3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POLL--Would you shoot these elk?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
POLL--Would you shoot these elk?
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
There's a small controversy brewing in a small town named Packwood, not far from Seattle.  For years, the elk have wondered through town eating and trampling plants or just doing what elk do.

Some complaints have resulted in the state proposing to allow archers to elk hunt in the city.  Not only are animal rights folks opposed, but some hunters are against it also because of the potential public relations nightmare that could result.
Lon Scott

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: POLL--Would you shoot these elk?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
I would not hunt them in town, but I would find out where they are entering the town and try to ambush them on the way in.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by shawn:
I would not hunt them in town, but I would find out where they are entering the town and try to ambush them on the way in.
I agree, unless there was a large open lot or field in town.

Especially if I saw an elk with const. fence in its antlers, that could end up in a miserable death to that young bull.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Unfortunately this is societys fault in moving in on the elk. They were here first. I think this is the DNR's responsibility to relocate these elk since we took their habitat away from them. Hopefully they(government) do better than they did with the indians. Then I think it's right to go out and hunt them. Not while they ate out of someones flower bed.IMHO
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
mmm depends if they where a problem and deemed a nuisance or risk then they could be culled. if they are thinking to use bows over guns for sound or safety reasons due to them being within the town don't see a problem with that, provided its done out by a professional and like above it can be done when they leave or enter the town.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I agree, shooting one in the middle of town could do more harm to hunting then good.

Ideally they could be relocated to more open ground.  If they frequent the town they are most likely used to people, hunting them there may not exactly be "fair chase"
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
We get deer eating stuff in our garden daily-my wife gets pissed! LOL!
I would not want the Elk's death filmed by PETA under any circumstances-legal or not.
I'll take my chances hunting them in the bush by myself.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I wish they would have handled it without it making the National News, now every hunter in the state will be there for the late season...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
We have the same problem here in Colorado ( Estes Park) for the most part, they don't migrate in and out of town, even if they did I don't think the word "hunting" would apply..it's a kin to shooting fish in a barrel..so NO I wouldn't shoot one, I think Traditional archery hunters (especially)should insist on FAIR CHAISE and promote our sport as ethically as possible..to mount one of these elk on your wall and brag about it would be WRONG..at least that is the way I see it...

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I agree if they came into town they gotta get out.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
I don't think relocating is feasible.  Maybe elk are easier than deer.  I remember some horrible stats about a deer relocation effort.  Something like $50,000 per deer and the majority of them died from stress.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
I would not call it hunting, but I would get my fence back!!!!
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Apex has it right.  Relocating kills more of them than it helps.  We have similar urban deer problems in CT.  Different towns have proposed everything from limited hunts to bringing in sharpshooters or "professional hunters".  I've met one man that makes a very good living doing just that.  The towns where he 'works' are very quiet about it and so is he.

You may not be able to properly call it hunting, but it our responsibility to do something about it.  We're the ones (humans in general) who have thrown the entire ecosystem out of whack and we're the ones who have to deal with the consequences, be it dealing with an overpopulation of animals in the town or woods, or reducing (or eliminating) the harvest of certain animals due to a low population.

We may not always like what we're called upon to do as stewards of the land, but that doesn't absolve us of the responsibility.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Devils advocate here.  So.  we pay (and I think WE is the right word if the DNR does it) to move the animals somewhere out of town,   then we get to shoot them after we paid (again   WE) to move them.  

This is not hunting, but I would certainly shoot one with my bow right where he stands if that is the decision the town bigwigs come up with.  If you don't want to watch , keep yourself and the kids in the house.  They can watch TV for another hour, like they probably do for half the day anyway.

If the animal rights folks have a better idea... let them fund it.  In the mean time,   ever notice how everybody stands around and says "  we need to do something" and nobody but a few actually do ?

I can't believe nobody gets hurt when some bull elk or cow with calf starts getting edgy.
ChuckC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
North Carolina started an urban hunting season just for this reason.It is up to each community to work out the details. I believe many other states are also doing similar "hunts" and the insurance companies are behind them 100%. Let PITA start paying for some of the damage and they will soon be out of money.
   I would participate in helping to remove these elk. You just have to be as stealthy with the PITA heads as with the elk.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

If the animal rights folks have a better idea... let them fund it.  In the mean time,   ever notice how everybody stands around and says "  we need to do something" and nobody but a few actually do ?

as Dr Ed would say "Conservationists support wildlife survival - Hunters PAY for wildlife survival"
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
YES I would hunt those elk. Urban Hunting has become a workable amount of hunting for me. Low cost - close to home - TONS of deer - it's a little awkward in a tree while traffic flying by - and I can hear people talking sometime in their backyards. But filling tags is cool. I use a take down longbow - ride a bicycle - carry my stand on my back - wear plane clothes. It is challenging too in its own way. Anybody thinks it isn't hunting hasn't done it. Try waving at a deer or talking to it - in an urban hedgerow - see how many of those deer walk over for a closer look!
<>< <-----------------<<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I can certainly see hunters taking a hit on this one if they are allowed to take a few elk.  

Some of the residents are feeding them apples and other treats just because they like seeing them in their backyards.  Businesses like them too because the elk have become somewhat of a tourist attraction, bringing in a few dollars to an already depressed logging community.

Something tells me there will be no real winners with this situation. It's too bad the Wildlife agency, hunters, residents, and animal rights people may all end up as villians.
Lon Scott

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I would shoot a cow or calf.Tried some bull last year and it was tough as nails.Would not care to shoot one of those.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm sure the negative publicity we hunters would take would be considerable. Urban hunting is feasible but local sentiment (by "local" I mean regional) would be a big factor. I feel we could gain more by not offending the sensibilities of the non-hunting public who may still see the hunter as a hit-man even if he is addressing a confirmed nuisance. I think Blackhawk boils it down pretty well in his last post. BTW- great deer Lon- Bowdoc showed me your pic. Yowza, Grant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©