3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice for new to me Ben Pearson  (Read 280 times)

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice for new to me Ben Pearson
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
OK, as my name says I am new to this. I picked up a Ben Pearson KM Special in late spring. Hand written it says 58" AMO 50# @ 28", but above the shelf it has 52# (behind the skin). I draw right at 28# and I measured it and it is closer to 54#. The person I bought it from said he bought it new and lost interest and it has been in a closet for over 20 years. The limbs are straight and after getting a new string and some arrows I shot all summer, but I think I need a different arrow set up. The guy I got the string from set me up with some carbons (full length) and 100 grain field tips, of course I left all the info on them at home. I can shoot a pretty good group at 10 yards, but then I get all over the place at 20, I don't want to telll you what I do after that! ;)Besides a lot more practice what can you suggest for an arrow set up. Once I get confident I plan to use it for deer and elk hunting, as well as any other small game I can get after.  I love the look of wood but need the durability of carbons for now.  
By the way, the finish was in prety bad shape, so with a lot of tips from past threads I have started to refinish her as well, the first coat went on last night.
Any suggestions and insight is apprieciated.
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice for new to me Ben Pearson
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Matt- the reason you didn't get any responce is lack of info. on your part. You are looking for arrow suggestions, but we can't without knowing what your shooting. Are you shooting off the shelf, or is it an elevated rest? (The shelf is the wood shelf of the bow itself, an elevated rest is usually about 1/2" above the shelf, a small plastic or metal rest for the arrow to sit on. Are you canting the bow, or shooting with it streght up? You will want to shoot the field tips the same weight as the broadhead you will use.( Usually 125 grains.) Carbon arrows have a bigger spread of weight per bow, but you still need to be within there threshold. No need to worry about the 2# difference in the markings, many makers listed the even bow weight, when the actual weight was an un-even number. Post again when you have the arrow info. someone will help! Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline oscarh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
I have a Pearson Javalina recurve,,66"  55# @28" and it HATES carbon shafts,I tried aluminum,carbon and wood,different tip weights,,all kinds of different setups,,I let my bow choose the arrow it likes best,carbon shafts were very "noisy"and not accurate.I ended up with CHUNDOO shafts,spined at 55 - 60 lbs 145 gr tips and 4" fletchings.If you insist on carbon,you might try changing to a heavier tip, make sure the shafts are straight,and the fletches are secured. Check your brace height,and knocking point. all of these will make your accuracy very at longer yardages.My bow is whisper quiet,and shoots a bullet hole in paper at 20 yrds,now I have to work on ME.Hope some of this info helps.  KEN
I don't suffer from INSANITY ,I ENJOY every minute of it !!!

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks Biff and oscarh, I am taking your advice and reposting.
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©