3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Be Careful! Look at what i found...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Be Careful! Look at what i found...
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
South MS Bowhunter, nice snake there...gonna make good bow backin'   :)  

If you are having problems with posting pics here is all you need to do.

Look at your image on your photobucket account, underneath the image there are options, email, direct link, html code, and IMG Code.

You click the text within the IMG Code box and photobucket automatically copies it for you...come to TradGang and in paste it within the post.
Hope that helps, if ya needed the help--if not..*shrug*   :p  

Regards,
  Dave
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Dave, i figured it out last night thanks for your help.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Im fairly indifferent to venomous snakes in the wilderness . But if they are near my house I like to see them dead.

The seem to be re-establishing themselves in many north-east locals which they had been largely absent from for 100 years.
I dont see anything good about it to be honest.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Here in Alberta, the sankes are protected, as they are now on the endangered species list.

I have seen a few rattlers on my hunts, but I just step around them.

However, if we had a population of snakes around here, like some of the States have, I am sure I would being trying some rattler steaks.

On the "self defense" thing, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being charged by a ravening rattler!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
As for as being charged by a rattler, maybe my hunting partner ("CCH") will see this and chime in.  A couple years ago, Chris was stalking a mule deer in eastern Washington in early September when he was the victim of an unprovoked attack by a Prairie Rattler that was making hissing noises and slithering quickly toward him.

It took all 5 of his broadheads to teach the hostile fellow a lesson, but the snake did "get the point."
Lon Scott

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I never argue the point of killing or not when it comes to snakes (or the reasons or laws regarding it either). I have three very dear friends who are "snake people" and they have taught me much tolerance in the last couple or three years. Still, for me, I react differently at different times - and I do not try very much to controll it. I do however respect each individuals feelings and decisions regarding it, and don't set out to offend anyone with my own. I do say, unless you really know what you are doing (and probably even if you do) You better be very careful how you deal with them or even the probability of them being around. In other words - "be careful out there"!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline roper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
On my farm and my cousins ajoining farm we have
killed 44 rattlesnakes this year! Most are prarie
rattlers and some diamondbacks...We have some
CRP land as well as dry lake beds and old prarie-
dog dens which attract these snakes.
My cousins wife was bit on the foot and she had
to get six viles of anti venium (sp) at $5000.00
each ($30,000.00) and still nearly lost her foot!
This expense did not include her week in the hosp
and other med expense!  This farm is in north TX.
allen

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
RW I have been "charged" by prarie rattlers; they come straight at you; and they are striking as they get close- OH YEAH ! they DO come at you.

I have several times stepped on rattlesnakes; and if not for the type of boot I had on; might still be there bleaching my bones ( I don't know how far you could walk on a rattlesnake bit leg).

Once I had on my red led light on my headlamp; and stepped on one; and it was smacking my leg with great aggression; and I could not see it. I switched the light to the white led; and could barely see it; and only on the normal bulb could I see where it was. It might not have charged me; but it was not asking for mercy !!

Other times in high grass I have stepped on them; and you cannot see them in that envirnment fast enough.

While most will rattle as they retreat - I have seen too many that seem well aware of the danger they present ...

Wait till its YOUR turn - then decide ....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
I stepped on one and he turned to stare me right in the eyes.  I am telling you I was looking right down the gun barrel of satan himself.  You have no idea what a pit viper looks like when you are staring at the hissed off business end.  He got a load of shot in the face.  I wasn't scared... there was just a "knowledge" that it was him or me.  If I saw it up on a rock from twenty feet away sunning I would have left him alone but this was throw down time.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Draco, i checked the regulation to be sure it's not on the protected species list and it is not. James in vicksburg i live down on the coast.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Thought I'd find more regard and respect for nature here.

How disappointing.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
Only good snake is a dead one!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Poisinous snake=dead snake as far as I am concerned. Was bit twice when I was a younger. Not a good experience.

Funniest thing I ever saw was the look on my brothers face one year at Boy Scout camp. We were counslers and one of the troops called up and said they had caught a water snake and did he want it for the nature area, so bubba goes down there and retrieves the snake. Let it crawl all over his arms and takes it to the nature area and put it in a glass case. Next day I was down there and noticed the snake in the tank. WATER MOC!!! Tapped on the glass and it reared up and opened its mouth to strike, solid white. All the color drained out of my bubba's face and he bout fainted. It is a wonder he was not bit, only thing that probably saved him is it was a cool night and the snake was a bit lathargic.LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
That should be enough to make anyone extra "careful" (and thankful) the rest of their " nature -al" life.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Here's another MS snake whacked last week. I could skin my whole longbow with that sucker.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
My old house had a den of garter snakes under the front stoop. I don't really like snakes but will leave them alone if they're around. I got used to seeing them in the garden and flowers when weeding. Usually I'd pick them up with a rake and place them over the fence into the woods.

Of course these aren't poisonous ones. If it was a rattlesnake den it would be a different story..for safety reasons. My dog picked up a couple garter snakes and was running aroung with it in his mouth like it was the best toy ever. She woulda been dead if it was a poisonous snake.

I know they fill a certain role in nature like mosquitoes, flies and other nuisances.

One time I was stalking pronghorns in SD and was low crawling behind a mound of dirt and grass. Next thing I hear a rattle and a prairie rattler is coiled up and rattling about 5 feet from my face. I stood up so stinking fast I think I came out of my clothes. The pronghorns were about 50 yards away and ran to the next county.

Same hunt I stopped to talk to some prairie dog hunters to let them know I was in the area so I wouldn't be down range of their rifles. We were in a circle talking for probably fifteen minutes when a rattle starts up. We look down and there's a prairie rattler right in the middle of us. There was a hole there and I don't know if he came out of the hole or wanted in but we must've been in his way. I just know that snake wasn't there when we started talking. We all commented that we thought snakes were shy and will leave if the know you're there.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
As far as those pythons invading the Everglades I think there should be a bounty on those. I don't see any good with another foreign species coming in and wreaking havoc on our environment. Especially when they start killing off the alligators which are the top of the food chain down there.

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Growing up I was tought you shouldnt kill anthinhg you dont intend to eat. Born an raised in Texas, most my time spent in the hill country i ate many. I still live by the "my camp, his camp" rule,he's in my camp he dies. Im in his camp let him be, unless you need a really cool looking bow back or walking stick.
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
A lot of posts on here about encounters...  Anyone been bitten?  I don't mean "my mailman's third cousin's brother-in-law" -- have you personally been bitten?  I'm curious because the total woods-time on this site must be in the millions of man-hours.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
:scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©