3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NYS southern zone hunters  (Read 10508 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NYS southern zone hunters
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Looks like I gotta leave work darn and head back for another crack at them park deer before tomorrow
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Brian,

I'd set your blind up inside of that little island. It sounds like they cross the field to get into it. another thought is,when you think "fields" also think "corners".....Usualy the corners of fields have the heaviest deer sign.

Without looking at it in person,my guess is that they are waiting untill dark to come into the field. If you set up your blind inside of that island,you might get a chance at one waiting inside for it to get dark.Another thought is moving your blind into the woods alittle more. Lots of times they will browes in the woods untill it gets dark,then come out into the field.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Stick a BIG one!!!!!!!!!!    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Made it out this morning. Nothing from the stand. Got down around 9 as I had baby duty at 10 and still hunted through the cedars. Walked up on a yearling doe. Ten minutes and 70 yards later I had a doe run by me followed by what appeared to be another doe grunting. I never saw antlers, and had no shot anyway.
Then, as I step out of the woods and into the yard, a doe takes off INTO my yard. Followed closely by the 4 pt I shot at twice.
Boom stick opens tomorrow, but Im seriously thinking about bow hunting the cedars. We shall see.
Hope the rest of you saw deer. Good luck if you are headed out in the am.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Well I guess Ive been bow skunked for the early season anyway.Most of the hunting Ill be doing rest of the year is in a bow only zone so I still have time.Congrats to all who have been successful thus far.

Izzy

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I was fortunate enough to get two deer with my 1972 Grizzly, but I feel like I have unfinished business.I had today off but saw no deer but that didn't matter I just enjoyed the day and the quietness of the archery season, I stayed in my stand extra late because I hated to leave knowing that tomorrow will be a lot different. I need to find a spot that is free of firearms so I can hunt in peace, now I can't wait for the late season   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
i missed my chance.i sat in the woods ALL day.Made a nice ground blind next to a dead fall .i piled brush all around it and left a few opening to shoot thru.Five to five tonight ,I got up and started stretching and packing up.You guessed it.A real nice buck came in on the blind sidethru the thick stuff to about 30yds.We saw each other and one of us took off.The other went out of the woods muttering bad things to himself.If I only would have waited that five minutes to call it a day.Oh well ,such is bow hunting.

Offline Autumn Whitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
I had a great day today.I got to my stand at 6:30 this morning and I could hear a buck crashing through the woods grunting chasing a doe but I couldn't see him. Almost an hour later the doe came by me at full speed with a big 8 pointer on her tail. He chased her around my stand for 5 minutes but I had no shot because he was moving way to fast for me. All of sudden another 8 pointer joins the chase.This deer was a pig.He had at least an 18" spread. These deer passed my stand within 5 yards twice. I still didn't shoot.I didn't feel comfortable shooting a deer moving that fast. All I can say is what a day. With the opener for gun tomorrow, I can only hope I see one of them in the morning.
Autumn Whitetails

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
I saw one lone doe at 7:30 this morning and than as I walked out I saw two bucks crossing the power lines. Another lone doe at 4:30 this evening. I got out of my stand a bit early as damon had shot another doe. The hit was back and we are waiting until morning to track her. I know we have rain coming but we are still gonna wait. As I was walking out I checked the pwer lines again, no less than 20 deer spread out over 200 yards. A little chasing going on but I think the real breeding phase is still several days away. I am fortunate that I have 140 acres in the bow only area to hunt plus another 20 that I picked up in the bow area near by. I am gonna go out with the boom stick in the morning as it is supposed to be raining and I just washed and prepped all my bow clothes to make an assualt all day sunday!! Best of luck to all!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Also watch that mid day movement, it is going on a lot around here. As my wife says hunt 10 to 2 and go home! I hate to admit it but she is right on with this moon!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I went out this morning on my land wearing an orange of course, I didn't see a deer but my wife said a doe came through the yard and then she had another doe run by her when she was in the horse pasture, she should of had her bow   :bigsmyl:  I'm going back out this afternoon, I'm bow only for the rest of the season   :thumbsup:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
damon and I went out this am. I almost got blown out of the tree i was in. I moved to a new one. I saw nothing damon saw 2 does and one presented a close shot but he was hoping a buck would follow. I am gonna hunt Monday,Tues, and Weds. after work, which only gives me a little over an hour on stand but I have 15-20 stands I can get to in 5 minutes from work. Surgery on Thursday and since so many have PM'ed. I have a hernia, lifting stupid weight. Doc said I may be able to bow hunt right away as long as I go light and take it easy climbing. So hopefully I am back in the woods by this coming Sat. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I had a pretty good day today, I had to go into work early this morning, so I was a little late getting out. I saw no deer early but when I went out later this afternoon I saw four. One of them I saw from the stand but the other three were on a stalk. I was cold with the high winds today the cold cut right through you. I decided to get down and look around the walking was quiet so I thought I might have a chance at a deer from the ground. I didn't go 400 yards when I saw a deers head going across in front of me about 50 yards, I dropped to one knee and nocked an arrow. I saw two more after that one, it turned out to be a doe and two fawns, I crept within 20 yards of one of the little ones and was going to shoot when it walked off to were I couldn't get the shot I wanted. None the less it was an exciting experience.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
Wow 3 pages back. I am still hunting and the rut is going wild bucks chasing does all over. I have surgery in the morning and I will find out when I can hunt again. You know me, I will be out ASAP. Saw a monster tonight in the rabbit valley and managed two running shots but that is with another weapon. Have fun and keep huntin!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Good Luck with your surgery Shawn! We're pulling for you.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »
I wont be out till Sat morning, I'm hoping there will be gun hunters out moving deer, I'm planning on setting up my DB on a good escape route   :bigsmyl:

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Shawn,

Good Luck with your recovery!They will probably put some of that mesh stuff in your to keep it from popping out again. My Lieutenant at work has had the surgery and was out huning within a week! Looking forward to the next bunny hunt, yes Im thinking of it already because here in hilton NY we have 2-3 inches of new fluffy stuff on the ground!and its sticking!

Pete smith
You get what you get.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: November 20, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
Good luck Shawn heal fast!!

I'm gonna finish out the remainder of the gun season with my LB we'll see how many looks I get from my buddies LOL I don't currently have any bow only place's but 1 place that sorta is by location I'll hit that spot this weekend good luck guys
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Shawn,
Best wishes from L.I. for a speedy recovery.

Larry & Greg
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Good luck with the surgery bud.My regular tags are filled.All I haved left is a couple of doe tags, 1 is for 4j so bow only the rest of the season.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Guys, I am home and have some good and bad news. Doc said I can hunt as soon as tomorrow if  I feel up to it(which he doubts)don't know me too well does he? Bad news I have to stay under 50#s and hunt from the ground. Funny, Cindy and I saw a huge 10 pt. cross the road on the way to the hospital this am. I have a 48# Bear Grizzly that is tuned to some carbons I have so I should be set. I am all stapled together and actually don't feel too bad!! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©