3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee or Checkmate Recurve  (Read 1406 times)

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Lee or Checkmate Recurve
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Which of the two is a better? Opinions Thanks.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee or Checkmate Recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Never shot a Checkmate so can't compare but every Bob Lee I've shot was smooth as silk. I owned a Bob Lee Signature TD recurve. Took several deer and a turkey or two with that bow. Highly recommend the Bob Lee recurve.

Offline genghis_khan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I am the exact opposite of Bill; I have shot and owned a Checkmate Falcon, but never shot a Bob Lee. What I can tell you is that the Checkmate is nothing to write home about. Also, from what I understand is that they use Canadian fiberglass which is supposedly less stiff than American made Gordon’s glass. As far as shooting characteristics all of my other bows shot faster and with less noise (comparing to Great Plains bows--one and three piece recurves, Martin Mamba, ect...). The grip diameter seems very large and is uncomfortable.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I have owned both. The best by far is a Bob Lee
service is great the bows shoot right were you look. They have a good grip no problems with them at all.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I have both as well, and there both great bows. However my Bob Lee has become my go to bow for what it's worth. As a side note the wait time is much shorter with the Bob Lee as well!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline minnesota_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
i have not shot a Bob Lee, but i have owned a couple checkmates.  A hunter1 and a kings pawn.  they are not the fastest bows made, but both of the ones i had were very smooth and quiet.  my hunter at 53#, was 9 fps slower then my 50#martin mamba with the same arrows, but to me seemed quieter and smoother.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
I shoot a 58" Bob Lee actually have two risers and limbs in recurve and longbow and had a 56" Checkmate Hunter takedown for about a year but could not get use to the large grip but the bow was well made and good lines and looks.I think the grip on the Lees are great for me with my small hands,tough bows,smooth and fast enough but I find them hard to get silent with fast flight string but people standing off to the side say it is quite.Kip

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Anyone shot one of lees short 54" recurves?

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
I don't have a checkmate, but I do have bob lee classic elite 48 at 28 and a bw psa 52 at 28.  I have had the bl for the last 6 months but swore not to touch her until after my trip to sfa in july.  I'll probably be jumped in the aprking lot but ...... as muck as I love the widow and its a killer (lots of funny looking critters) my new lee is a better and possibly faster bow.  I have chrono the two but before going to Africa, I could not get my widow to throw 600 grain gtips.  My lee, which is 3 lbs. less, now throws the 600 grain arrows like nothing.  The lee will be going back with me next time.  I know that you didn't ask about the bw but it shows how great the bob lee is.  Service at bob lee is great also.  I think they are also having a sale on their hunter line.  Bhill

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Longbow I forget to mention I also recently bought a short riser and 40# limbs from someone here.I was not intrested in the 40# limbs so put some of my reg. limbs which increased them by 5lbs.So first I tried a set of 58"  49(54)made a 54"recurve shot O.K. no stacking with my almost 29" draw.Then my 62" longbow 52(57)58" long bad feel in the hand at release not comfortable at all.Then I tried a set of 60" longbow 49(54)to make a 56" longbow nice real smooth fun to shoot have been hunting with them a few times but no shots at game yet.I like the short riser enough but if I keep it I will have to take a rasp to the grip it does not quite fit me right like my other two and I don't find enough need for the shorter riser with my 58" limbs like I though I would.Would you be intrested in a 40# at 28" 56" long Bob Lee hunter short riser.If I don't sell it I will keep it for my grandson in a few years,.Kip

Offline longbow59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Yes thats one of the reason I posted. They have a 58" at 43lbs is that to light for deer? and a 60" at 50lb. my draw length is 27". what do you think?

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Longbow59:
Yes, I have shot what I believe they call the Dark Archer. It was built for use in prefabricated blinds. I believe Double Bull was involved in its production. The bow was smooth and quiet. It has a good finish and looks good. I was impressed with the way it shot. I'm mostly a longbow shooter but when I shoot recurves I prefer them in the 60" to 62" range. This bow would be great if your limited to close quarters.   :archer:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
i would go for the 50# one at ya draw it should be45-46# plenty for whitetail deer  :wavey:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I have shot and owned both for quite a while. Bob Lees are fine bows but so are the Chek-Mates, I owned a Firebird, Hunter2 and a Raven and they all shot as well as the Lee. The Firebird was quicker than any Lee  iowned and with the Chek-Mates you have a lot more options than the Lees offer. Opinions are pretty much just that and ya really have to try and shoot a couple of different bows to se what your own opinion is, as that is all that matters! Shawn
Shawn

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I have had them both. Nothing wrong with a ChekMate, but I still have a Lee and would give the edge to the Lee.
LB
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Besides that, I would have a hard time seeing how you could improve much on Lee's service unless they start reading minds and getting things made before you know you want them.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I own a chekmate h2 and have shot a couple of lees.  IMO the lee has a little better grip, but when I shot them they felt like the twang you get from a rubber band.  I don't get that from my chekmate at all.  As far as price I think you can get a more custom bow in a chekmate.  Better wood combos instead of the run-of-the mill dymondwood.  

You really need to shoot both in order to know what you want.  Both are good for the money. And the service from chekmate is second to none as well.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
I have a 62" Lee take-down longbow that is as smooth as butter and quiet as a church mouse.  Like Brent I also have a Black Widow PSA that everything else is invariably compared too.  The Lee is one of the few bows that I can shoot as well as the BW.  I generally prefer the feel of recurve limbs so I'm gonna get some of them too.  Pretty much like Shawn (above) states, it is a matter of opinion but the grip is one of the single most important factors in selecting a bow.  If at all possible, put them in your hand.  I don't have a very big paw so I've always shied from the CM's.  One day ...
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Also, from what I understand is that they use Canadian fiberglass which is supposedly less stiff than American made Gordon’s glass.
That is incorrect.  Back when Gordon's quit offering clear glass, they did use Armatex (sp?) for a little while (as did almost every other bowyer that didn't have a supply of Gordon's stashed), but went back to Gordon's some time ago.

I've owned a couple of Lee's and shot others, and they are fine bows.  My favorite is CM, but I couldn't say one is "better" than the other.  Both have been in business for a long, long time (near 40 years for CM), both have thousands and thousands of bows in use, and you don't see a lot of either one in the classifieds--that says a lot for both.  You can probably get a custom Lee faster--with one bowyer, CM just can't produce them fast enough--but as stated, CM has more options.

Ask enough people, you'll find folks that love one and don't care for the other, or love both, or don't care for either one.  Either one will do the job just fine, either one will hold it's own against any on the market for a smooth draw, forgiveness, durability, etc.

Bottom line, only you can answer the question "which one is better", and you can only answer for yourself.

Chad

Offline Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm sure the Bob Lee bows are great hunting bows. I owned a CM Falcon and it was a fine bow, made my first trad kill with it. Also killed my first turkey with that Falcon when I lived in Ohio. I should have have kept it. Smooth, accurate, and fast enough to make clean kills. Eventually I'll own another CM Falcon, but with prettier woods next time around.  :)
Jose =>>>>>---------->
Bear Montana longbow 52#@27"
80' Howatt Hunter 61#@27"
06' Bear Super Kodiak 57#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©