3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NYS southern zone hunters  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NYS southern zone hunters
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
thats great news man!! just make sure ya let damon drag your deer out when ya get him...
we need ya to be 100% for feb. ive been lookin forward to that for about 9 mos. now..lol
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Don't tear yourself up Shawn   :scared:  I thought you had something a tad lighter than that   :readit:  I'm glad your home and doing good anyhow.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #342 on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Becareful!! Glad your home and not feeling to bad.

Keep me posted via txt on how things are going
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #343 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Shawn, Get healed up soon. Don't push it. Let someone else do the dragging.    :rolleyes:    :wavey:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Now everything has worn off I am hurting a bit. I am gonna sleep in and than see if I can shoot. If I can I am heading to the new 6 foot stand for an afternoon hunt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Good luck Shawn , :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #347 on: November 20, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
A day off from hunting wouldn,t kill ya   :readit:    :thumbsup:  Nice placement of the bow too looks like a nice shot
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Nice deer Jeff.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Hope all of your bow seasons went well in NY. I grew up in Chautauqua County on the western end of the state, and return there each year to hunt the rut. I had a monster 8 pt under me at 8 yards on the 3rd day of my New York bowhunt, but he never offered a good shot. I'm pretty sure that this was the buck I shot over the back of at 12 yards the previous year across the road. The weather was sunny and nearly 70 degrees for the first 4 days, and generally nothing was moving except for early morning and the last half hr of the day (the big guy showed up at 4:30 PM, sunset was about 5). I decided that I'd give that stand a two-day rest to let it "air-out", even though he did not obviously smell me.

Unfortunately, bad weather (rain and snow) was moving in, and to top that I was developing a nasty toothache. Fearing an abscessed tooth, I was able to get in to see my parents' dentist the next day, and got to my least good-looking stand about 2 PM, in my T shirt (again, about 70 degrees). After getting set and not 15 minutes later, I heard a deer marching to me through the dry leaves. As he came through the trees towards me I saw that he was a small 8 pointer. I had a decision to make - pass and take my chances with a bad tooth and terrible weather with the hope at getting a shot at the big guy, or the bird-in-the-hand deal. I decided that if he did not stop for me, I would not try to stop him. However, when he was broadside at 12 yards he caught a nose full of the James Valley doe-in-heat scent that I had out on that side of my stand. With his head facing away from me and front leg forward, the decision was automatic. Perfect pass through shot, heart and lungs (or at least the lungs facing me). He went maybe 25 yards, and ended up on an old skid road that we could drive the tractor right up to.

A few days later when I went to pull the stand under which I saw the big 8 pointer, I could see (in the new snow) that he had been back, and one of his scrapes near the stand was now almost wide enough for me to lay across! Oh well. Now I'm holding my breath that the orange coated gang-bangers don't get him so I can try next year. So far he has made it through the first week, and heavy snow falls are hampering the orange coats!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Woops, I thought I cancelled the posting of my picture last night when checking that it was not too big, but apparently it got through on the previous page.
Jeff

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Nomad88 and I are heading out in the morning. I could not make it today. I was(am) a hurtin unit but I am gonna wera all the clothes I can get on and sit in the 6ft. stand. Probably will only make it until 7am. and than have to move a bit but at least I will be out there. Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
Good luck guys!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2008, 04:52:00 AM »
I'll be heading out after we plow some snow.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
wish i could, got a kazillion things to do today, will be after them tomorrow!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Damon saw 16 diffrent deer this morning. I did not go, I had a bad night but he called and let me know they were moving!! Nothing close enough for a shot but a great morning he said! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #356 on: November 22, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I saw nothing this morning but this afternoon was full of excitement. When I got back to my stand there were lots of fresh tracks under it, I thought dang I should of stayed here. I was in the stand about an hour when I saw two deer walking up one of the logging roads, they looked like they had no intention of coming my way so I decided to call, I gave three calls on the can and one of them turned and headed my way. It turned out to be a small buck and I have no buck tags left so I was just content with watching it feed around my stand inside of ten yards for about ten minutes or so. About a half hour later I saw four more deer feeding along the roadway and they turned and headed my way, I decided to take the first deer that came into range, I have never killed a deer during the gun season with a bow so I'm not to choosy.  I guess I have too much patience because I could have shot a couple times but I let it come, just as I was going to draw it looked up at me and we locked eyes, I froze and just waited. The doe took a jump and stopped at 20 yards broadside and for what ever reason turned it's head away, so I drew picked my spot and proceeded to shoot low   :banghead:  Well no harm done, I just hope I get another chance this season this gun season hunting is tough with everyone keeping the deer spooked.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #357 on: November 23, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
I'm really liking this gun season trad hunting, it forces me to sit still and I'm seeing more deer that ever. I saw eight deer this morning, I messed up on one I won't go into details. The wife's working I'm going to take a nap then go back out   :bigsmyl:  What a life   :thumbsup:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #358 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
I am out the door at 2 today. I don't know how long I will be able to sit but I am gonna give it my best!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #359 on: November 23, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Shawn,

good to hear your feeling better. I went out this afternoon to me and waptichasr's favorite spot. didnt see a hair. in fact I only cut 3 fresh today tracks! Wonder where the deer went? Is there a date set for the bunny hunt yet?

Pete Smith
You get what you get.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©