3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GENE & BARRY GIVE US THE LOWDOWN!  (Read 3238 times)

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GENE & BARRY GIVE US THE LOWDOWN!
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
come on Gene, let me know the secret. I've got six arrows in the fletcher, ready to do the other end if that's what it takes!
mike

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I just got home again last night. A lot has happened in the last couple weeks. My computer says I have sent out my "limit" of emails in a 24 hr. period since I've been trying to catch up. I'll try this to see if this'll go through. Stay tuned. BW

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
all right!!!! can't wait bud    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Come on Barry, give us the goods!

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
All right. It went through. As Jon Simoneau said, seeing/hearing tales of success gives a guy inspiration to stay out there and make it happen. I guess it works as street talk is Jon got a nice buck last week too. I still don't know how to post pictures so someone smarter than myself may be able to post some later. I guess you all saw Gene's buck earlier in this thread. He shot it in a great pinch-point stand. I let the area cool for a week and went into the same stand the afternoon of Nov. 16th. 3:45 PM here he comes, all alone cruising for does. I was shooting one of Paul Schafer's personal bows that I inherited. I wrote about the bow in the last issue of PBS magazine. The bow has quite a history, which I won't get into right now, but it's a 60 inch takedown. Since I'm "vertically challenged" I have to be careful with the lower limb clearing the side rails on some of our ladder stands. The main trail/pinch is fifteen yards and my limb cleared fine. The problem was  the buck came by at a whopping 13 yds. and I had to drop my bow arm a couple inches in the heat of the battle. Yep.. the lower limb hooked under the rail and I blew an absolute sucker shot at a good one. He was a basic 6x6 with bilateral forked G2s and bladed tines. He looked like one of those big Canadian bucks. You guys will all get to see it someday too as I got it all on film. Anyway, no excuses... stuff happens. The next morning (11/17) I watched a limping 4x4 come across a pasture from 800 yds. away to ultimately walk right under my tree. He got about 15 yds. behind me and out of nowhere came the one I've been after. I named this one Popeye because he appears blind in his one eye. I assume he took a tine over a doe with a pretty face. He's a big 5x5 with a neck as big as Biggie Hoffman's stomach... well.. almost. Anyway, he's 15 yds. coming right down the tubes. When he clears the branches he'll be about 8 yds. Just before he steps out he sees the limper with his good eye and turns to chase him away. Bye-bye Popeye. On the morning of Nov. 24th I had a doe and a button buck walk by at 7:33 AM. Just before they hit my scent stream, over the hill came a nice 5x5 cruising for action. He came by at 18 yds. and I shot him while his neck was stretched out lip curling the doe. He wasn't Popeye (the one on my most wanted list) but like Gene said, he was too good to pass up. I took out his heart with Schaf's old bow. This one therefore means a lot to me. Unfortuneately, with the doe and button right there I wasn't able to even turn the camera on with everything happening so quick. Sorry folks.. the hunting is primary and filming secondary. More good news though, Mark Mitten got a 147" 4x4 a couple weeks ago... and this morning in a snow storm filled his second tag on a beauty. It's only a 5x4 but the G2s are over 15 inches. He'll gross 174" and net 167" as a 4x4. Anyway, I just wanted to keep everyone updated and wish all continued luck in hot pursuit.  BW

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Your bro just sent me the pix...that a great buck Barry...and  with a special bow to boot... just AWESOME!!!!   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I guess that means you would like a hand putting pics here...but there is no way I will claim to be smarter than you   :D  

I hope you can put Popeye out of his misery before Friday!

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Gene and Barry, those are a couple of toads!!!!!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
congrats on a beautiful deer!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Makes you wonder how big "Popeye" is don't it! Very nice bucks guys.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Popeye is VERY cool:

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Oh yes, Popeye is definatley cool!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
All right.. thanks Steve-O. See.. I told you Popeye's neck was almost as large as Biggies stomach. Actually when I took that top photo he was standing about 25 yds. from me. But I was walking down a gravel road. He had a pretty little doe between he and I. Shooting him from the roadway didn't feel right so I watched him walk away. I circled around in front of him to try to cut him off though. Another smaller 4x4 came through but Popeye and Olive Oil didn't show. BW

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Uncle B, I can't believe you'd even think about shooting some poor, helpless old blind buck like this popeye character   :rolleyes:
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
As long as you set up on the right (as in right not left) side of the trail you shouldn't have a problem drawing undetected on that guy.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Great job!

:thumbsup:

Offline huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
That's a good lookin buck Barry, Great way to honor Paul.

Tony

Offline eaglefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Dont let popeye get to the spinach patch you might have a fight on your hands!Greatstuff guys,been slow down here in v.a. also.  :notworthy:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Too good to pass up is an understatment!  Beautiful deer Barry!  What a great year in Iowa!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
I got word Mark Mitten says it is OK for his buck to go in here, so here you go fellas:

The Brothers of the Bow do things the right way and work very, very hard for thier successes.  I for one am very, very grateful they share some of their knowledge along with some of their hunts with these pictures, dvds, books, and magazine articles.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©