3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody "Smoke Their Clothes"before a hunt?  (Read 443 times)

Offline str8sh2ter

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody "Smoke Their Clothes"before a hunt?
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
lol,No I don't mean roll your own and smoke them!
  I've been hearing alot about using wood smoke for a cover up scent.The Scent Smoker is the thing for sale.i used a small fire in a patio fire box to do it. Got everthing smoked and went out to spot for deer yesterday afternoon/evening.There was a firly steady wind.Four does smelled the smoke and turned and ran .No hesitation and the were 100yds off when they winded the smoke.
  I've been reading how everyones been within 10yds and no bust.Anyone out there had good results from this method?I'm ready to wash my duds and go another route.Maybe it wa just an isolated thing but no sure what to do.

Offline captaincaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody "Smoke Their Clothes"before a hunt?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
I just got my scent smoker yesterday. Gona give it a shot this evening.  I'll let you know

Josh

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
At 100 yards how do you know it was your smoke that scared them off?

Could possibly have been something else they picked up in the wind
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
I don't understand smoke as a cover scent.  It either means the forest is on fire (danger) or there are people around (danger).  I could see it if you were hunting an area where the deer were around houses with woodstoves alot (similar to using diesel on farms) but not in the woods.  It's not a smell that belongs in the woods.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I've heard of it, but haven't tried it myself.  My own idea on scent is that there is nothing that will completely cover up your own odor.  I try to keep as scent free as possible, but even then, by far the most important thing is to play the wind.  

If the deer get downwind of you the game most often is over.  Occasionally there may be updrafts or swirls can work to your favor. It may seem that the deer are downwind of you and don't react, but in reality for some reason they don't catch your scent stream.  This doesn't mean that the cover up scent worked.

Just my opinion, but there is no such thing as "Forget the wind and just hunt"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
There are some by-products that are produced when wood is burned, that inhibit the growth of bacteria. Odor is caused by bacteria, some more offensive than others. Carbon is also a by-product of wood being burned.

Let me say, at this point that I DO NOT believe that ANYTHING can totally eliminate the human smell that we produce, just by living our lives. I believe that our breath is something that gets us busted a lot more than we realize.

Take a shower and wash with perfume free soap, smoke yourself and all of your gear that you are carrying with you. You might be surprised at the results.

I am absolutely sure that the animals can smell the smoke, but don't seem to be afraid of the smell, or associate it with danger. I know, doesn't make sense, but here in WV and Ohio, there isn't any place that I hunt that doesn't have the smell of wood smoke in the air in the fall and winter.

This has been beat to death on another forum that I spend time on......the truth is, it works and it really doesn't matter why to me.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
i used to smoke my clothes and if nothing else it smelled good to me. lol. really though i don't think it had a negative affect at all. i've actually thought of doing it again. mostly i just like to hang my gear out side and love it when it gets rained on!

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
I'm on the fence with the Scent Smoker. I hurt my back the first week of our season and was forced to hunt on the ground in a blind, so I showered before each hunt and got smoked up before each hunt. I had deer blowing at me all week.

I'm in a tree these last few days, and hunted a few spots that I shouldn't have because of bad wind. I figured I'd see if the smoke theory works in situations like this. No dice.

Had some action last night while wearing freshly washed gear that wasn't smoked. Go figure.

It's gonna take me a while to decide whether or not it works. Knowing that I had to extinguish a cigarette in order to shoot the last 6-7 deer that I harvested, I thought it might be a good idea. Only time will tell.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
No, I'm trying to cut back...  :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I personally wouldn't PURPOSELY smoke up my stuff, however, as can be seen on nearly all of the old videos (and some not so old), guys like Fred Bear, and (won't name more.. but   many) are seen sitting around the campfire in their hunting duds.  I think, if you play the wind correctly, they won't smell the smoke either,  if you don't, well they will smell you and the smoke.
ChuckC

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
i had a friend that used to get "smoked up" before he hunted!!  :banghead:  
i dont hunt with him anymore!!
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
adkmountainken's mom "smoked" his hunting clothes behind the woodstove one year.(to dry them)

The kid went out the next day and killed the second biggest buck of his life!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
The areas I hunted in Colorado had fires about 5 years ago.  Still have burnt stumps and stuff.  If you don't have anything like that or houses burning wood in the area don't use it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
My hunting clothes aways smell like smoke from my woodstove at camp or the campfire outside or the essence of Marlboro.

I really can't claim that it helps or hurts. Some deer just pay more attention to scents than others I think.

I've had deer dead down wind of me that flipped out and others that ignored me. Go figure.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
The "essence of marlboro"?

YUUUCCHHHHHHH!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
i dont smoke my cloths or do anything to try cover my scent. there are ways of helping reduce sent but nothing to illuminate it so if the animals gonna smell you he's gonna smell you.

i know a lot of guys burn zebra dung in the hides in South Africa but where animals are not used to the smell it dont work, i tried it in one of the hides iv built and almost killed a few really nice animals but not with my bow ...but because  the animals almost running themselves dead on the trees trying to get away    :D
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
When it starts to get cold that ppl start their fireplaces then it's time to smoke the hunting clothes. I have done this in years past and have gotten deer at 5 yards. The trick is to use it where deer can smell smoke from houses.

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Ive never actually smoked my clothes. However Ive sweated in them stood around campfires and cooked alot of smelly but good food and have never been busted from that YET!!!! I would give it another try if I were you.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
i'll tell ya i sit high up on a ridge and i can smell wood smoke from the only house at the base of the mountain with ease. i do not purposley smoke my clothers but i can see where in certain situations it could be a great cover scent if wood smoke is in the area. as Chuck said my clothes STUNK of smoke from sitting behind a wood stove. i killed a SLAMMER that day.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Mountainmen and Indians smelled of sweat,wood smoke,whiskey,bear grease,coffee....
I think it's motion and wind that hurts us. JMHO.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©