3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice please!!  (Read 479 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice please!!
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
    I've got some good news and some bad news. I shot a doe tonight at about 5 yards right before dark.  Pegged her right in the boiler room with a two blade zwickey.  I got about 12-16" of penetration. Awesome experience to have one that close!  I gave her a half hour before taking up the trail.  The problem is I was unable to find ANY blood.  I found my broken off nock, some broken branches, and hoof prints, but other than that absolutely nothing!  I began circling the area and found no sign of her.  Even a search of a field she ran through yielded no blood.  After an hour of searching I backed out hoping not to walk over anything that may be there for the morning.  I plan to head back there at first light and keep looking and possibly grid search the area.  Do you guys think the meat could still be good if I find her in the morning?  It should get down to the lower 40's tonight.  I really think she is dead...unless deer learned how to breathe through blood;)  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Congratulations first of all. At 40 degrees you should be in no danger of spoilage. Good luck and hope you find her.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
Yeah shes dead, and the meat will be OK, Just go back in the am with good light look again for blood.  I walked past a downed deer in DAYLIGHT  a bunch of years back Cause I wasnt relaxxed.  thought it vanished.  you'll find her

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Was the shot from the ground or from a treestand?

In the lower 40's tonight and she will be just fine in the morning  :thumbsup:

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline leewillis92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Just go back really early before it gets hot and you will be ok
Hunt Hard. Stay Safe. God Bless.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I shot her from the ground.  Makes me feel better knowing the meat will be ok if I can find her. Thanks guys, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
No worries about the meat...

Post some pics for us in the morning.. congrats.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
some times its really tricky to pic up blood in low light. best to go back in the am when the light is better. find a spot your certain she was and really search for blood. let us know how you get on wish you the best of luck Matt don't give up   :wavey:    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
I'd be a little concerned about not getting a pass-through at that range with a shot in the boiler room. Either your set-up isn't tuned properly or the shot wasn't were you thought.

What weight bow were you using?

Also as said above, if the temps were in the 40's the meat will be fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
I have shot them in 55 degree weather and left them overnight and found them the next day when temps are nearing 70. The meat has always been fine. Ya may have hit the off shoulder thus no exit hole. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Meat will be o.k.
If you still can't find sign, get a dog on the job. Watch for scavanger birds as well. My brother shot a nice buck several years back, and all we had to follow was tracks. Turns out, he only went about 150 yards and piled up in a dry ditch. The entry wound was high and angled down towards the off shoulder. The body cavity was full of blood. The only blood on the ground was right next to the deer.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I second the dogs, amazing what they can do with those sniffers.
Sounds like the above statements are correct.
Good luck finding her, and keep us posted.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I got my first deer two days ago.  Mine was shot from the ground with a 2 blade Magnus.  I was suprised that she didn't leak like a faucet.  The blood trail was there but it was sparce.  A few drops every 10 feet or so.  

I had to track her in the dark so every time I saw blood I put a piece of toilet paper next to the spot.  When I would loose blood I just looked back at the TP trail and could figure out which way she should have been going.  

This little trick helped me several times on the tracking job when I thought the blood trail was over.  It might work for you to.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Pretty bummed guys.  I just got back from the field and found absolutely no blood, hair, or body fluids of any sort.  I am amazed that even after running through thick brush and high marsh grass there was no sign except tracks.  I marked these tracks out with ribbon, but they eventually ran out upon entering marsh grass. I circled around and through thickets and circled the area several times...nothing. You would think that the arrow hitting the brush as she ran would work the wound open and that grass, etc. would surely come in contact with the wound and leave some blood or that some would be coughed up from the lungs.  Nothing.  
She did jump the string a bit and the arrow was a bit above center, but only a few inches behind the shoulder.  She certainly didn't run off like she was shoulder hit, though the opposite shoulder could have come back and stopped the arrow.  I'm shooting a 55#@27" longbow a friend made for me with AD Trads with 225 grains up front.  I had just sharpened the broadheads before heading out.  I feel pretty crummy because I am confident she's dead, I just can't find her.  If she ran into the marsh the only way to find her would be to step on her.  Unfortunately I don't have access to dogs...I sure wish I did.  

I'm bummed.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
If you hunt long enough, you will miss.  I quit counting.  If you hunt long enough, you will lose an animal.  In the moment of truth, your heart is screaming at you, visions of your bow resting on the deer are filling your head,  and so on... You know what I'm talking about.  The shot may look great.  The deer is close and calm, than nature takes over.  We hunt these little monsters because they are smarter, faster and prettier than us.  And with traditional equipment, they trully have the upperhand on us.  (and we wouldn't have it any other way.) It happens to all of us.  

That being said, brush yourself off.   Pick up your baby and shoot her again.  Take her out to the woods  and bowhunt.  Thats the only way to get past it.  Best of luck, Bhill

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brent Hill:
If you hunt long enough, you will miss.  I quit counting.  If you hunt long enough, you will lose an animal.  In the moment of truth, your heart is screaming at you, visions of your bow resting on the deer are filling your head,  and so on... You know what I'm talking about.  The shot may look great.  The deer is close and calm, than nature takes over.  We hunt these little monsters because they are smarter, faster and prettier than us.  And with traditional equipment, they trully have the upperhand on us.  (and we wouldn't have it any other way.) It happens to all of us.  

That being said, brush yourself off.   Pick up your baby and shoot her again.  Take her out to the woods  and bowhunt.  Thats the only way to get past it.  Best of luck, Bhill
very well said!   :wavey:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
You may have hit higher than you thought.  Usually a backstrap hit will bleed fairly well at first though.  Maybe, maybe, maybe ....
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©