does this happen to everyone?

I'm also on the swim team in winter, how do you think this will affect my elbow?
My guess is that it will help me recover faster, but could it hurt?

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Well have you tried more simple things like icing it for 20 min twice a day and taking naproxen?  Aleeve is the brand name for naproxin.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I get what they call "tennis elbow" from doing repetative tasks at work sometimes. It doesn't have to be heavy work, just a lot of the same motion will do it.I would go broke if I went to the doc everytime this happened.

I found the key to quick recovery is using a wrist brace along with an elbow brace. I was able to get high quality braces in the pharmacy section of my supermarket. I forgot how much I paid for them but they were worth every cent.

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I've been having the same problem and I'm only 31. It started bothering me after shooting my selfbow.
I know I should rest it, but I really like to shoot and we are into the second week of archery season here. I haven't been shooting as much and it is getting better. It's taken about a month and a half, though.
Good luck. I know what your going through.
Jaz

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I find my regular, very mild R/D longbow iritated my elbow with hand shock.  Switched to my homemade Hybrid TD longbow.  More weight and more R/D makes it less shocky.  Heavy arrow and a firm grip.  I broke my elbow in 3 places as a kid - at 49 years old, it can be sensitive.  Keep the draw weight down as well.  Good luck.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Jumping from 40 to 55 pounds is a huge leap! It also makes a difference what you shoot for a bow. Some have more hand shock, which will tend to exacerbate tendonitis. I have had it in both elbows. What has worked for me is sticking pretty exclusively to my Kanati (absolutely NO hand shock) at #46 pounds. The reduced weight and lack of shock have all but eliminated my tendonitis, and I still shoot a lot. I also tend to shoot several arrows, do something else for a while, then come back and shoot some more.

I can shoot a few arrows from my Mahaska longbow, but if I overdo it the pain returns.The Mahaska is a fine bow but has some shock and draws 55 pounds. I'm not knocking it, but I can't shoot it as much as the Kanati.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
I shoot a Bear Montana, which has very little or no hand shock. I barely notice it.

Bakes
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
I also have a pretty bent arm when I shoot, and a firm grip on the bow.
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I didn't really notice the hand shock on my Mahaska either until I shot the Kanati. Now it feels like the Mahaska really thumps me. It's not just the difference in weight either. I have shot my cousin's JK Traditions (Jason's earlier longbow) 52 @ 28" bow and it has no shock either.

I haven't shot a Montana though, so you may be correct.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©