3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cougars in Louisiana  (Read 310 times)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Cougars in Louisiana
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
La. Wildlife and Fisheries has verified the 2nd. and 3rd.Cougar sightings in La.(1st. was in 2002) in two different Parishes app. 100 miles apart on Sept.4th and Sept. 29th. The pics. were on private trail cameras.One of the pics. in on the parish line about 12-14 miles from my property but up to 1 year and $100,000.00 fine possible so I guess won't be hunting them soon.Kip

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cougars in Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
But they can't be fined for hunting you.      :scared:    :scared:    :biglaugh:

I guess we have sign her in MI as well but I've never seen any.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Saw that on the Shreveport Times website yesterday Kip.  Hope they stay south of me!!

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Kip--We have seen them for years in Caddo,Bossier,DeSoto and webster Parishes. The Keatchie area in DeSoto Parish has sightings every season.------------Bone

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Hey Mike--They don't eat Trad Bowhunters--Bone   :biglaugh:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
They arent officially in NY. I have found tracks, my wife and mother have each seen one, along with various other neighbors.
Im REALLY glad they arent REALLY in NY. Otherwise I might be looking over my shoulder the whole way into my stand....lol.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Selfyewdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
It's funny.  We can tell the fisheries we had seen them, but until they have proof, they won't acknowledge they are around.  We saw one at our place in Norwood over 5 years ago and my friend saw one on his deerstand in Kentwood 13 years ago.
74" Pacific Yew Classic English Yew Longbow 60#@29"

62" Pronghorn 3pc takedown 60#@28"

68" Custom Hickory longbow 52#@28"

Louisiana Traditional Bowman member, ARTAC member, BLBS member

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
yep heard about that.

I saw a huge bobcat one time. No cougar though. My brother claims he saw one in South Mississippi. Right north of the border.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
That is why I posted this.They have been sighted like many other states but not officially.Now the L.D.W.F. has given their blessing and admitted they are here although they mentioned  released pets as a possible reason like many other states have done.Sure must be a lot of cats released all over the east and south.Kip

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
been spotted on the land I hunt down here in tangipahoah parish(just north of NO) a couple times by the land owner and his nieghbor, one sighting was of a momma and two cubs, he even heard one night
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
I have seen 2 while hunting in Jackson parish. Once I even called a WLF agent and showed him the tracks of one and all he would say was that there are none in my area and the track was a "bobcat track" yaeh right I saw what made the track and it was a far cry from a bobcat.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
I saw one years ago while riding my 4-wheeler in northern Winn Parish.  I was just a mile or so south of the Jackson Parish line.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
I used to live in Sabine Parish. I can remember my Grand father telling stories of a cat killing cattle in the early 1900's. Maybe there back!   :scared:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
I'm glad they finally got some pics. of some.  My buddies laughed me out of camp 4 or 5 years ago when I saw one cross the road in front of me while turkey hunting in Boise Vernon, now called Clear Creek wma.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Every year here in Desoto parish people have reported seeing them.  Including family members of mine that i trust.  I am 35 and have been hearing this since I can remember, not  just recently.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline riot1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I saw one back in 98 or 99 on Sherburn WMA.  I reported it but the guy at the New Iberia W&F office told me I didn't know what I was looking at.

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
My parents live in the far SE corner of OK, not far from LA.  For years, the neighbors wife says she has seen one on more than one occasion while deer hunting.  Funny thing is, it wasn't until the state bought several hundred acres bordering my dad's property that we started seeing all sorts of non native animals, from lions, to otters.  A nearby resident even caught a bear in a hog trap.  Several years ago we were there during hunting season and my son was out in the woods by himself.  He came back all scared, saying that he saw a large (long tailed) cat jump out of a tree.  Kind of made me afraid to let him go out alone.  It seems that the OK dept of wildlife doesn't want to admit that they are there for some reason.  Could the word "transplant" have anything to do with it?
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©