3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage questions...  (Read 492 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage questions...
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I will be cutting some Osage this weekend that is dry…basically we have some trees that have been cut off a few years ago and there are stumps as tall as 15 feet.  If I cut them at the base and then again in 7 ft lengths what do I need to do to the ends of the logs?

Some are small diameter and some are as large as 15” or more, they are very dry and some of the tops will not be good.  We are going to cut down until we find good wood and then go from there.

Thanks for the help.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
I'd go ahead and slap some latex paint or wood glue on the ends just to be safe.  It doesn't take long, and if they are still a little green, it'll keep the ends from splitting.  

I'd also go ahead and split the logs into quarters or eights depending on diameter.  By spliting them, they'll dry a lot faster.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks...I believe they were cut around 2 years ago.  The stumps are all different sizes...both in diameter and length.  

If they’re dry and I leave them whole will this hurt anything?  I believe they are going to be used for limb cores and veneers.  They will also be used as risers for recurves and longbows.  We are going to cut some choice logs and limbs for staves; I’m looking forward to this whole event.

I think the staves should be split as you state but I might not be able to do both in the same weekend, the wood is over two hours away on our farm…so I don’t have a lot of time to complete everything.  I just want to make sure I will be doing things correctly during the process to make sure we don’t lose anything.

Thanks again…

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Are they dead?  You will have bug issues if so.  You should still be able to find some good wood though.  They will still be wet inside.  Definitely shellac the ends.  If you split into staves, shellac the last 6" or so at the end.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
A log left whole will stay wet for years, especialy if out in the weather.  If your sawing them, leave them whole as you say.  I sawed some osage a few years ago that was really green.  It didn't show any sighns of trying to warp when drying like some woods will.  

I love osage.

ch

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Saw your logs into 2" thick boards, seal the ends, stack them with stickers and give it a year(more is better) to dry. For staves I would at least split the logs in half or quarter with the ends sealed.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
What would be the best sealant?

Were going to dig into it this weekend to see what we have and how much.  I will post some pictures when I get a chance to show the process.  I can’t wait to see what is inside some of the logs.

Bug damage might be a problem but we should get some great wood when all is said and done.

Again as usual…thanks a bunch for the info.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:36:00 AM »
I use shellac but wood glue(TiteBond, Elmers)might be easier in the field. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
Spray polyurethane or spar varnish works to seal the ends as well. Hit it once before goin in the truck and once when you unload at home.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I like using wood glue, it makes a thick seal and dries clear so you can see the rings.

ch

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I like spray cans of shellac but they are a little pricey at about $4 a can. One can will do several log ends. For staves, look for rings 1/8" or larger and good dark to light ring thickness ratio (more dark than light wood) and bark that does not "barber pole" up the trunk so that when you split a log it should be reasonably straight splitting - not propeller around. For saw logs, the twist and ring ratio does not matter as much. You can split the logs when you get home if you can lift them whole onto the truck. Mark month and year on the staves.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
I've cut my best osage from standing hedge rowswhile clearing utility row. Logs seem to dry pretty well while standing and bug damage can be an issue. I would cut them down lad in the truck . take home and split into staves I never seal te ends but I have more osage than I can work in a years time.Remember self bows ain't rocket science. experment and learn as you go. If you screw up go cut mre logs. Good exercise for the body and soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©