3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hollow Tree - Yikes  (Read 439 times)

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Hollow Tree - Yikes
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Last year I spent a lot of hours sitting in a particular tree with my Summit climber.  The deer in my avatar was killed from this tree.  This year when I went to check out the spot, the tree was lying on the ground.  It was completely hollow, all the way up, with only about an inch of wood all around it's approximately 12 inch thick trunk.  

Good grief - I sat for hours in that death trap.  It looked perfectly healthy from the outside.  Now I'm chicken to climb another tree!  Is there a way, short of drilling holes in them, to determine if a tree is solid or not?

This is the main reason I'm trying a ghillie suit on the ground this year - I just can't seem to get up my nerve to get in one again after seeing that hollow trunk on the ground.

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hollow Tree - Yikes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Got any pictures of it?
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Did it have the "crown" broken out of it last year?

After cutting down several trees I would never think of getting up a tree with a broken "crown" even if it looked perfect on the ground.

You can also look closely around the roots to see if there's any "holes" between the roots and the ground.  If there's an area that looks like a snake or squirrel could crawl into that tree may look perfect everywhere else but I'll guarantee there's at least SOME length of rotten/absent core.  It may be 2' or 15'.
Micah 6:8

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Knock on wood
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Unless another hurricane (like Ike) sends 70mph winds up our way again, I'd say the hollow trees should be safe enough. Ike blew over alot of big, solid, not-hollow trees all over thep place here in central ohio.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Knock on wood...before you climb!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
cruising ax! many foresters (myself included) have used these to check to see if a tree is hollow or not....especially walnut and black oaks. I always carry a throwing hawk with me to the woods and it works the same. just a few taps and i know if a tree is safe or not.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
Broken Arrow - I'll try and get some pics the next time I'm out.  And pintail_Drake2004, I'll have to check out carrying an axe.  

But for now, I'm having too much fun on the ground in my ghillie.  Maybe that's where I'll stay this year.  I do miss the visibility of being up in the air, though.  

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Look for mushrooms or other fungus growing on or around the tree.  Sure sign of a tree in decline.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©