3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: source for 5/16 hickory shafts?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
source for 5/16 hickory shafts?
« on: January 02, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Anyone know of a good source for quality 5/16" Hickory shafts?

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: source for 5/16 hickory shafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
I'd like to know too!
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I would try Bill Bonzar at Allegany Mountain Arrow Woods.  If he doesn't have any on hand he can make them or tell you the next time he will be running them.  I know I had to wait a couple of months while he made me some 5/16 purple hearts but it was well worth the wait.  Nice shafts. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Check out Troy's site here
 http://www.sticksandfeathers.com/
It says they have them in limited quantities.
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Question on  5/16 Hickory  Shafting : Are they a Step  UP  from Cedar or one step  DOWN??  :confused:    Sounds like a Do It Yourself / Arrow Jig and a Plane to make them all by Yourself Job? Just an Interest in them for my Own Usage.  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
I have tried that in the past, Shakes...with poor results...when I cut the square roughouts from the stock the hickory bent like I had cut them out of hoola hoops and would NOT stay straight more than a few minutes...and that was very dry, well seasoned wood with low moisture content.

They are a step UP in my mind....they are 50 times more durable...weigh more...stay straight (the ones I have gotten from Troy Breeding do- I have not tried any from Alleghany but suspect they are good shafts also).

The only downside to them is when they DO break, which isnt often, they don't have that pretty smell...but hey, I don't LIKE breaking wood arrows.

I have shot 7 armadillos with ONE of my Troy Breeding shafts...anyone who has ever shot an armadillo will tell you they are tough on arrows.

Wash it off, resharpen, put it back in the quiver and she's ready for dilla.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
what is your approx. arrow weight ray?
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline mo bo hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I got some from troy awhile back, they stay straight, and very durable. mine come out  finished right at 800 grains. the shafts were 580-600 grains. try some youll like them.
WIDOW PCH 44#
PREADTOR CLASSIC 58#
DREAMCATCHER 50#
BROWNING EXPLORER 35#

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Milt Beens at Wildcat Canyon Archery, in Durango, CO, used to have a good line on good hick shafts; I'm still shooting the survivors of a dozen he made for me many years ago. Give him a call at 970/247-2894 during working hours including Saturday. If he doesn't have them, he should know who does ... and can suggest viable alternatives to hickory. Good luck.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
brent,

call troy or whomever you choose to get them from- usually they have shafts in a pretty decent array of weights so you can choose the raw shaft weight that will get you where you want to be for finished arrow weight.

They are definitely heavier than cedars. You dont want to know MY finished arrow weight it will scare you!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©