3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HUNTING ARROW WEIGHT  (Read 638 times)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HUNTING ARROW WEIGHT
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
If you want to shoot through critters, I would go with at least 12 GPP.  I have killed quite a few with 44@27 shooting 600 grain EFOC carbons.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Bill

That is just what I want - pass throughs - at least the broadhead.  My bow is one I made, a reflex/ deflex design with a lot of reflex. I need to chrono it actually but its got a nice zip for a 43lb bow...

to get 12 gpp I need about 100 more grains - thats a REAL heavy head on it....may have to cut an inch off my arrows to get thT BUT WHAT ABOUT foc ???
" Hunt like the Owl - move only your head and your eyes "

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
I'm beginning to think of total arrow weight regardless of draw weight.  Something in the 600-650 grain range.  I shot a doe a couple of years ago with a 45# yew longbow and 650 grain birch arrow, I just shot a mule deer doe a couple of weeks ago with a 50# hybrid and 625 grain arrow.

I'm sure I'll get grief for that statement, but it's my choice.  From Dr. Ashby's studies, it's been indicated that there is a heavy bone-threshold of 650 grains.  That's heavy bone for a whitetail or water buffalo.  I'm beginning to think that all my hunting arrows should be around 650 grains or more.  Lots of things happen after the arrow leaves the string, many that we can never control and I want a little extra help on my side that's easy to add.

Jason

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
I use a sharp two-blade broadhead and a cedar shaft with a total weight of 490 to 500 grains from a r/d bow in the mid-forties.  I sent an arrow completely through a mature doe one week ago today.  Whatever you decide, get good arrow flight, sharpen your broadheads and trust your setup.  Best of luck.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Guys...

FYI - I have harvested my share of whitetails with a compound and built this RD longbow (my second) at a lower weight (other was almost 60) so I could actually shoot it. I use razor sharp heads always (Magnus Stingers) and will use a 2 blade shaving sharp head only....   Im leaning towards the 500 grain mark now... I just have to decide how to get there, and the head to use, and still keep my bow shooting so well (it shoots very well now with broadheads)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
My buddy John Bookhart has killed well over 200 critters with bows from 42 -50 lbs using mostly 2020 shafts and Simmons heads. Around 650 grains I`d say.2 boars a little over 250 lbs. The broadhead came out the far side of one and stuck in the off shoulder of the other.he is shooting 220 grain phantoms now with the same arrow from a 45 lb 66" longbow.14 pigs and 2 deer so far this year.RC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Heavy arrows from a light bow will work as long as you are relatively close to the target. They tend to drop like rocks beyond 20 yards, but then that is exactly where I prefer my targets. My current setup is right at 11 grains per pound. The shoot pretty flat to about 22 yards, begin to drop at 25 and have a noticable arc at 30 and beyond. It's fun to shoot at foam from that distance, but I'd never shoot at a deer from beyond 25 yards.

The most important aspect is not arrow weight but arrow flight and placement. If you are getting good flight, no fishtailing, and you hit where you are looking, anything from about 8 grains per pound and up will work just fine.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline EIGHTWGT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
WOW....  Great inut guys...Thanks... BUT - I am shooting 9.2 GPP now with a 31.5" arrow. The arrow shoots like a dart with a broadhead and I can group everything tight at 20 yards - broadheads / field points / bare shafts...  Considering Im going hunting in 3 weeks maybe I should leave it be for this season ??  I mean - its tuned pretty well - if I add a heavy insert, Ill have to cut the arrow, and get everything back tuned.... I actually got lucky - I decided I wanted longer shafts and bought the shafts and decided to try them full length and all I did was put a 125 grain tip on and - bam...bow was shooting fantastic....Or should I go on a marathon tuning spree today (Saturday) and get some weight in the arrows...I do like the idea of a pass thru... gee....  :p

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Considering Im going hunting in 3 weeks maybe I should leave it be for this season ?? I
Yes.

Steve

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Noisy bows are products of improper tuning moreso than arrow weight.  A well tuned arrow at 9 grains per pound shouldn't be much louder, if at all, than a heavier one.  

Dr. Ashby's tests do have merit, but some folks have blinders on to what has worked for eons.  Shoot whatever suits your fancy, whether it's 380 grains or 780 grains.  There is a line of diminishing returns on both ends.  I'll take 9 to 10 grains per pound and won't worry about the outcome....I know that they work great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©