3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help choosing ACS-CX or Morrison  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help choosing ACS-CX or Morrison
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
I own and shoot an ACS CX and have never had a problem with arm slap.  My wife still makes fun of the face I made after the first time I shot it at Compton a couple years ago.  She said that she new after that first shot, I was buying that bow.  I think John had to pry it out of my hand, so they could close up the vendor tent that night.  I came back first thing in the morning and bought it.  Loved that bow ever since!  I have even managed to kill a few things with it.  
  I have owned a couple of Bob's bows over the years and all were great shooters, fit and finish was excellent, and having talked to Bob at couple shoots, I can say Bob is a great guy to deal with.  This year at Compton, I shot alot of different bows from many vendors, including Bob's new foam core longbow limbed shawnee.  My wife had asked me what I thought of the different bows and although some were nice and some not so nice ((shiver)), I told her the only bow that truly impressed me was the Morrison bow.  Very smooth, very quick and quiet.  The grip does have a little more meat to it than the ACS CX, however I really prefer the smaller grip ACS CX.  I will never part with my ACS CX and in fact, plan on ordering a new one someday, like that 16 inch riser!  And I didn't buy the Morrison that I shot at Compton, but wouldn't mind owning one, like a 62" Shawnee with foam carbon longbow limbs!  
 I guess I am not helping you out much with your decision and am more responding to the comment on "where all the ACS shooter are".  I didn't post earlier, not because I don't recommend the ACS or think the Morrison would be a bad choice.  But, more because the choice is between two bows that both shoot fast, quiet, look great, and have great customer service.  The small things that make me prefer one over the other, I can't really tell you.  Even if I could, you may not agree.  The best I can recommend is shoot both if it at all possible.  I know you hear that all the time, but in the end what works for me, might not work for you.
  Good luck in your choice and be sure to post pictures of which ever one you get!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Lefty and I agree. They are both great bows and either one would probably serve you well. Most people would love to have either of them because they are top of the line bows. It all comes down to personal preference. I'm not going to sell my ACS CX just because I prefer the Morrisons, because both of them are lots of fun to shoot. No one can argue with Rod Jenkins when he shoots the ACS CX. He can outshoot all of us, and if he says his bows are the best, then they definitely are -- for him. I shoot the Morrisons a little better, but not much, and I think the Morrisons are more attractive too, feel better in my hands, and are smoother with the foam core limbs (with or without the carbon backing). I'm glad I have not had problems like JJ Johnston has. Owning and regularly shooting 7 Morrison bows, including Shawnees, Cheyennes and an ILF, I have never had any of the problems that JJ relates, although I don't doubt he is being totally accurate in what he reports. I would say that he appears to be a lightening rod for problems with Morrison bows that probably keeps the rest of us from having any problems ourselves.    :D   I know that Bob Morrison has his share of warranty issues just like every other bowyer or manufacturer of any product does. I imagine Larry and John at A&H could tell you stories about some of the failures on the ACS CX bows, and I know there have been some. That is one of the reasons that they beefed up the tips over the older O.L. design. That is why you want to deal with people of high quality like Bob, John and Larry. All I can say is that you are asking something like which is better, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, and the answer is that both are great, high performance machines with some pluses and some minuses, but in the end it is which one works best for you. Try them both and see which one you like the most. You have already shot the Morrison Shawnee with the foam/carbon limbs, so you know what Bob Morrison's top of the line feels like. Now find someone with an ACS CX and try it out. You are not going to make a mistake either way. If you were around Oklahoma City, I would be glad to let you shoot my bows and decide for yourself which you like better. I also have Brackenburys, Shrews, a Holm-Made, Blacktails, and some others built by bowyers you might not recognize, and I think they are all great and nice to shoot for different reasons, but you only asked about two of them. Trying to pick a favorite bow is like choosing which of my children I prefer. It is almost an impossible choice overall, but I do recognize the good and not so good points about each of them. All that said, I still think you may be happier with a Morrison if you have to choose only one without trying each of them before you buy. I like my solution better: buy at least one of each and enjoy them without having to pick the "best"!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I have owned both a Cheyenne w/ foam core limbs and a ACS-CX.  For me the grip has work with me in getting a consistant relationship with my bow hand. Neither one of these bows did that...for me. Now for many others they must like the grips. I found another recurve that, for me, is light years ahead in this important feature. If you can't consistantly hit what you are looking at it to me it doesn't matter how fast it shoots or how it looks...even though I do love this other bowyers bows the best for craftsmanship and beauty! You really need to shoot both and see if they work for you.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
I own 3 ACS CX-including one with early OL limbs. I really liked my Morrison-and my Fedora too-but they are gone and not missed.
I went to the ACS to drop down from 58# to 49#-did not loose any OOMPH, and continued to shoot the same arrows!
At the high end I think the choice between bows is purely a personal one-like cuffs on trousers.
Sorry, I can't comment on the part about the I think you mean 'string' hitting the arm.
Frankly that's nothing to do with the bow-that is a shooter issue. I never wear an arm guard with any bow, except to keep clothing out of the way.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Me thinks this thread has took on a air of mudslinging...which is not needed, with all the outstanding bows out there!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I have both the A&H and the Morrison Shawnee and they both are great bows and great people that sell these bows!!I have never had a problem with arm slap at all.Both bows are high end preformers with high end prices and for me they are here to stay.My Morrisons are low grips and i love Bob's bows.The grips seem like they were made for my style of shooting.The A&H  is a sweet grip (14 in riser) and the small grip is again my style of shooting and i have no problem going from bow to bow.Both bows preform as any high end bow should fast/ quiet/ and hits where you look with no hand shock at all.Iwould be more than happy with either of these 2 bows if i only owned 1 bow.You would be happy with either
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I own 2 ACS bows.They are my go to hunting bows.Never shot a morrison but I'm sure they are great also.As with any bow: tuning and technique are key.I agree with Bjorn: arm slap is a shooter issue not a bow issue.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
It seems to me your issue is to drop weight and get high performance. I did the same. Had O.L. build me a bow 14 lbs lighter then my previous bow. Guess what? The lighter Adcock bow shot as flat as the heavier bow. Plus, its the only bow I've owned that SHOT WHERE I WAS LOOKING! Friends that shoot with me can't believe it's a very light bow. Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
That's exactly my issue Biff.  I went thru all that I found here and relayed it to my wife and she said order the big bow, she can't remember ACS-CX, so I have an in-stock ACS headed my way tomorrow.  Thanks to all who responded, it helped alot.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Congrats, both are excellent bows. My ACS-CX (62"65@28) shoots great, quiet, no hand shock and quick. I'll order another next month for my birthday.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Whew!! That was tougher than electing a president!   :bigsmyl:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
Thank you! I needed that!! LOL  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
I own a 58# ACS CX have been shooting it for about 4 months now!  :D  Performance.... second to none, fastest flatbow I've ever shot. Maybe on par or better than my 60# Quest recurve?! As for string slap and fletch contact, I had both but realised that the bow needed tweeking.  :knothead:   Nocking point raised and grip changed I now have none of those problems.  :notworthy:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
No kidding Allen.

