3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ashby penetration compilation of data wanted  (Read 201 times)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
ashby penetration compilation of data wanted
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
can someone with time on thier hands put together a chart showing the percentage gains of each of the components that Dr Ed Ashby has written about? If i had time i would do it myself.
ie weight gain, foc/balanced, tapered shaft, speed, single bevel/double bevel,angle of hit, angle of broadhead, etc.
Maybe Dr Ed has time???
R

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ashby penetration compilation of data wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Would it not be more worthwhile to max your arrows with each of those components and not worry about the numbers?

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
i don't really care as far as my set up is concerned, just curious to see it all on one page to hand to the "uninformed".
R

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
That's not a lot of time...that's a LOT of time.  Besides, I'm with TomMcDonald.  It would be easier, especially for you, to just take each of those components and max your setup for each.

Get a 3:1 head that's single bevel on a relatively heavy arrow and the highest point weight you can get to tune.

The speed vs weight thing is argued all the time in the compound circles.  They yell back and forth about KE and trajectory and ignore momentum. Go heavy and be done with it.

When things get "quantified" we have a tendency to start stressing over the details.   Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Micah 6:8

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Robert, the 'real tissue' penetration gain percentages for the various well-quantified factors is coming in the very next Update; 2007 Part 8 (the last in the 2007 series).

Some factors can't be directly quantified because of the multiple variables; for example, the difference broadhead MA makes depends on the MA of the individual broadheads compared. However, there is also a section on how much total gain in average outcome penetration can be achieved between a typical arrow setup, a penetration-maximized normal/high FOC arrow and a penetration-maximized EFOC arrow.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©