3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NYS southern zone hunters  (Read 10528 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NYS southern zone hunters
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Good going guys...looks like no hunting for me this weekend...gotta work tomorrow....not in the best of spirits right now....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Ru - That must have been a great hunt having a beer within 40 yards. You have great woodsman skills and will be a very succesfull bow hunter from the ground. Let me know when you think that you can pull a bow that is 55# @ 28" at your draw length. I have a Martin Hunter that I shot my first traditional bow deer with many years ago. I would like you to have it.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Congratulations , Drew and Shawn   :thumbsup:  I saw a lot of deer last night there was one buck in particular that was chasing a doe he was grunting load and long it sounded just like the buck roar call that I saw on TV, it was fun to watch. Today looks like a perfect morning we have a heavy frost it's around 28 looks good.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Curt, keep your chin up! This early season is not that great. Ya do more to buggar the deer in the mornings as well. You will get your chance and hopefully during the 2nd. week of Nov. we can hook!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I had a good day, had a doe at 40 yards in the morning, & had 3 bucks including one decent one come in right before dark at about 35 yards.  With the wheels they were all dead, but no regrets here. I had fun & saw deer. It sure was a nice day to be out.  Mike
Big Mike

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Big doe came in last night - posed broadside in the spot I would have picked for a deer to stop.
Stinger 4 blade never slowed a bit thru the ribs.
Heard her crash in some real thick stuff, so backed out to wait for morning.

Decided to go out at dawn and sit for an hour before getting last night's and let the frost clear. Parade started at 7:30, but I was going to hold for a buck. When the 8th deer stopped broadside at 9 yds, it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Blew thru the paddle bone and broke the offside leg - 5 yd track  :D  

With another Stinger on a GT 5575 - total 425gr from 53# DAS.

A bit of work to do now.

Steve

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Nice Steve   :thumbsup:

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
Ru , I saw a bear out back tonight so I know the excitement you had   :eek:  
 Very nice Steve , congrats :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Very nice Steve. Damon and I were out again this evening. I will say damon had some shooting but no deer, won't say anything else except he will connect eventually if he keeps putting that many arrows in the air!  :biglaugh:  I sat the same stand as I shot the deer yesterday from, a lone coyote heading to the gut pile was all I saw on stand. I climbed down and walked out a bit early and headed upp the road to check if anything was coming up the edge of the cornfield. I look out about 120 yards and there are 3 deer in the field. I checked with the binos and all 3 were bucks, the nice 9pt. being one of them. I told them to have a good night and headed for the truck. I ws standing by the truck taking off my hunting clothes and I hear something coming up and across the driveway, thought for sure it was Damon. I turn around and here is a big doe followed by two little ones. They come to a stop at 5 yards. The bow was onthe roof of the truck and all I could do was laugh. Damon must of put them out on his way out of the woods as he showed up 2 minutes later. Best of luck everyone! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Well this has been the best opening few days I can remember in a long time. I have seen 7 deer so far. I could have shot a few but they were a little small. The reason I think is the cold weather is making them a little more comfortable with there winter coats. Are others having the same luck.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Nice deer Drew   :thumbsup:

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Congrads guys    :thumbsup:  

I only saw 1 deer all weekend Sun was a bust,better luck next time
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
WHAT AN OPENER!!!!  

Saturday morning:  Shot over the back of a 10 point at 10 yards, and the second shot center punched a sapling.  He wandered off, unspooked.

Saturday afternoon:  Walking an open field on the way back out for the evening session, I walked up on a BIG (another 10) point out feeding.  Dropped, stripped my gear, nocked an arrow, and did a belly crawl to the top of the rise.  His body was completely perpendicular to me, and he was just feeding - at 30 yards.  Each time he picked his head up, he looked opposite my way.  No way to get closer.  So I gave it a go.  Got to my knees, came to full draw, picked a spot, and let it go.  Watching that arrow arc through the air was beautiful.  Closer, closer, - man, its going to do it!!!!   SMACK.  Buck startles, and tucks his tail, scooting for the woods.  Went back and got my partner.  I was beyond excitement.  We went back to the spot, and commenced the search.  Found the arrow, with the front 3" broken off, and blood only about 6" on the shaft, and little or no blood anywhere.  OH NOOOOOOOOO! Shoulder blade!   Some hard searching resulted in a miniscule blood trail, and after a solid 2 hours, and no spots bigger than 2 or three drops, no signs of him lying down or stumbling, we called it (was not an easy decision).  A matter of inches, and now my emotions hit rock bottom.

Sunday morning:

A bad nock resulted in pulling the arrow off the string (twice) on an 8-point at 10 yards before he walked out of my life.  Later, missed a doe at 20 yards by shooting over her back (again).  She wandered around for the next hour feeding, then wandered off.  Need to do a touch more trimming at that stand.

Around that I also saw numerous does outside of range.  In my entire season last year, I only saw two deer (button and a doe).

So its a week of getting my head right, shooting straight, and back at them Saturday.

Not the story I wanted to be telling......

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Great morning on Sat. with many deer seen but no shots. Back at them this afternoon.

Good luck guys!

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Sweet shooting Drew!  Nice doe.

I had a pretty good weekend even though I didn't let an arrow go.  Almost got run over by a coyote (he veered off at about 5 yds!!), should have drawn ahead of time instead of trying to pivot and draw    :banghead:      :jumper:      :jumper:      :D    

I love that ghillie and deer dander!!  He walked behind me and into my wind.  picked up my scent and decided It wasnt a problem.  He did a full slow walk circle right around me (no farther than 10 yds away at any time)and never got agitated.. I couldn't believe it.

Hopefully tonight will be just as exciting.  Good luck gents.
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I better post a pic of my spike on this thread   :bigsmyl:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Nice Jim! You too Drew! I cant wait to get out there again...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Great evening, I watched 2 eight points for over 45 minutes lay in a wide open field 100 yards away. One a 130" deer, I was gonna move to another stand when at 4:45 they started to feed up and towards another stand of mine. Trust me on this one, go with your first instinct. I stayed put and at 6:15 I watched as they both walked right under that stand, ben a good start and hoping it gets better. Jamie, anything yet? Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
ked one up on the way out at Mike's today. Havent been out around here yet. Once I get my Bhs sharp(er), and wash all my stuff, Im living out there.LOL.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©