3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Huge Hogs, taste ok?  (Read 890 times)

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
Huge Hogs, taste ok?
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
All Dave's ginormous (yes that's a word shut up)hog pictures got me thinking.  Those big boys taste any good?  Anything to do to make em taste better?  Just curious as I'm just beginning to grow some contacts in No. Cal for pig hunting and curious minds wanna know.

Thanks ahead of time,    :archer:  

B
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Huge Hogs, taste ok?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Usually the big ones don't really taste as good as a little ones. But thats what I have heard. I've only killed one big one and ate it. It's ok. I hunt smaller ones now, 50-100 pounds. Great meat.

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
have have heard alot of people say that big pigs don't taste good. i think that is a crock. my dad killed a just under 200 lb. boar and it was the best pig i have ever eaten. i have heard a theory that i beleive in. it is that when there is a hot sow in the area the boars start releasing hormones that cause them to stink, and thus ruin the meat. all pigs stink on the outside but after you take the skin off and they still stink then you have a problem. a buddy of mine told me he killed a 50 lb. boar and it was rank. the meat was also disgusting. so their may be some truth to the theory.
also it is best to put your meat in an ice chest and let it sit for at least 2 or 3 days. i let my sit for 4 or 5. i was unsure it this would ruin the meat but the butcher said they leave meat on ice in coolers for as long as 10 days.
jmo

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Just under 200lb boar really aint that big. But yea, bm22 has a good point about putting them in coolers. But dont forget to put water in it, and change it 2 or 3 times. That should get it pretty good.

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
You see, my logic is... I want to know how to deal with the meat so that when I see a North American Rhino coming down the trail I won't hesitate    :pray:
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
If you see a North American Rhino, don't think about the meat first. Think about getting that arrow through. Then think about the meat.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
No I will give you all I kill.Kip

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Sorry should have said no if they have two  softballs on their butt I will give you all I kill.Kip

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
The softballs sliced up and floured sound good lol at least I thought so when I had them as a kid 30+ years ago
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I killed a boar that weighed 400 lbs this past Tuesday afternoon. I sliced up part of a loin tonight, floured, and fried it. It was great.

Getting that son of a gun out of the woods and up into the back of the truck was...I can't even describe what it was...

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
I have had pigs that smelled nasty when cooked but tasted fine. Still hard to eat somthin that stinky though. I usually only kill the 100 and under.

Lived in a creek bottom Down in Tx my whole life till I came to Iowa.
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Orso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
The best tasting hog I've killed was a little 70lb boar...It tasted good.

Most of the hogs I've killed have been sows, weighing as much as 200lbs, and they all tasted good.  However, the last boar I arrowed which weighed about 225lbs, tastes terrible... I'm going to try a brine this weekend.

Sows, under 200lbs is the way to go.
Mike

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
All the bigguns I killed made the kitchen smell like a dirty hog. The hundred pounders are pretty good. But, if you can kill about a hundred pounds worth of "footballs" now you've got some truly fine eating and you have done your part to keep those rascals in check.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©