3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharp and Pointy objects  (Read 360 times)

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharp and Pointy objects
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
My sister was making fun of how many bladed objects I have attached to myself and gear when I go hunting. Just out of sheer curiosity, how many blades (not including broadheads) do you usually have on your person for a typical hunt?
I have a Kabar locking blade, (with me all the time, not just hunting.)An Ontario air force blade/ newer synthetic handle sheath knife, A Gerber sheath knife, And my Shrew Hawk.
Not nearly enough knives now that I look at it - I'll have to go throw a few extras in my Cat Quiver I guess.   :D

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharp and Pointy objects
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Buck for gutting
Bone saw
depending on how deep in the woods i go, processing kit
so a possible total of 7.
usually less though
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Bone saw?  There is not a joint on any North Amerian game animal that cannot be seperated with a knife.. I carry only a good sharp folding knife and my back-up PUKA knife..
Damn Nice guy

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
zilla I agree, but after years of trying I have never been able to "split" the breastbone on a whitetail. LOL- I have lifted the deer off the ground trying and cannot get that done.... I bought a bone saw.. Works like butter.

I carry a folding Browning drop point knife for all skinning, field dressing ect. One knife with a gut hook (that I've never used) and a small blade for detail plus the bone saw.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
I like bone saws for breaking them down myself and removal of anus before hanging them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by JDS3:
zilla I agree, but after years of trying I have never been able to "split" the breastbone on a whitetail. LOL- I have lifted the deer off the ground trying and cannot get that done.... I bought a bone saw.. Works like butter.

I carry a folding Browning drop point knife for all skinning, field dressing ect. One knife with a gut hook (that I've never used) and a small blade for detail plus the bone saw.

JDS III
My butcher friend showed me the ropes.. I can now open up an elk rib cage with only a folding knife..  I do not split the pelvis either but rather core it out like an apple..  You can split the pelvis with a kniffe if you can find the joint.  Coring is easier..
Damn Nice guy

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I carry two in my pack, and have two more and a bone saw in my Jeep with the rest of my skinning stuff.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Depends on whether I'm "camping" and hunting or just hunting.

Just hunting:

Spyderco Bill Moran Featherweight  (Worth twice its price...highly recommend!!!)
&
Whatever pocketknife I happen to have been carrying earlier. (Force of habit)

Camping and hunting?
Add heavy D2 skinner/utility  and either a Buck Special 119 or KaBar-mini.

Hatchet gets taken to camp but I never carry it.

Actually, the last time I camped I had my MS460 chainsaw in the truck...that's like 80 sharp and point objects right there!!! lol  (Do I win anything?   :D   )
Micah 6:8

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
I have a sheath knife on my belt, another in my pack and a patch(neck) knife attached to my quiver strap. My safety harness has a patch knife attached to it also...just in case! I also carry hand pruners and a folding saw in my pack.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
I carry a sticshooter neck knife and my antler handled bowie always, feel naked without them.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Allways carried a saw the way to go for a clean Gutting job I use it on the Brisket and pelvis no spilled bladders for me takes 1/2 hr to gut and skin my deer if i take my time have done it quicker but not as clean as for a Knife any small blade will do as lond as its sharp !
Gord

Offline Rogue Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I carry an Alaskan Blade Trader in my pack and I also carry a scalpel handle with about 7 or 8 extra blades. The scalpel weighs next to nothing.
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct.    Aldo Leupold

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
Let's see there is the lockblack fold I carry in my pocket. A Swiss Army Farmer model on my keychain. A 3 &1/2" blade Frosts Mora is on my quiver. My 9" blade Cardinal Camp Knife is on my belt. There's a cold Steel Large Twist Lock folder in my pack. I have a Helle neck knife. Oh and a Leatherman Wave multitoolis also on my belt. So 7 in all not counting a Marbles Safety Axe, a Parang Machete, a folding saw and a pocket Chain saw. :bigsmyl:
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:32:00 AM »
I just carry a sharp knife and a surgical scalpel with replaceable blades, there real sharp and cutt game like notin else.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:03:00 AM »
I generally only carry 2 knives on my person when hunting - a Victorinox Hunter(which I carry almost always, even when not hunting) and my Robtattoo hunting sheath knife.
I sometimes carry a folding Buck knife wih a gut hook, but not very often.
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
Victorinox Hunter
and
Robtattoo hunting sheath knife.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline trapperzeke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
If bowhunting, I only have 1 Schrade.  If I'm not that far in, I leave it in the truck.  I stopped carrying pocketknives after losing my umpteenth one many years ago.  Now, when I break out the 18th century reenactment gear, I may have a skinner, scalper, hunting "sword", penny-knife, and a hawk or belt axe on me.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
JDSIII,
A butcher friend also showed me how to take care of my blade when splitting the brisket..... instead of trying to cut the bone in the center, just go over to either side where the cartilage connects the ribs to the sternum and walla ! Will not dull your knife and them rbs just pop right away from the sternum. It is about 1" off to either side, just keep pushing and wiggling your knife and it will find the cartilage.

As for the other end I do like others have said and core like a apple if I do not have my gerber saw with me. I love my $20 gerber saw with the wood and bone blade. Keep it in my Summit Viper Pouch for trimming limbs off new trees I have never climbed and it has the extra bone blade in the sheath when and if I ever kill a deer. Best $20 you will ever spend if you have a climbing stand. I have , " lost " , several to friends I hunt with once I gave them a extra to try one time, haha !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

1) small hatchet for making brush blinds and splitting ribcages and such.

2)4 inch blade for membranes and freeing innards.

3) 1 inch blade with a dull point like an old timer pocket knife for opening gut cavity. You can keep your finger at the tip.

But for coring the anus and so forth I use a broadhead. Keeps the other blades clean.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
At least 2 knives and a Gerber collapsible saw.Sometimes I even carry a pruner.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©