3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TreeSaddle vs Guido's Web vs Summit Viper  (Read 304 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TreeSaddle vs Guido's Web vs Summit Viper
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Just wanted to post my opinion here on the plus and minus of each of these systems. Again, JMHO after hunting out of all three. I have hunted out of a Summit Viper for years and dearly love it. However, I have to hunt public land and the carry in for the Viper was starting to wear on me so I was looking for something different....

A good friend let me borrow his treesaddle and after hunting in it here is what I like and dislike...

1) Very light and easy to put on.

2) Absolutley love the shooting posistions you can get in. Easiest shot there is is directly behind you right close to the tree, just turn around and pivot.

3) Hate the tether hookup to the tree ! Hate trying to tie the tight tight enough to keep it in place. Just cannot seem to make it stay up on the tree high enough and well enough once you put your weight on it always seems to wind up too low. My arms run out of blood trying to tie it good enough.

4) Do not like the way the saddle conforms, or should I say bites into your sides, even this afternoon hunting out of a t shirt. Can only imagine how cramped you would feel with a heavy coat on. It seems to dig in about halfway up your ribcage. Reminds me of my brothers complaints about climbing small trees with his Ol Man climber before they put the spreader bars on them to keep it from pinching in on the hunter. My shirt kept riding up too.

5) Have to wear knee pads, just something else to take to the woods and try to keep up with. You would be in real trouble without them. You are constantly being forced into the tree.

6) Just could not stay still for more than a few minutes while trying to stay in the seated position, cannot lean back, have to sorta hug the tree with your arms or put them up on the tether belt which is not that comfy. Also felt like I was constantly fighting off a, " wedgie " !!!

My brother bought a Guido's Web a few weeks back and I hunted out of it first. In my humble opinion the Guido's Web is far superior to the TreeSaddle. I feel the only thing the Web gives up to the TreeSaddle is true 360 degree shooting, as well as being able to shoot almost straight down out of the TreeSaddle. I know that is a iffy shot, most likely a one lunger and may not get a pass thru, however some take that shot. Here are my likes and dislikes of Guido's Web.

1) Easy to carry since it is a backpack. Fast to deploy once you reach your tree.

2) LOVE the tree tether, once you reach your hunting height you simply yank the tag end of the tether tight to the tree, NO KNOT to fight !

3) Much more comfy, truly feels like you are sitting in a chair handing from a rope. The webbing does not pinch in on you, it is several inches wider than you are.

4) The metal V bar standoff is DA BOMB ! This is what really makes the web so comfy. You do not feel you are constantly fighting to stay off the tree. I was in it for 4 hrs and did not want to get down, but it was dark !

5) The full backrest with adjustable angle is awesome. You can change positions with a simple push / pull adjustment right at your side. I was laid completely back like I was in a recliner for a while, then I would cinch it up tight where I was sitting straight up.

6) Guido's Web is self contained, no extras like knee pads needed. The large game bag on the back holds my woodpecker drill and 18 bolts for climbing, no problem. Easy to access my bolts as I ascend the tree, drilling my holes as I go up.

With all this being said, I do think both make a quality product, just different. That is why we have chocolate, vanilla, and 37 other flavors, right ! I will still take my Summit Viper hands down if the walk is not too far, but if it is over 3/4 mile it will be Guidos Web for me ! With the woodpecker drill and bolt system it is even easier the second time you hunt the tree. No holes to drill, just slip your bolts in as you go up and take them out when you leave.

I hope this helps others that have been thinking about these systems. I know I had lots of questions before I was able to try both. Love tradgang and all the good advice and folks on here !
  :archer:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TreeSaddle vs Guido's Web vs Summit Viper
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Jimmy,

Thanks for the comparison. It was very helpful.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Good stuff-how does guido's compare to the saddle in terms of weight and bulk?
BD

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I have never used a tree step, but I would be afraid of them pulling out of the tree after being put in and out a few times. Hap

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
BD, the Web is probably about 2 pounds heavier than the TreeSaddle, both are less than 5 pounds. You do not even really know the TreeSaddle is on you since you wear it like a pair of suspenders with a butt in them. The Web is basically like wearing a 5 pound backpack since that is how you wear it.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the Web is that you can put your coat in between the backpack as you walk in so you stay cool and comfy.

Hap, I drill my bolt holes with my woodpecker on about a 10 degree angle so that will not happen. I am not saying it couldn't happen, but the bolts fit the hole awful tight. I even drill 4 holes at the top of my tree for my foot platform to walk around on and so far the bolts do not seem to be a problem. As a matter of fact I like walking around on the bolts better than screw in steps. The screw in steps tend to turn a little on you if you do not have them screwed all the way in very tight against the tree. The reason is with this system you are applying foot pressure at a angle to the step , rather than straight down on the step if you were simply climbing a tree, which is what they are really for.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Jimmy, dad and I didn't know you knew that many BIG words....Great Job!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Well Sky, after all, I did make it thru the 4th grade, haha !!!  :goldtooth:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
Well Sky, after all, I did make it thru the 4th grade, haha !!!   :goldtooth:  

nocams
Yeah, but that was a TN school  :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Guidos web will weigh 10 lbs with the tether belt in the backpack portion.  I own one and have weighed it.  I love mine also, I haven't hung a stand this year, just put the steps in place and climb up and hook up.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Jimmy,  I checked out Nathan's Guido at the banquet and I was impressed.  Looks like once you got the hang of that it could be deadly!  

