3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote meets Grizzly Bear  (Read 268 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote meets Grizzly Bear
« on: October 22, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Went out scouting an area I hadn't hunted in a few years.  Had my Bear Grizzly with me just in case.  Hadn't been out long, was standing on a high stream bank when a coyote comes trotting along.  I squeaked so he would stop.  When he did, I let one fly.  I nailed him in the mid rib section.  He barked, spun around, and took off.  I retrieved my arrow, complete pass through.  Here is where it goes down hill, and up hill, and everything in between.  I must have hit him a little back, most likely in the liver by the looks of the blood.  I trailed him for almost 300 yds through the forest.  Sometimes there would only be a few drops every few feet, then there would be a spray of blood, maybe when he would turn and lick or bite at the wound.  I never thought a coyote could bleed so much and keep going.  At one point, near my last spot of blood, I looked through my binocs at something strange looking ahead.  It looked like he was laying on his side about 20 yds ahead in the brush and was breathing/panting real hard.  At that point I turned to get the arrow I had placed at the last blood sighting.  When I turned around, what I was looking at was gone.  I suspect he had laid down, and would have died right there, but strangely I couldn't find any more blood.  After about 3 hrs and 300 yds, I couldn't find any more trail.  I hate that, but I'll bet there is one less coyote in the deer woods.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote meets Grizzly Bear
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
One of the toughest animals on earth. Used to run them with dogs back in the late 70's, it's amazing how much abuse they can take and still be alive to fight.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Probably crawled into a blowdown.

They are one tough critter!

Scott

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
The only one I've ever shot, I couldn't find either.  They are tough.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©