3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow weight/how much is to much?  (Read 783 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow weight/how much is to much?
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
was just playing around with some axis 340 st's. cut to 28.25". With 100gr brass insert and 300 grain tips the things are bare shafting real sweet out of my DAS, 50lbs at my 27" draw. Talk about quiet, I mean the only noise you here is the arrow hitting the target.

I've been thinking about
( well, dreaming actually) about doing some hog hunting someday..these arrows are coming in at just under 14gr. per lbs of draw, and are only a couple inches low at 19yrds, compared to what I'm used to...but is it overkill?

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow weight/how much is to much?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
In the end, dead is dead, but I like a little flatter trajectory when reaching out.  The brain likes what it likes and can be taught anything with a little practice.

I think there is a point where all the math, etc... reaches a point of dimishing returns for weight, KE, momentum, blah, blah, but in the hunting game, especially if you are keeping stuff in a 20yd range, it doesn't matter.

Try to dump one at 30 or 40 and you'll be gritting your teeth...think 'hold high'...like basketball from half court high  ;)

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Sounds just about right for my thinking. Not a 3D shaft but definately a hunter.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Some people may disagree; but 13-14gpp is my typical hunting set up. I don't notice much arc or drop out to 25 yards-maybe I'm just used to it. For 3D I use 10gpp.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
i am shooting woodies at over 700 gr and see no diference now at up to 30 yds .was at two indoor 3d'sin last month and with not practicing haveing a hard time keeping them low enough at 20 yds LOL -- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
If you can hit what you want on demand there is no such thing as too heavy.If you start seeing a lot of highs and lows in your shooting at typical ranges you might look to lightening the load a bit.  :)  jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Have a friend doubled lunged a hog 180 lbs.  46 lbs at 28 with a 350 gr arrow.  When we last talked he was tring to get the weight of the arrow down not up.  The bow was that metal risered Hoyt.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
Too heavy is when dropping one on a foot breaks a couple toes, otherwise shoot what works for you. A lot to be said for momentum when hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©