3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Straight Handles and Thick Gloves  (Read 295 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Straight Handles and Thick Gloves
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
All spring, summer and fall I practice with either no glove on my bow hand or a thin Jersey glove with my Hill style Martin long bow.  The handle is deeper than I like but I can shoot it well.  But when the cool temps demand a thicker glove the bow feels like a foreign stick in my hand.  Yesterday morning was my first trip to the deer woods.  The colder weather prompted me to slip on a warmer glove.  As soon as I got into the stand and pulled the bow back I knew this wasn't going to work.  (and it didn't, either!)
I will have to take my rasp to it, eventually, for a better fit.  Does anyone else have this problem with a straight handled longbow?

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Straight Handles and Thick Gloves
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
yup. get a shur grip or similiar rubber slip on grip.

they are elastic and conform to the handle. then put a piece of rubber to mark your thumb position. I use the folded up piece of grip I cut off when I cut it to size.

If you have your thumb in the right position the hand falls naturally in place. Works for me.

Good luck.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
And practicing with the gloves on probly wouldn't hurt any either.  :D  I had the same problem with my recurve this year.

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Maybe try a handwarmer muff and you could possibly get away with a jersey glove?
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©