3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever make a 1piece into 2pc TD?  (Read 367 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever make a 1piece into 2pc TD?
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
i have an old solid glass bow like we all had as kids that i'd like to make into a 2 pc. T/D. anyone have any ideas on the best way to make the connection. the handle section is more or less a rectangle with rounded corners.

thanks for your help!
charlie

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever make a 1piece into 2pc TD?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Hi Charlie 3 rivers archery one of the sponsors here on TG sells a take down sleeve should work for what you are looking for.bowdoc

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Charlie,
I would go to the auto parts store and buy a package of fiberglass cloth and some two ton epoxy from the hardware store.  Make the cut and then wax the end that you want to remove, then apply a layer of epoxy followed by the fiberglass cloth until the handle is built up to your liking.  There was an article in primitive archer that detailed the procedure, I have made a takedown BBO and it works well.  Good luck.
Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I would never try and rhetro fit a sleeve.  You would never get it remotely straight.

The fibergalss method CODY talked about would be bad if the riser is already thick as it will require numerous wraps to make strong enuf and that will make it thick.

I have rhetro fitted numerous Robertson Connexion latches but you may have trouble findng one right now as the guy that makes them is way behind and the Roberstons are out.  If you find one get titanium screws as I have twisted heads off of too many junk Chinese SS screws.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the sleeve from 3rivers(35.99).There are several bow builders such as Jay StCharles at Pacific Yew and Ted Fry at Raptor Archery that sell sepertly and install these sleeves on bows.Good luck with the project and keep us posted how it's going.bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Here's another type to give you some ideas.this one I beleave you must also purchase the tool to install it...bowdoc

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Steve H did one of my 21st Century Novas with the Robertson hinge. Worked like a charm! But he knows what he's doing, being a retarded bowyer hissself.

I mean retired!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
I've retrofitted a sleeve on a longbow and it worked OK.  I wasn't able to get them to align quite right, but it shoots pretty good.  I like the sleeve takedowns, but they are a pain.  I am intrigued with the fiberglass/epoxy wrap.  You'd still need to build a jig, but it's worth a try.

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
The method that the gentleman used in the PA mag is the same system that Black Widow adopted as their takedown.  If you can find that issue it details the process and you do not need anyjigs to get perfect alignment.  I can look at home tonight and see if I can find the issue.
Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Primitive Archer vol. 6 Issue 4 Oct. 98...written by Brian Rose

Offline Many Arrows Lost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
The point was made earlier that it is very difficult to get straight.  This is true.  If you choose one of the sleeve methods, be sure and make a jig with various clamping points that fit the bow in its original shape that will hold it solidly until the epoxy cures.  This is very difficult if not impossible to accomplish after the bow is cut, but works well when done properly in advance.

Good Luck!

ken
Athens, Illinois

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
The glass cloth is really easy to do.You just remove enough material from the handle if you don't want it too fat.With a solid glass bow it would be no problem removing it and it still being plenty strong.I have used the hinge and like it too but you can do a dozen bows with glass for the cost of one hinge. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
thanks guys! charlie

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Hey Charlie unless your bow has so special meaning...there is a two peace Ben Pearson 302 take down up for auction.Those are solid glass outsides.The bow will probley sell for somewhere under 50.00 which may be cheaper deal for you..not sure.But you may want to check it out also as they have a fiberglass conection system.You may want to just look at the fiberglass sleeve conection system......bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©