3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does any hunt with a horse bow?  (Read 302 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
does any hunt with a horse bow?
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
they look like they would be great in the thick stuff, being so short. can they be shot with fingers or are they primarily designed for use with a thumb ring. looks like you would get finger pinch real bad. it's pretty cool watching someone draw one. drawing 28"-30" out of such a short bow, your waiting for the thing to blow up. anyway, any fans who use them for hunting? pics?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: does any hunt with a horse bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
You're not planning something sinister, like getting a horsebow, and a horse, and rampaging on the gallop across the plains to conquor the Northern Territory and Western Australia in order to add to the empirical glory of Queensland, are you Clint?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I got a used one about two weeks ago.  I don't know who made it or where it was made.  It is not a horsebow with the "ears", it is just a 48" recurve with a small shelf.  It has the small, reverse horsebow looking grip.  I have taken it small game hunting for squirrels and rabbits.  I have gotten two squirrels with it.  It is short and easy to get around in brush.  I plan to take it turkey hunting this spring.  Bill

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
I made one and i am extremely pleased with it,49 inches strung and pulls 45#@28,shoots flat and fast,no fingerpinch when i shoot with fingers and can easily draw it to 33 with the thumb draw,plan to use it for deer this year if I get the chance.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »
QUEENSLANDER!!!!!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Clint,

The "horsebow" can be shot with a "normal" draw, or thumbring. If the bow has no shelf, you shoot off your knuckle, like the ELB style of shooting.

With a usable draw weight, you can hunt anything you would take a longbow after.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Got a Saluki last year and I cant say enough about the bow.  It is the smoothest drawing bow I've ever used, and it's faster than I could have imagined.  No finger pinch.  All around a great design.  Absolutely love It, get you one if you can.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Deff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
My son shoots a Samick Horse Bow very well.  It is surprisingly fast and quiet and should make a great hunting bow.  He practices with it all year round. He takes it gopher hunting and stump shooting but he never got confident enough to try it on large game. When elk season rolls around, he grabs his wheelie bow, dusts it off, sights it in and goes hunting.  Maybe next year ----
John D.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Clint,
You might wanna view pics of my Korean bow  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044982;p=1#000000

I draw 29" and this particular bow only draws 46# and is around 48" long.

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©