When I called yesterday to place the order, it was the second time I had talked to them.  I spent 20 minutes on the phone last Wednesday with all sorts of questions.  After we completed everything yesterday, he said "If you have any problems with tuning or anything else, call and we will help you", can't ask for more than that.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Between Dad and I, we have 5 ACS longbows.  If you are looking at the 3 piece then I would encourage you to go with the low-wrist grip.  Dad had a high-wrist 3-piece and I have a hard time going from my low-wrist or my one-piece and shooting his with accuracy.  My whitetail bow is a one-piece O.L. ACS-CX that is 49@28".  Sweetest bow I have shot. My arrow weight is also 530gr.

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
My vote is for the ACS.  I just bought the standard grip and shoot 600gr arrows and they fly wonderfully.  I'm shooting 49#s at a 25" draw.
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
i voted too late i guess.  congrats and you'll love it!
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
ACS CX...  It has taken me a little while to get the  grip down, but the bow is my favorite bow to shoot ever... A couple suggestions I'd offer:

1. Use a double nock. At first I thought I just forgot how to shoot, but the arrow was sliding down the string upon release and hitting the back of the shelf and causing crazy arrow flight... (I shoot 3 under)...

2. Make sure the nock is high enough. I'd start at 5/8 at the low end...

3. Get comfortable with the grip. Most recurve shooters have no problem, but coming from a longbow/lowwrist grip, at first I was having real difficulty with arm slap...  When I held the bow differently, the problem dissolved.

If I "heeled down" on the bow, I would get terrible are slap and some serious gashes. So I got an arm guard, didn't help...  The arrow flew irradict when the string hit the arm guard.  "Heel down isn't the way to shoot this bow.  If you shoot heel down, I'd say get the low wrist riser...

4. You'll probably need stiffer arrows than you use to.  For example if you shoot a 45 lbs. hybrid longbow and shoot Carbon Express 150's out of it... I don't know for sure, but I doubt the 150's will be stiff enough for the ACS CX at the same 45 lbs...  This bow is very quick..

5. Get ready to sell all your other bows..   The ACS is by far the best bow I have shot. I have shot almost every bow I can think of....

Steve
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
This will be the only bow I have Steve.  I have been selling off bows since I couldn't handle the weight anymore, then I needed to raise some serious jack to afford this one.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
You won't regret getting the ACS. I own two Morrisons, one I just bought from you, and they are great shooting bows. I also just aquired a 58" ACS with the 16" riser and absolutely love it. My ACS is fast, smooth, stable and forgiving. The latter being very important to me since I have had two right shoulder surgeries and fixin' on having another as soon as huntin' seasons over.
             James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©