3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NYS southern zone hunters  (Read 10526 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NYS southern zone hunters
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
tick...
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
well boys, I think I just blew it on the biggest buck in NY.   :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Some of you know about "HIM"... the buck I hunted all last year without even a sighting. Well yesterday at 1:30, I walked right into him at 20 yards. UGGG!!!!!   :banghead:    :banghead:  He was bedded in a blowdown in a wide open woods, all alone. No doe anywhere that I saw. I actually smelled him way before I saw him. I thought I spilled a bottle of Tinks in my pocket and stopped to check. As soon as I realized I hadn't spilled it, I knew instantly what was happening. I raised my head and made instant eye contact with the biggest buck I've ever seen. As soon as our eyes met he was GONE!

I actually thought he was dead and gone. Nobody has seen him or gotten trail cam pics of him this year (that they will admit to anyway) This is him last year, August of 2007.

He's significantly bigger this year with lots more sticker points off the G2 and G3 on both sides....

Makes me wish I still drank. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry.   :(
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
All is not lost, anything can happen in the next week. It is the rut you know   :readit:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: November 07, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I know Jim, but you and I both know how slim that chance is. My wife's brother-in-law that gun hunts our place has terminal CA and this will be his last season. He actually missed this deer last year so I'm praying Tom gets another chance at him. That would make my year.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
ME lol

...TOCK Im about to hit the clock.I'm outta here for the next 4 days ,work that is good luck guys
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
they definitly are on the move now! then dam blow downs, i can't tell ya how many bucks i have jumped by blow downs!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Brent, I hope he gets that buck. If you need a deer dog to help him out at all let me know.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Nice buck. I blew it tonight myself. I will try and post a quick story later. Shawn
Shawn

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
The rut must be Kicking in .My brother got a four point with his Traditional Pickup.I missed one with my Traditional park Avenue last night.We saw a large eight point chasing a couple does,while  on our  way to work Thurs. morning.Many more road kills this week also.
 Saturday should be a good day,i'm thinking.Good luck all.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I will be out in the am. Good luck to all who venture out.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
I'm heading out right now. I hunted yesterday morning but didn't see anything, and hadn't seen a deer for 7 days, so at 1 pm I went for a ride and spotted a doe and a real decent buck about 300 yards higher up in the woods than I usually see deer. I had to help my father-in-law all afternoon but my 14 year-old son went up there after school and had an encounter with a broken horned two point that was awesome. He went in and found a spot where he could see and set up under a Hemlock tree. The buck came in at 11 yards straight on. He then kinda saw Dylan and started turning broadside and walking away. Dylan whistled and he stopped at 18 yards but he didn't shoot because his self-imposed range is 13-14 yards. The buck left and Dylan saw where he was going and circled around in front of him two different times and had shots but didn't take them because he didn't feel they where good shots. I'm very proud of him  for the way he conducted himself and for going out on his own when I couldn't get out with him. He showed great restraint for not taking a bad shot. I'm hoping he'll get a shot soon as gun season starts next Saturday. Rob

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Well been out most of the day and never saw any deer. This has been a very slow year for me and I've only missed going out three days. I know the deer are out there as I saw five different bucks on a trail camera the first week of the season. I really can't explain why unless we're overhunting it. We're not going to the same spots time and time again, we're mixing it up. I'm gonna take the morning off and go grouse hunting as I've seen a lot of them and Dylan's gonna go for squirrels. Hope everyone else is having better luck. Rob

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
They moved good mid day around here.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Mid-day movement has been good for a week or so due to the dark moon. I feel up to talking about yesterday afternoon. I got in late so i decided to sit right behind the farmers barn. I have had the bracket in the tree for 3 years but have only set the stand once before. I climb in around 3;45 and the wind is west and is supposed to change to SW towards dark, which would be perfect. At 4;15 I look over my left shoulder and there is a lone doe. She feeds along a bit and is gonna head down a fenceline that will lead her away from me. I blow the bleat a few times and she heads my way. I watch her feed right to me(8 yds.) and she cuts behind me and down a trail I had cut in hopes the deer would follow it, she did. at 4:30 I look back and hear stands a big eight point with a real white rack. He is doing basicall y what she just did, so I blow the grunt just once real soft as he is only 45 yards away or so. He heads my way, slowly he works his way inot about 18 yards. He suddenly turns into the thick, but just goes in until his shoulders and head are in, he starts eating leaves off what I believe is a raspberry bush. I have no shot, he turns and comes out but is head on, I have a small hole to shoot thru but he is quartering at me and I am only shooting 53-54#s, so I pass. All of sudden the wind changes and comes straight north, his head comes up, he licks his noise and fidgets. I know he is gonna go, he stamps his foot once and again. Now he is turning and leaving real quick, walking dead away. At little over 30 yards I bleat loud with my mouth to stop him, he turns to look over his left shoulder and come broadside, I pick a spot and let it go. It looked good but skips off the top of his back. He whirls and starts sneaking off a little run in the thicket. all of a sudden he blows and comes barrelling back out into the pasture. he stops at 25 yards, this time he picks me off and sees me draw. I shoot again but he was long gone by the time my arrow arrived. iI immediately went and checked for my first arrow, the only thing I can figure is when he was sneaking off after my first shot he came face to face with my arrow sticking in a small tree, he smelled it and bounded back out into the field. Great buck, would of been my best by any weapon. I missed him for a reason and today I found out about a real giant right where i am hunting, but I get plenty of buck tags and would be happy with both!!  :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: November 09, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »
rain rain go away... was out sat. morning and go caught in heavy rain, came in and sat the rest of the day in front of the tv with football.my team pen state lose by 1 point in the last 8 secs of the game. Up 430 sunday and it is 41 degrees, still looks like rain maybe but will try again.

I know you can not get a deer from the living room.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
can't hunt today but the deer are definitly moving. the 6pt by my house FINALLY came out to the field to chase does as i walked my dogs around 6am this morning. he had been hanging back in the thick stuff and only coming out at night.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I saw zippo this morning, I'm going to fill up on bacon and eggs then hit the mid day shift, I would like to shoot another doe   :bigsmyl:   Here is a pic of Joe the other day when we went for squirrels

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
I just got in from hunting and saw zippo also. I have the trail of a nice buck. I saw him 3 times on the trail and discovered some new rubs today. I've just got to figure out how to get him. I have to set up on the side of a steep hill. I'm going to try camo and a natural blind.Had a great day. Hunted with my 15 year old son Ben. Couldn't have been better except if I brought the buck home!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
OK, don't tell him I said so, but someone's gotta ask BobW how many he missed this year.   :knothead:    :knothead:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Hey Bob how many deer did you miss this season   :scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©