3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: blood trailing dog  (Read 983 times)

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
blood trailing dog
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Anybody know of a breeder in the OH or MI area?  I'm looking for a smaller dog that has the genetics to track, sniff blood trails, maybe a cur or some other breed that has the ability.  Not wanting a hound, the noise wouldn't be worth it!  It's time to take the stress out of tracking!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: blood trailing dog
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
You may want to look for a Jagd Terrier.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Here in Ny there is actually a dog tracking service. They use wire-haired datchsunds. Amazing little dogs.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
I did see the wire haired dachshund breed for tracking..really cool!  However, they're hard to get and expensive...I really don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars.  At the end of the day I'm confidant I could train a lab to do it, just wanted a smaller dog.  Years ago I went on hog hunt with Jeff Massie, he had a great little cur for tracking...and even she was a little big for the job and could pull me through the cactus!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Wired hair dachsunds are unbelievable trackers. Expensive yes. Especially if trained. A friend has a beagle that also does a great job. Less expensive than a dachsund for sure. As I get older the more I think a good tracking dog would be worth its weight in gold.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
Ben I am in the same situation as you. I would love to get one of those little Dash's but distance and price make it difficult. Let me know what you come up with.

Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
My jagdterrier weighs 14 pounds but is small for the breed. I think most of them weigh 18 or more pounds. This breed needs lots of exercise as they are crazy about hunting. They get along good with other dogs too. This is the first one I have ever owned and can say nothing but good about the breed. I don't think you will be able to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder for $200 though. Most ask $400 or more.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Battle_shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Let me second the Jagd. I had one and he was naturally amazing at blood trailing. Tough too with lots of spirit. Maybe more spirit than sense. lol  Mine once jumped on and absolutely trounced a full grown dobie!

However let me also say that "needs a lot of excersise might not totally cover it. Maybe mine was exeptional, but he was like a jack russell that had gotten into a meth lab.

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
I wouldn't want a complete live wire for a dog, he'll be a companion dog as well.  I'm really thinking a mountain cur might be the right compromise

I know that getting the right dog is sometimes just dumb luck...there are plenty of muts out there that have a predisposition for tracking, I just don't want the hassle of trying out 7 or 8 dogs to find the one I want.  Heck, we have one guy in our trad club that use his house cat to track.

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Bill, I agree! worth their wight in gold...my brother (compound shooter) didn't recover a nice deer last week...found it the next week, a good dog would have had him found no problem and relieved much stress from us all!  I have found that kids work well also, they see things I just don't pick up, they are shorter and eyes are better.

Offline Holepuncher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Wired haired Dachshunds are the tops for tracking. Check out "born-to-track.com"; excellent site and the book he has for sale is great for starting a dog.My wire haired tracked her first dead deer at 6 months of age and it was a 20 hour old track.They tend to be layed back even at a young age.and yes they are very expensive. especially one Johns dogs.
Good stuff ain't cheap, and cheap stuff ain't good!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I'm sure that some dogs are better than others, but I love german shephers for pets(great protection for my wife, very loyal and incredibly smart).  My previous german shepherd had no formal training but was a wild man for tracking and never failed.  He had to be put down a couple of years ago and my wife had some trianing done with our current german shepherd.  He is certified search and rescue, but really doens't get too thrilled about finding people.  Put him on a blood trail and he never fails.  Just an option if you really don't want a smaller dog.  If it is legal in your state it can really make your life easier for those late evening shots.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
My brothers Jack Russel tracked a bloodtrail and located a deer the first time put on a trail. Neat little dog and good companion. My daughter has a wire-haired dash and it is about 12 weeks old and tracked her bow kill last week. When it would loose the scent it would travel down wind until it picked it up again and then get back on the track. Pretty amazing for a pup I think.
What is a Jagd Terrier?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Ok, now why are Wire Haired Daschunds better trackers than a regular Daschund?

I found this number for a Wire Haired Daschund breeder in Ohio, BTW      :937-864-0565
Damn Nice guy

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
I also have a jagdterrier, if I do ever get an arrow in a deer, she'll get some practice.  I've never seen a dog with so much drive and desire to hunt.  She is worth her weight in arrows, anytime I miss a target she finds them.  I havn't lost an arrow yet.  They will hunt gamebirds, sheds, mushrooms, you name they will find it with a little training.  Great with people, but will kill anything, they have a lot of "fight" in them.  Mine must be supervised with other dogs, she is always BOSS.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Fred is in his second season and doing really well. He just turned two. I would highly recommend John Jeanneney's excellent book "Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer" for anyone wanting to train a dog. It's a great read for the bowhunter too, even if you don't have the desire to own a dog. The deer physiology and explanations of different shot angles, etc. are worth the price!   CKruse

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
Another 2008 find, with some assistance from his big sister! CKruse

"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Loaded up and ready to rock during our visit to Illinois! CKruse

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I'd find some local coonhunters (ya ought to have a few up in michigan)

Tell what you're looking for.  You just may find a "closed-mouth" dog or a "trashy" dog for free.

If it's a closed-mouth hound it doesn't do the hunter much good and your issue of the endless howling doesn't arise.

If it's "trashy" it means it runs "trash" (Anything other than a raccon.)  If it's a cur or plott you may have a free dog that's a natural.  

(As absolutely horrible as this is...you may have to try a few "free" dogs to find one that works.  I don't know how you feel on the subject but whether it's to the pound or to shade tree you gave it a second lease on life and it's end is no worse than it would have been.  Coonhunters, as group, are pretty old-schooled and don't really get teary-eyed when "that dog won't hunt.")
Micah 6:8

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Cameron,

Beautiful dog...glad she is doing so well for ya.

Look like he loves the ATV rides   :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©