3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow weight - Fred Asbell article  (Read 438 times)

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow weight - Fred Asbell article
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
I came across an article that was pretty interesting and thought I'd share (if I'm allowed to, that is...moderators?).  It was written by Fred G. Asbell and was printed in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine (Dec 2005/Jan 2005; Vol 16, No 6).

Link to article  

It's a slightly long article (about 6 pages in Word Document format) but about half way down the article (point #9) he mentions a "test" to see if you're overbowed or not.  Holding your bow, point it down at the ground with the back of your bowhand on the inside of your knee and draw your bow to anchor.  Do the same with your [bow]thumb on the outside of your knee and draw to anchor.  He writes that if you struggle with either/both, then you're overbowed.  I've recently worked up to a 48# bow and have yet to try this test.  I hope I pass.          :D        

There are other interesting points in the article about arrow weight and penetration.

EDIT: Thanks for letting me know, Soilarch.  Fixed the link...hopefully.
EDIT2: That darn link...   :confused:
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow weight - Fred Asbell article
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Link didn't work for me.  Thought I'd let you know.

Sounds interesting though.
Micah 6:8

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Cool article, thanks for showing it.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
I think if you cannot hit what you are aiming at consistently, you are overbowed!!!!!
Hill

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
If I'm honest here I'll say that article does apply a little to me. I can pull a 70# bow to full draw. I can't shoot it worth a crap but I CAN pull it. My recurve right now pulls to about 58# at 29". I would love to drop that down to 50#. The reason I haven't done it is because I already have expensive carbons matched to the bow and I don't want have to pay to redue my whole setup plus a new bow.
When I do get the money to buy a new bow it will be a lighter one even though I have gotten stronger through continued practice.
I'd have to say that a guy dragging a dead deer will look a lot manlier than a guy walking out of the woods with one lost arrow and nothing to show for it.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, Dozer - it was mostly a budget issue for me.  My first bow was 30# and I shot that for years.  It got to a point where I could shoot continuously with good form, for about an hour and a half.

My next (current) bow is 48# at my draw.  In the beginning, I could only shoot for about 20 to 30 minutes with that bow before everything went to heck.  But practicing consistently allows me to shoot for over an hour with good form.

Basically, I didn't have the money to go from a 30# to a 35# to a 40#, etc...so I chose to go to the "ideal" hunting weight and condition myself for it.  So, I was definitely overbowed at first...I think I'm okay now.  I'll be shooting later today and will try the test to find out for sure.
"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that and just play."
-Charlie Parker

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Help me out, can you fix the link so the article will open, or can you re-read the article and quote him exactly as to how the test is conducted.

I can see how you can point your feet in a classic "T" stance which would allow you to place the back of your bow hand against the inside of your forward knee so that the bottom half of the bow runs in front of your back knee to prevent drawing the bow between your legs into your crotch. But, I don't see how you can put the thumb side of your bowhand on the outside of your forward knee and prevent from drawing your bowstring into your armpit. If you put the thumb side of your bowhand on the outside of your back knee, you would have to either draw the bow upside down into your armpit or curl the string to get the draw outside of your armpit.

I'm missing something here with the test having nothing to do with bow weight.

Thanks,
Daddy Bear

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Another test is to stand on a low stool, hold the bow parallel to the ground, about knee level,   step over it with both feet,  rest your head on one knee while drawing and shoot at a target that is at head hight behind you and slightly to your left  (right for left handers.  

Make sure you take photos (or video) and post them here.  sharing is good.

Just shoot your bow and have fun.  Quit worrying about what Fred says.
ChuckC

Offline s_mcflurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
@ChuckC, LOL...I don't think I'm that flexible.    ;)   I'm still trying to get the kinks out of my knees.

I'm not saying that Fred's word is gospel by any means...just something else to pass the time, I suppose.    :)

But I've uploaded  the article  to another server and hopefully that should work.  I'm also pasting that part of the article about the test.

A great test for bow weight is to point your bow straight down with the back of your bowhand against your knee, and then pull the bow to full draw with your finger in the corner of your mouth. Turn the bow the other way and try it with your thumb against the outside of your knee. Try it cold, when you haven't shot an arrow...which is how it will happen to you in the woods. It's a valid test... If you can't do that, you probably need a lighter weight bow. -Fred Asbell
-Charlie Parker

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
I got it, "point your bow straight down with the back of your bowhand against your knee". The back of the hand on the "inside" of the knee threw me off. I understand what he is saying, Thanks.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
AAAhhhh, now I get it. If you shoot yourself in the foot, you are overbowed.

Now if this happens in the woods, you are probably pretty bored and should be stump shooting to warm up.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Amen Fred!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
That article,was one of the factors in me decideing to drop down in bow weight.The other was the nagging pain.It is a decision that im glad i made,for severall reasons,Many of which are mentioned in that article.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Arbitrary test (How does he come up with this stuff and yes, I can do it)?! If you are hitting your target consistently you are fine-even if you are drawing short (kidding)!  :bigsmyl:    If you can draw to full anchor and shoot well you are not overbowed! No need for an "Asbell test" unless that is the position you always shoot your deer.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Curve  if you are drawing short,  and you do it every time   are you really drawing short ?  or is that your own personal anchor point ?
ChuckC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »
If your anchor point would be further back on a lighter bow; I'd say you were overbowed on the heavier one. I've seen guys saying they were shooting a 60 lb bow have 6 inches of arrow sticking out. Which isn't to say they don't shoot it well but when they shoot one of their lighter bows there is but an inch. Mine can very depending if I am using a more closed or open stance.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
Im a bit weary of all these arbitrary "over bowed" tests. What is indictive for one person can be meaningles for another.

If you switch to a lighter bow and find you shoot well but didnt before then you were over bowed.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©