3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Input on trophy rooms from those who have  (Read 258 times)

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Input on trophy rooms from those who have
« on: October 18, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I`m in the process of building a trophy room /living room. Any dues or don`ts would be helpful, i have the basics in progress. It is 32-22 room with 20" step divided by a knee wall at the half way point,down to a large fireplace in the lower section , 10`walls with post-beam hand   cut trusses with pine tung en groove ceiling on top the beams with 2 gable walls 7/12 pitch for my heads.I have 6 widows in lower section none on the upper. My intent is to create as much ledge space as possible for pictures an finds, my walls are frame an waiting on truss work as i write. Any cool ideas or suggestion would be appreciated before i get to far in to this an have any regrets of missing the obvis,it`s always neat to get anther persons take on things from someone who`s already done it. As this starts to come together i hope to post some pics. THANKS
Bull

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Input on trophy rooms from those who have
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
The ledges are a great idea.  Consider sheating walls with 3/4 plywood prior to drywall/decorative wood so you can hang anything anywhere without the need to search out a stud.  I also tihnk the 10' walls is a great idea, even better than vaulted ceiling.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Steve, plywood walls are a definite. I`ve seen other rooms before an i am amazed at simple little twist`s people come up with.
Bull

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
The ledge in my room is about 10' and it's too high. I've ended up putting stuff on the floor that I had pictured up on the ledge. In real life, it's rare to see most critters above you . Sheep and cats being the exceptions.

Don't put in too many windows. Sunlight will destroy your mounts.

I also have plywood behind the sheetrock.

Oh yeah, I prefer a painted sheetrock wall instead of wood only because it gives better contrast to your mounts.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Oops. Almost forgot. I have several banks of lighting on different switches. If you're "showing off" you'll want lots of light. Every option from aircraftlanding light brite to medium to soft.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Biggie, that bring up a biggest bridge`s i haven`t cross yet is lighting. What is the best type of lighting, track , eyeballs or individual lights for specific mounts? I no lighting can make or brake a room for sure. As far as my ledge i figure about 3-4' high around the lower section mainly for pictures (an beers) an heavy tint on the windows for uv protection
Bull

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I used the recessed can lights cause they are adjustable. In my 30x30 room I have 20 lights each has 100w spot bulbs.
I almost wish I woulda put a few more cause I still get some shadows.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
One other question Biggie, where do i get those big bucks every body has hanging there rooms????   :biglaugh:
Bull

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
There's no secret to that either...you just gotta go where they are!

I'm sitting here looking at the ones I have mounted. 5 from Montana, 1 from Iowa, 2 from Georgia.

See what I mean?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©