3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Counting Coupe  (Read 341 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Counting Coupe
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Took a walk today hoping for a shot at a turkey. Got a few shots at some tree rats. Rolled one pretty good, but he got up, flexed, then ran back up the tree. So much for judos on tree rats. Started using my Bh tipped arrows after that.
I was sneaking through the logging trails and clear cuts hoping for a shot at anything in season. I saw a multiflora rose bush move. Instantly, I slowed, checked the wind(out of habit-didnt see the critter yet).
I got about 15 yards from the rosebush and saw an ear. I circled around the rosebush.Took me about ten minutes. "Slow" I kept telling myself. I was doing my best to be a tree. Motionless yet in motion.
Eventually, I was only separated from the animal by the bush. Nothing to do, cant shoot through the tangled branches. Cant even let them touch you, or they hold on. I move ever so slowly, one meticulous step at a time. I come around and I see a hindquarter. Another step, perfect quartering away shot. I draw, anchor, breathe...then whisper "thump". At that word, the doe turns and sees me six feet away, her eyes bulge and she trips over herself to get as far away as fast as she can. I realize after I ease down that Im shaking ever so slightly. What a rush!
I continued on to a known roost site, figuring to sit until "roost time". I find a perfect deadfall to ambush unsuspecting turkkeys from. I cleared away the dead leaves and debris and did my best to melt into the scenery.
My vigil interupted by my growling stomach. I dig out an apple from my pocket. I must have been very hungry, because that apple was good! While I was chewing, I heard the faintest sound behind me. I froze. No more sound. I slowly lean around the big pine Im using as a back rest. My eyes bulge. An absolutely HUGE coyote, beautiful in his winter coat, is ten yards away and looking away from me. My heart begins to pound as I think I am about to get a shot. It is then I realize I still have the apple in my gloved hand. I try to devise a way to drop the apple, draw and shoot-after spinning around the pine. Not gonna happen. I look around the other way, looking for an opening, while silently laying the apple on the ground. To my astonishment, another yote is standing there five yards behind the first-watching me. We make eye contact, then its an instant explosion of padded feet on leave, sticks breaking, and squirrels chattering at the sudden movement. I didnt even draw my bow.
I realize, after they were out of sight, that I am shaking again. I look down, my apple rolled into the dirt. My stomach growls. Its almost dusk. I guess I will go home. The turkeys never showed up anyway.
I get home, greeted by my wife and my jealous Britany Spaniel(she's mad I was in the woods without her). My son giggles when I squat down to hug him. Then he takes his first steps to me. My wife and I, mouthes agape, begin to laugh. Our son is walking on his own for the first time. Over and over again between us.
It was a GREAT day.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Counting Coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
That is an awesome day!

Sounds like the yotes were figuring on turkey for dinner too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Sounds great bud!! Nice when we have a bunch of firsts!! Best of luck Saturday, Damon and I may swing by to see how you did! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:59:00 AM »
Jamie, that is one of the best stories I have ever read. I loved your hunt, it was more eventful than most of mine, and contained many of the same elements. Yes, an apple never tastes better than when you are hungry and in the woods!

Your homecoming was the true trophy of the day. Congratulations, and may you and your family walk together forever.

Killdeer~gonna smile all day because of your story!  :)    :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
All I can say is.... How Cool Is That?!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Great story Jamie,,,best part is you were there for your son starting to walk on his own. What a special moment!!!

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
Oh boy! Lock up the cabinets! Childproof the house! Quick! Show him how to take the garbage out Jamie!

Glad you took the chance to get into the woods.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Good story!
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Truly a very special day, one to be remembered. You're a lucky man.    :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline carparcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Sounds like a great day in the woods.  I am w/ vermonster in thinking that the yotes were there for the same reason you were!

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
Just great Jamie,won't be long till that boy is in the wood with you, i really enjoyed the story.
  :campfire:    :archer:

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Great story thanks for sharing.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Days like that are special indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. Im still smiling this morning.
Shawn, good luck to you and Damon....I expect a call. I will be at work.  "[dntthnk]"  
Killy, thanks. That means a lot coming from you.
I figured the coyotes and I were there for the same reason. Guess we were both surprised.
The deer sign was amazing! I need more stands for all the hot spots I found.
My first day out will be Monday, I have to work from now until then.
Again, thanks everyone, now I gotta go child-proof the house...even more.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
What a fantastic day!  You have a way with words that brings "us" into the adventure with you...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I would classify that as a great day as well. God bless you and yours. Thanks for sharing.  :clapper:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Jamie that is a great story, your son is just beginning to take his first steps but it won't be long before he is taking over all your gear   :bigsmyl:  don't ask how i know that.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
The planets were aligned for you my friend.  Very nice story indeed.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Sounds like a good day to me   ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©