3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hair shaving sharp?  (Read 671 times)

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hair shaving sharp?
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
There was a thread running a couple of weeks ago asking "How sharp should a broadhead be"? The post got lots of replies about the different well known sharpness "tests" like the rubber band test, and arm hair shaving etc. It also got a few of the funny but exaggerated replies like "sharp enough to make your eyes bleed if you look at the edge".

I didn'y reply because I knew you guys would want to see proof (pictures), but here's what I call "hair shaving sharp":

I took an old beat up, but previously sharpened Grizzly El Grande and "tuned" it up in one of our knife sharpeners. Didn't even strop it, just finished with a translucent Arkansas stone.

When you can shave little curls up on a single human hair without cutting it in half, that's probably sharp enough.

Bet that's not what you expected to see when you clicked this thread??? If I can do it, so can anybody else. Give it a try!

:bigsmyl:           :campfire:    

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hair shaving sharp?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
KME works for me!!  I received mine yesterday after getting suggestions from some folks on here.  First time using it I touched up some Muzzy Phantoms (bleeder blades also) that had passed through deer earlier this year. I also used it on some 2 blade Stingers that had been on practice arrows all summer  was able to get them back to hunting sharp in a few minutes. A very easy system to use with great results.   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Joe,

Didn't intend for this to be a KME thread, just wanted to put a spin on the phrase "hair shaving sharp" but, thank you for the kind words.  

There are people who can achieve this level of sharpness free-hand or with other sharpening systems/techniques just as well. It's not easy no matter how you go about it though.

Any other hair shavers out there?  :pray:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mallard_drake85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
never tried to split a hair, but i always sharpen mine until i can shave with them. like you i use an Arkansas stone, it takes some time but we owe it to the critters we put down!

mallard_drake85
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Man, I can't even see well enough to TRY that, but it is impressive!

I've been learning a lot about sharpening. The most intriguing or convicting is to learn that what might seem a super sharp broadhead "edge" can 'dull' going through a deer and exit less sharp.

In conversations (via email and phone) with Ron (Sharpster) and Ed Ashby, etc., I have to wonder if that is the reason behind so many folks just "accepting" a 2 blade doesn't leave as good a blood trail??? I seldom get good blood trails for 75 yards or more...but the deer dies in 100 or 150!

I know mine are sharp going in, but they're way dull when I find them stuck in teh dirt! There was another thread on some of the harder steel heads being run over alum and still shaving hair! Gads!

Anything to get a better, more durable edge... and according to those here with way more experience than me..it depends both on the type of angle on the sharpening edge...and the quality of the steel.  Arrgggg!  :)

Doc Ashby's testing seems to suggest that the softer the steel the easier to sharpen, but the duller it comes out the other side of the deer and the less damage done en route!

Takes "sharp" to a whole nother level of committment! Always neat to learn new stuff and keep striving!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Sharp is cool. That kind of sharp is REALLY cool.

I recently got some Abowyer "Boneheads", and played around with their hard steel,...until I finally got them sharp.(left bevel)

I now realize how soft the steel in a Zwickey is when compared against something harder. I have heard the Abowyer steel is very comparable to a Grizzly, and I can see that the edge is MUCH more
durable.

After several shots into foam, the Abowyer heads still shaved hair. My Deltas did not.

There is sharp, and then there is cool sharp!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I put a grizzly el grande through a deer yesterday that Ron sharpened for me and it will still shave hair . If you are sharpening challenged send your heads to Ron at KME and get the best edge ever   :notworthy:      :clapper:
Did I mention the bow was 42# @ 28 pulled to 30 1/2 "   :goldtooth:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Without video the pic only proves someone has split ends.    :p
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I believe hair popping sharp is were its at, but shot placement is were the better blood trails come from....
Bull

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Bonebuster and Vermonster, Thank you both, I wanted this to be just a fun, "try this" type of thread.

Vermonster, the "split end" is just a shadow of the end of the hair. It's the little curls to the left of the dime that were shaved. Even though the blade was probably sharp enough, I sure don't have a steady enough hand to split it lengthwise!  :p  

Drew, Congratulations!!! Where are the pics and story???...  :thumbsup:  

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I can certainly get one sharp enough to vertically slit a human hair, I just need someone with hair to practice on!  :bigsmyl:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Funny Rob,why don't you practice on that stuff on ya chin. That way we can see what ya looked like before you joined the witness protection plan!  :goldtooth:
hunt it

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Ron , over on the NYs southern zone hunters  thread :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
If you can do it, so can anyone else....as long as they have a KME sharpener like I do, right Ron?
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Man!!  It's hard enough to get a regular BH that sharp, much less a grizzly!!  Wish I could figure out how to do it myself  :confused:

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
No WidowEater,

Long before there was a "KME", people have been able to achieve this level of sharpness.

Some can even do it free-hand.  :saywhat:

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I have a permenate bald spot on my left arm from testing knives and broadheads!

A neat tip for touching up a semi sharp blade is to use the top edge of a truck window.  it acts as a fine stone and, if you can sharpen freehand, you can get a great edge with it.  I use mine all the time.

ch

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Challenging Ron!.....Now thats impressive.....I have to get out my reading glasses and a Silver Flame and try that. That takes a steady hand and one scapel razor sharp head!!!!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Ron,

I'm sure you as well as others would agree that the hardest part of sharpening a Grizzly is getting the initial angle correct. Even with starting off on a belt sander and moving to a file this often takes a good 45-60 miinutes for me. Often times I think that it just maybe worth getting those new $30-35 dollar heads that are pre-sharpened. After getting the angle correct the rest is easy.

How long does it take to set the correct angle on the KME with a grizzly and how is it done?

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Bobco,

PM sent.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©