3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to the site, hello. Questions follow.  (Read 288 times)

Offline CTaggart

• Trad Bowhunter
New to the site, hello. Questions follow.
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »
As titled, I am a new member to this site.  As a newbie, I obviously have a few questions.  

Firstly, I am interested in purchasing my first traditional bow, probably in the taste of a recurve.  I have no idea what to look for in a recurve bow.  Something good for a beginner that also has the potential to hunt game as large as whitetail with.  I would prefer to keep the cost of the bow under $300 dollars and am not against purchasing a used bow.  

I guess that is really the only question I have right now.  I just need some advise to get me steered in the right direction so I know what to look for.  Thank you, in advance, for any and all tips you provide.  Happy shooting.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to the site, hello. Questions follow.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
I hate to break the news to you, but you're probably going to need two bows.  The good news, however, is that you don't need two bows right away.  The first bow you're going to need is a bow that you can draw easily and hold at full draw for a few seconds without struggling.  That's the bow you'll learn to shoot with, and you'll want a bow that you can shoot many times in a row, to develop consistent form.  What poundage bow should that be?  You'll have to visit some bow shops and shoot a few bows to find out, but it will probably be in the 40# range, plus or minus.  The length can be on the long side, as that makes it easier to shoot, maybe 62 - 66".  When the bow is strung, look down the string from each end and make sure the string runs straight as it bends around the recurved tips: that the bow tips are not twisted to one side or the other at all.

As you learn to shoot this bow, and if you decide traditional archery is someting you really want to do, you will develop the necessary strength and skill to pull a heavier bow.  How much heavier you decide you want for a hunting bow is up to you.  I find that I can shoot a hunting bow that is up to 15 pounds heavier than my practice bow.  I find, as many people do, that my accuracy does not suffer at all in shooting the heavier bow; in fact, I think I shoot it better.  For about the first 10 shots or so, that is, and then my arrows begin to spread out.  But the first shot is the only one that counts when you're hunting.  If you're going to hunt from trees or in brush, you might want to get a shorter bow, say in the 58 - 62" range, for your hunting bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline CTaggart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
McDave, thank you for your timely and articulate advise.  I'm pulling 65 pounds on my Matthews right now, so I think that 40 pounds on a recurve would be a good point at which to start.  As far as brands, could you, or anybody else for that matter suggest one?

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
In a new bow a Quinn Stallion is IMHO your best bet.It's a 3 piece with a metal riser for $270 new.They are fine shooting bows,better than most at this price IMHO.Get 40lb limbs to start and a heavier set later.

There are lots of used bows but as mentioned you need to start light.Keep in mind that some bowyers take a long time to make a second set of limbs,up to a year.The last I checked you could get Quinn limbs much faster.The quinn will shoot just like any trad bow but it's not a pretty as exotic wood.On the up side you won't feel like crying the first time you scratch it.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Try looking at a Bear Recurve the Grizzly model is a
great all around bow in 45#. Just $308 at Kustom King.Ask for Gabby.
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
The classifieds here are a great place to pick up an excellent used bow.  The best part is that if and when you decide you want to move on to a heavier or different bow you should be able to recover most if not all of what you paid for it by reselling it again here.

If you are pulling a 65# compound standard advice is to start out with a trad bow no more than 15 - 20 pounds lighter.  That would put you in the 45 - 50# range, which is an adequate hunting bow for anything you might find in PA.

Welcome to the Gang!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Any of the recurves by bear are probly a good bet, and you can find those used for a decent price. The Daemon Howatt hunter is also a good recurve. And yeah, I'd probly go with a 50#ish bow if I was you.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang,
Im Mike Rash the owner and Bowyer of Legends Bows.I am a sponser and my website can be found under the sponsers list.If i can help you let me Know.
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©