3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: keeping your residency  (Read 409 times)

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
keeping your residency
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Dont know if anybody can answer this?? If someone used to live in Iowa and moved out of state a few years ago can they still keep their Iowa residency???

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: keeping your residency
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
The definition of resident is " residing in that state". If you moved somewhere else you no longer reside in Iowa. I'd have to say it's a definite no. I know some states sell a lifetime license, not sure what happens if you move out of state, and still have the lifetime license.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
Each state determens residency as they see fit, so check with the state you have ?'s with.

Keep in mind if you are out of state for college you may be able to hunt both states as a resident (the state you pay taxes in and the state you attend college)

Montana requires you reside here 7months/yr.

good luck!
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
There was a California case of a person(s) that moved to California; and applied for monetary assistance.
 The person(s) were denied full benefits until they had lived in California for 6 months.
 That was appealed all the way to the supreme court of the USA.
 The decision was that you are a resident of a state: when you declare yourself as a resident.

Declaration would be having an address; a drivers license; and your own insistance you are a resident of a specific state.

Its been many years- but I remember that it was all over the news and talk radio. Most discussions were about people getting assistance.

But then- one person that lived in Maryland; and had lived in Maryland for over 5 years; and was the whole time being charged with out of state tuition fees. The person asked why they had to pay the out of state fees; when they owned a home in Maryland; lived there; and had children there. ( as I recall the Maryland student called the Rush Limbaugh show).

That sent out a huge shock wave; because I heard not one comment about it on any tv or talk show after that.

I do not know the name of the case; but it would seem that you are a resident of a state when you move there and declare yourself a resident. While that was the supreme court answer to residency; it then does seem to open the door to a lot of things...including hunting license 'non' residence fees.

I do not understand how it would work otherwise.

If you move out of a state; its no longer your resident state; and if you move into another; then your a resident of that state. Why you cannot get a resident license in the state you moved from or the state you moved too: until you "establish" a certain residency requirement. That ~seems~ to be answered by the supreme court decision originating in California.

I do think its one of those things that you are guilty of- until you prove your innocence.

I think you meet opposition in all states about residency requirements by those sworn to uphold the constitution - and that includes the supreme court decisions.

I do not know how they have considered the SC decision for voting rights.

Its one of those things that someone will eventually stand up for their rights too- and win.

Until then; you will have to deal with the bad guys: posing as good guys.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
check the hunting guide that (it seems) all states put at the wal-mart/k-mart sporting goods counters. there is always a resident/non-resident description in them...although, this  won't help you if you are to far from the state you wanna know about.
maybe someone in iowa could pickup a copy and pm you the important part??
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Unless you are active military, I think it's usually based on where your primary residence is located.

I would check your states residency restriction to verify as they all my be a little different.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Most states I am familiar with say you are a resident after 6 months of residency.
  The lifetime license is a good option but a non-residence lifetime license can be quite expensive if your state even allows it. I bought a SC lifetime license 6 months before I moved from SC to NC. That was 18 years ago and I have never been questioned about it. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
A lot of states run a SS# compare between sold licenses.  They catch the law breakers by seeing someone buying res license in multiple states.

There are exceptions for military and I believe college students in some states.

Too me there is not a whole lot of difference in shooting a deer after hours and buying a res license when you are not a legal res. Both are game violations and should be punished.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
If you buy a life license, I have been told you can still hunt in that state. That did not come from an official though.

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
I will tell you from personal experience that the driver's license you hold better match your in state tags...even if you've lived there your entire life and moved two weeks before hunting season.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I would consider a lifetime license a lifetime license no matter where you live if you bought it legally.     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
In Vermont so long as you buy it while a resident it is good for life. I bought one for hunting and fishing for my son when he was born. It cost me $150 to set him up for life. Get's much more expensive after a child hits the age of one though.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Pat,

The only way to be sure is to check with the state that sold the lifetime license.

Would be a way to get around the non-res though.

However, I know you can only be the resident of one state.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Here in NY - similar to what Dave did, you can get a Lifetime License.  No matter where you may live in the future, they will send you your purchased benefit (ie: small game, big game, fishing, archery, blackpowder) until you die.  Nice gift to the kids if you expect them to flee the nest, but will be home arounf seasons.  It gets costly as you get older, but even then has about a 10 to 15 year payback.  Great option of you are in this state where the costs continue to go up.  Mine has been paying for itself (a normal license costs about $68 for my privelages this year), and I got it for around $600 a number of years back if I remember correctly.

As to claiming resident rights, you better have a current Driver's License, and something else (phone bill, utility bill, etc.) or you might get in a little trouble......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
In Iowa to be considered a resident, one must have an Iowa drivers license, pay taxes in Iowa,(federal and state tax ),show proof of residency, etc.

I don't think these requirements are  applicable to students.

I don't think one can get a lifetime liscense until you're 65. I certainly could be wrong about that though.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
Mike, in SC, where I got mine, it is legal for me as a NC resident to use it because it was bought legally when I was a NC resident.
   I paid $500 as an adult resident for my lifetime license but for out of state lifetime license for SC it is $1000. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
No, and there are a lot of lowlife's skirting the law so they can hunt Iowa every year. It's unfortunate that the state doesn't allow a landowner to hunt his own property but that's the law and guys that buy land there know it ahead of time. I'm disgusted to think that there are any bowhunters on this forum that would stoop to breaking the law in such a manner then claim to have traditional values.

This is not directed at anyone who has posted or Feve316 for asking the question. It's just a hot button issue with me. Kinda like Obama's tax plan, take form those who work and give it those who won't.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
In VA you can hunt your own property (and your parents' and children's property) without a license.  Also a lifetime license is good in VA even if you move out of the state later.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I just checked with the Iowa DNR. You can not get a lifetime license unless you are 65 or older, have severe disabilities, or are a vetren of a war/conflict.

Even then, if you move out of state, you can only return and hunt small game . It does NOT allow you to hunt deer or turkey.You must meet residentcy requirements to hunt deer and turkey.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Kansas sells a lifetime license and it allows You to buy deer and turkey tags the same as a Resident even after You move out of state.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©