3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow quivers and arrow flight  (Read 301 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow quivers and arrow flight
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a change in arrow flight when you put your bow quiver on your bow? Seems like I get a flight like my arrows are to stiff with my quiver on my bow. Not every shot but good flight becomes less likely with the quiver on the bow.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow quivers and arrow flight
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Depending, if your bow quiver is attached to the limbs you could be robing from the working limb.  If this is the case make sure you have the quiver attached below the fade from the riser into the limbs.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I just started shooting with a bow quiver in prep for a Texas pig hunt and so far it seems to have improved my shooting by adding just a bit of weight to my bow arm resulting in a little more stability. (I had also gone from recurve to a "D" style longbow so I was used to a heavier riser). Do you have the quiver attached as close to the riser as you can? If some shots are errant but many are dead on it probably isn't the quiver but how you are shooting it differently with the quiver on. I'd experiment before dumping the quiver.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Yes they change the tuning no matter what type, it's just a matter to what degree. That's why it's important to set your bow up EXACTLY the way you will hunt with it, then do your tuning. After that if you change anything, expect to have to retune......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Even if the quiver is attached to the riser I have to retune.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
(what type of bow and quiver)practice with quiver on more if you plan to hunt that way
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
It's a EFA. I can't deside if I want to use it or my Arrowmaster. I like them both. But thanks for the help and if I use the bowquiver I will put it on, tune, and leave it there.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
I normally shoot my longbows without a quiver and they weight 1 1/2 lbs phyical weight each but this year I put a Selway 4 arrow bow Quiver on both. I put 2 arrows in it and practice with it that way, and when I go hunting I put the third arrow in and pull it out when I am ready to hunt. If I put any more arrows in the quiver it seems to shoot off a little. This puts my bow weight at about 2 1/4 lbs. or so which is just about right for hunting and has tighten my groups.If I am hunting hogs or something that requires more arrows I carry a hip quiver also. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Tom, I'm surprised that your getting those results. I have tried the EFA quivers on a wide variety of bow with no visible change in where the arrow impacts. Bows that I used range from a lightweight Saluki horsebow, Martin longbow, Hummingbird (Alpha Male)longbow, Hummingbird recurve and currently a Beeler longbow.

To further test this I put our "Totem" quiver on the Beeler longbow which is what I took to Denton Hill this year. To really test it I used an extension which put the mounting brackets about two inches past the fadeouts. I had the good fortune to win the "Eagle Eye" competition there with this setup with very little shooting beforehand. Last night and on Tuesday night I shot this bow with the guys without the quiver with the same good results. I had taken the quiver off to put on another bow and just hadn't bothered to put it back on.

As A. L. Adcock said "Yes, they change the tuning, no matter what type", it will change the tune. However, does it change it enough that you can see or measure it. We work diligently to keep our product lightweight so that it won't alter the shot. That's why we started making these ultralight 3 and 4 arrow quivers, so that you could put it on the bow or take it off with no noticeable consequence.

I suspect that there are a lot of factors that are involved here. How you grip your bow (tight or loose), the type and weight of your bow, the weight of the arrows that you use, shooting style, as well as the quiver itself and how and where it mounts to the bow, all might play a part.  

We do guarantee that you won't see any difference in how your bow shoots (except maybe quieter).  If you feel that it does, you may call to make arrangements for returning the quiver for refund.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm sure everyone is different, but I've never experienced any 'tuning issues' with bow quivers.  No difference if I have them on or off the bow. I also know a lot of other guys that don't have issues with bow quivers being on or off their bows....so its not set in stone or automatic that everyone will have an issue.

I'm sure it has to do with differnt' folks' form, bow design, shooting style, and how borderline their arrow spine is.

If you are having an issue, you need to fix it for sure....and if you happen to put a bow quiver on a bow, you should shoot it to see if all is well.  I always shoot a new bow if I add a bow quiver to make sure everything is fine before I head out into the woods with it.  To date, I've never had to retune a bow that I added a bow quiver to, whether it was a Selway, Great Northern, Boa, or Eagles Flight.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I see a difference with the quiver on.

In my case I believe the change comes from my grip and where my center of pressure is located. To keep the bow from turning toward the heavy side upon release I am gripping the bow tighter which applies pressure off center of the grip. I guess you could call it torquing to some degree.

I actually shoot better with the quiver on, but I have to really "set" my grip and be conscious of it as I start to draw. I typically add the quiver a month before the season opens to get used to it. It comes off the day after.

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
The biggy is being aware that it might, therefore check before putting the quiver on the night before a hunt! Shooting field tips at 20 yards and saying it doen't make a difference doesn't make it so and is not a valid "tuning" test. Shooting narrow broadheads at 20 yards isn't valid either. Wide broadheads from as far away as you can shoot well tells the story. Many could be off a bit on their tuning and the quiver could actually make it better instead of worse. Problems are easy to live with when you don't check for them or know they exist.  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
Tom, I'm surprised that your getting those results. I have tried the EFA quivers on a wide variety of bow with no visible change in where the arrow impacts. Bows that I used range from a lightweight Saluki horsebow, Martin longbow, Hummingbird (Alpha Male)longbow, Hummingbird recurve and currently a Beeler longbow.

To further test this I put our "Totem" quiver on the Beeler longbow which is what I took to Denton Hill this year. To really test it I used an extension which put the mounting brackets about two inches past the fadeouts. I had the good fortune to win the "Eagle Eye" competition there with this setup with very little shooting beforehand. Last night and on Tuesday night I shot this bow with the guys without the quiver with the same good results. I had taken the quiver off to put on another bow and just hadn't bothered to put it back on.

As A. L. Adcock said "Yes, they change the tuning, no matter what type", it will change the tune. However, does it change it enough that you can see or measure it. We work diligently to keep our product lightweight so that it won't alter the shot. That's why we started making these ultralight 3 and 4 arrow quivers, so that you could put it on the bow or take it off with no noticeable consequence.

I suspect that there are a lot of factors that are involved here. How you grip your bow (tight or loose), the type and weight of your bow, the weight of the arrows that you use, shooting style, as well as the quiver itself and how and where it mounts to the bow, all might play a part.  

We do guarantee that you won't see any difference in how your bow shoots (except maybe quieter).  If you feel that it does, you may call to make arrangements for returning the quiver for refund.
2fletck
I have no proublem with the EFA quiver. It made no defferance in where the arrow hit it was just that the arrow did not fly as well with the quiver on. It looked to stiff. I think I had the quiver above the fade outs. I have tuned my bow sence then but have not had time to shoot with the quiver on the bow. I like the EFA quiver and was just looking for some advice.
Tom

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
I agree with Curveman on my 54" Treadway and 58" RER longbows. I seem to shoot better with the added weight on these bows. More noticable after say 5 shots of a prcatice session. Just my opinion.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I have had 5-6 bows that i put quivers on on did fine ,most seemed to make things better. I have had 3 or so that the quivers messed th9ings up big time so i used other means . Let the bow tell you!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©