Ethan

Offline ClayCoArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Hey NoCams....Question for ya....

What is a woodpecker drill and what kind of bolts do you use for climbing???
The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of the deer, he enables me to go on the heights...On my stringed instruments-Habakkuk 3:19

Offline ClayCoArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
One more......

How well does Guido's Web work for ya in the dead of winter when you are wearing bulky clothes?
The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of the deer, he enables me to go on the heights...On my stringed instruments-Habakkuk 3:19

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
This is my first season with the tree saddle and the more I use it, the less I like it. It requires excessive movement IMO to position your body for a shot to the front or right of the tree. It is also not very comfortable. Thinking of selling (it is size L).
BD

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
I'd like to try one of the light weight Ambush Saddles. I have the deluxe leather model and love it. I just killed another buck from mine last Wednesday. I don't quite know what it is, but I seem to shoot more accurately from the saddle as compared to a platform stand. I use the Woodpecker Drill and 3/8" Grade 8 bolts too.

BD, what model saddle do you have?
N/A

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Woodpecker drill is a hand drill sold on the Simmons Sharks website. It is very cool tool for sure. Can drill a hole in less than a minute quietly ! Folds up and goes in a pocket or back of your Guido's Web or treesaddle saddle bag. Always handy as you are climbing.

Yes, MUST use GRADE 8 bolts, don't go cheap and buy Grade 5 or worse yet some chinese junk. They will bend / break on you. Tried to tell my brother and he bought grade 5's and they are already bent. He is headed to ACE Hardware now to buy 8" x 3/8" GRADE 8. I know they cost, but you only need 16-18 bolts depending on how high you climb and you only buy them once.

Also ClaycoArcher, see my original post about how bad the TreeSaddle seemed to pinch in on me even in a T shirt compared to the Guido's Web. The Web is more like sitting in a chair hanging from a rope and the webbing is out past your sides and wider than you are. I think late season with more clothes on the Web would shine even more over the TreeSaddle. I was able to slip a sweatshirt on over my T shirt while in the web. Bet that would be pretty hard in a TreeSaddle. Seems like it would be hard to get your coat crammed down in between you and the saddle far enough that your coat is not up on your back.

foxbo, I know why you shoot more accurately from the TreeSaddle..... It keeps your upper body in that perfect, " T " form that is so important. Most people, ( me especially !@#$!!! ), tend to shoot high out of a platform due to not properly bending at the waist. We take the easy route and drop our bow shoulder out of line and that will cause you to shoot high EVERY time !!! I still say that I sure do like shooting out of the TreeSaddle the best, it just has to many other disadvantages though compared to Guido's Web.

One more thing on the bolts..... Use some old air 3/8" air hose slipped over them except for the 2-3" that goes in the tree to keep them quiet in your Guido's game bag. That way they make no noise as you are walking and as you pull them out of your back while climbing the tree. I will probably go get me a gallon of plastic dip or heat shrink tubing later on so I can cover the whole bolt from the head down to the last 2" that goes in the tree. Anyone know where to get that plastic dip ? It is used to dip the handles of tools like crescent wrenches in. Makes them more comfortable in your hand.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
I use the Woodpecker drill and bolts also. Just got some prices for 6" x 3/8" grade 8 bolts at a local Fastenal dealer - $2.00 each. That's the best I've seen lately. This system works great on all hardwoods...For pines I use my Rapid Rails and Lone Wolf Climing sticks. I put heat-srink or electrical tape on all my bolts for a more sure grip and slience.

I have been using the Treesaddle for the last three season with great success. In my hope to find something a little more comfortable, I have a Vulture sling seat that should be here tomorrow.

I also plan to give the Guido's Web that a friend has for sell a try. Will give an opinion on all three after I get back from my annual hunting trip to Indiana next week.
Keith Karr

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I have the ambush sling, but have heard good things about the vulture and just tried calling them to get more info. Has anyone tried the sneaky sak?
BD

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
BD,  The contact # for Ken Lewis, who makes the Vulture is 715-325-4160. Not sure how is compares to the Treesaddle yet...looking for mine to get here tomorrow.

I had a Sneak Sak and did not like the way it worked. Some guys like them...everything has it's pro's and con's.
Keith Karr

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Get alhold of joebuck about the web.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I have used the treesaddle for three seasons with good success. The only reason for trying somthing else was the comfort factor. The Vulture works fine and allows you to shoot 360 degrees. It's more comfortable but also a little more complicated to get used to. It seems to be a quality made product, but is not as heavy duty as the TreeSaddle or the Guido's web (they are really made of heavier guage strapping and cost about $100 more. The best thing it has going is the bar that keeps your knees of the tree. The saddle doesn't. I does not come with a DVD only a little instruction booklet.
I have yet to give the Guido's web a good try yet, but I can already tell it will win in the comfort test. It's may be more difficult to shoot 360 out of. Only time will tell.

They all have their pros and cons.
Keith Karr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©