3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NYS southern zone hunters  (Read 10512 times)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NYS southern zone hunters
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Here's the buck I took Sunday at 7:12 am. I was out with Peter Smith and was waiting awhile to  track him when I heard all kinds of brush breaking over by Peter and three deer came running past me. The area we hunt is so thick that a rabbit can't get trough parts of it ! It sounded like a tractor coming through the brush and I knew it could only mean one of two things. Either a buck was chasing a doe or Peter had just hit one. I was just thinking wow what a morning when I turned my cell phone and saw Peter's simple message " I GOT A DOE ". Peter had heart shot the doe and she only plowed through a little brush before it was all over.It was real cool to have a good friend take his first Trad deer with the same bow I had taken my first Trad deer with in the same area ! After dragging Peter's deer to the lane he helped my follow my deer. I shot the buck with my 1966 Grizzly , Purple Heart footed Cedar arrow with natural turkey feathers and a 125 grain eclipse head. Congrats to everyone else as well. PS another Trag Ganger has a story to tell (Swampbuck). If this picture is too big PLEASE resize it as my computer won't
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Thats a great buck! Congrats you two!
Im all set, all I have to do is wake up and get to my stand.
Good luck guys.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: November 10, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Congrads Pete Bob and Adam   :thumbsup:  

After sitting in the same stand from dawn ill dusk Sat without seeing a single deer and sitting again yesterday without seeing a deer I tried my future son in laws spot.

Hammered a Sm doe tha didn't go 40 yrds with my Centuar and a 2 blade magnus II.Got a complete pass thru and hope to maybe punch another doe tag tomorrow or better my buck tag...speaking of which had I been standing about 15 mins after I shot the doe a nice 2 yr old came in on the back side of the bush I had crawled up to.At that point he stopped 5yrds away dead down wind.Didn't blow outta there but didn't linger either

Bob stopped by with the deer they had shot yesterday very nice...

Now that I've broke my jynx this yr hopefully BobW will take care of his...good luck guys
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: November 11, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
Congrats Guys,
Nice buck Bob!  :thumbsup:  

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: November 11, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »
That's a fine buck you have there Bob, I'm sure glad that things came through for all three of you guy's.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: November 11, 2008, 05:21:00 AM »
Im off to the woods   :bigsmyl:

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: November 11, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Nice buck Bob!!!!   :thumbsup:  

Congrats on the Doe Tom!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
No problem Aram.  I went out again in the morning and did a great big loop high up the mountain glassing down as I went and saw nothing (cept for 2 more black squirrels...CHUCK!!!).  I should be back up that way for a few days after thanksgiving (sun through wed I think).  Out of (dis)respect for mike, I just wanted to put it out on the web that he missed a blind 4pter  :banghead:    :D     Talk to you soon.
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
good luck to all this week, get em while they are hot!

pete
You get what you get.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: November 11, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
I saw the doe by the horse this morning, looks like I'll take Fri. off so I can get the last day in before the big kaboom. I'm going to use my climber to make the adjustment I need to get her.

Offline dinorocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: November 11, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I saw the largest buck of my life during my evening hunt today!  He came upwind ~25 yards behind me.  I stretched my head around the tree and there he was...not moving for about 10-15 minutes.  He looked like an elk!  He knew something was not right and finally walked away.  That is probably why he was so big!  

I have never seen so many bucks (and very large) as I have this year (only 4 doe to ~12 bucks). Needless to say I have not yet harvested a deer in the three years hunting with my bow (home-made stick bow and arrows).  The first two years I even used my bow throughout regular season.  I'm trying to be patient and would be grateful for a deer of either sex.  

I have learned much from reading the various forums (thanks) and believe my problem is I need to "aim small" (I can hit a squirrel but not a deer!) and I have a tendency to "peak" after my shot.  Trying to get this right before the season ends!  

Cannot wait to tell the story of my first deer!

Good luck; three days left!

Dino
"Speedy arrow, sharp and narrow."  GD

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
congrats guys well done :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Same deer, same stand, same results. I missed the big four I have been chasing. Again. Saw four other bucks, including the one we now call operator-his one antler bends around his ear and ends up looking like a hands free mic. 37 turkeys and a very large owl too. Good day in the woods. Work is gonna drag tomorrow. Then maybe I can getout Thrusday and Friday.
They are chasing like crazy around here. Bleats, grunts....it all works!
Good luck everyone.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: November 12, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I hope were not all fizzling out   "[dntthnk]"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: November 12, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
I hope were not all fizzling out    "[dntthnk]"  
Jim,

From what I have seen, I don't feel it has really started...
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Looks like I gotta take off early even if I did just have the last 4 days off    :biglaugh:  

Maybe just maybe....

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: November 12, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Fizzled out...I'm finally taking a 3 day break from bowhunting. I've been off since late October bowhunting CT and Jersey.

My area here in NY is 3 pt or better so I've been hitting Jersey hard with Bamboo and Southpawshooter. I took one doe and spike in Ct and last Saturday, a 4pt in Jersey. We called this deer...in the rain...and as he circled downwind, he offered 35 yd shot.

The last thing I heard was a dull thump and my hot pink feathers stuck in his heart area. Bamboo(aka Mike Robin) witnessed the shot as he was 20 yds off to my right. The buck bolted for maybe 50 yds..stopped...Mike doe bleated...he actually turned to come back...back legs gave out and he crashed to the ground.

Not a big rack like Bamboo's "last crossing" thread but a big bodied Mtn deer. Scott took a few pics before the fog rolled in, I took this shot back at camp...Keep the faith fellas and get out there with your bow during gun season. I'm heading back to Jersey rest of this week to cash in on one of those slammer bucks running around.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: November 12, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Congratulations guy's   :thumbsup:  Keep your fingers crossed for me I hit a nice doe tonight, the hit looked forward.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Saw a nice eight to night and had a nice five under the stand, walked down wind of my stand did spook and just walked up the hill. I'm tagged out on the buck tag looking for a doe, Just a buck night..Very cool..

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Gonna jump in real quick and tell you I am sure enjoying this thread. Grew up in Dutchess County and hunted Poughquag area. Nice to see the area is still good hunting.
Joe Skipp, you mention Bamboo as Mike Robin - would you happen to know if he grew up in Poughquag area? I Had a trapping buddy with same name and thought I would ask. Sorry to intrude on this thread
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©