3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GENE & BARRY GIVE US THE LOWDOWN!  (Read 3235 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
GENE & BARRY GIVE US THE LOWDOWN!
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Come on guys.  Have not seen you on here in awhile.  How's the season going in Iowa so far?  Let us hear it!

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: GENE & BARRY GIVE US THE LOWDOWN!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
TTT

I'd like to hear too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
We got behind in moving and/or hanging some stands. Barry went to Idaho and I went to Florida. Actually we just turned ourselves loose on the whitetails a week or so ago. Its been a slow start. We had lots of rain, mud, heavy fog, bad moon, high winds, warm temps, etc. Not much moving well. Many crops still standing. Akerns are thinning out and deer are eating a lot of freshly blown off green leaves that they dearly love about now. Minimal frost so far. Less color in the woods without frosts. Things should pick up considerably within a week. We are getting some great trail camera pix. Stay tuned.

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Hi gene would like to know if another primal dreams dvd is in the works, the best DVD expressing the hunters true veiws on nature and the aspects of the hunt

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
Thanks Gene.  Make sure you guys post a pic when you get the big one your after.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
As Gene mentioned above, we've been gone a lot. In fact, I tried answering this post last night. When I sent it my computer said I'd already gone over the limit in a 24 hr. period or something. I tried getting around it and everything crashed. Seems okay now. I'm a little embarrassed letting you guys know how much I hunt. Looking at my notes, since Oct. 1st. I've bowhunted three counties in Iowa and spent 83 hours already in a treestand. I've seen a total of 63 bucks, 252 does and another 37 I was unsure of. I've seeen a couple nice bucks but no monsters yet. Nothing I'd consider shooting. We had a front move in last night with predicted heavy rains and winds over the next couple days. That'll open up the canopy and increase visability a lot in the next week. The rutting "waters" are just starting to bubble/boil. Be patient. Two weeks from now we'll all have smiles on our faces. Best of luck to all. BW

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Oh.. forgot Huntingwolf (above). Yes. Gene and I and all three of the Mitten brothers are packing cameras. We've already taped enough great footage since Primal Dreams to bring out another DVD, but decided to film this season for even more options to work with. Not to tease you guys but we already have some absolutely outstanding footage accumulated. We're really excited about it. We'll hopefully start editing this spring. If you guys have any opinions on what you'd like to see changed we'd gladly take your thoughts into consideration. Thanks to all. BW

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Ok then Keosaugua it will be in what was it two weeks?  Ok, I will be there!

Actually I WILL be there in 10 days!  (My buddy has many hundreds of acres on BOTH side of the IA/MO border!)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
When I grow up I want a job like Gene and Barry have. exactly what is it they do???..PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
They're retired, so they hunt!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
besides kill big deer, i hear Gene is the PR manager for barack hussein obama and Barry pens a monthy column for the oprha whinfrey book club called "random acts of kindness"...just hear say though. seriously, these dudes are my heros and i dont kiss anybodys a$$. i grew up watching october whitetails...daily

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
On the note pete was speaking can a netflix member please go to the reviews of october whitetails and tell those morons recurve bows are no more "outdated" than a fly rod.

Some Einsteins gave it bad reviews because of equipment.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
Glad Gene learned how to say "akern" correctly !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
The only suggestion that I have for the new primal dreams video is show some more hunting footage.  I love to watch you guys shooting your bows at big whitetails, bucks or does it doesnt matter just a few more hunting scenes would be great.

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Thanks Barry can't wait to purchase it the last one was fantastic whole family enjoyed it even those that do not hunt

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Gene/Barry, I think the next Primal Dreams would be really great if it included more hunting footage of the "average Joe", you know, overweight, balding, and not quite handsome fellows, oh wait a minute, you two are in it. Dang, I was gonna volunteer for the part!  :)

Good luck and I anxiously await the pictures and stories from this year's hunts!

Offline james r woods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Ifen it aint a akern then what is it called?

Offline james r woods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
:rolleyes:

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
83 hours in a stand-- 300+ deer seen already.... Living the life up in Iowa!!!  

I've been in a lot of hunting camps with "seasoned" bowhunters... It's always the same.
What are you doing after this hunt, I ask? "I'm going fishing in FL or out west to chase mule deer or down to Texas to hunt Javelina" ect. ect. ect...

Then they ask me. My answer is always the same as well.. "Me, I'm going back to work".... LOL

Good luck up there.. Let us know when the big one is down.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Barry, and Gene says the hunting has been slow?  Have you been peeing around his treestands?  63 bucks?  I don't believe I have ever had a deer season where I have even seen 63 deer period! Which one of you two wants to be the first to adopt me?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©