3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Patience  (Read 554 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Patience
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
I am not one of great patience. I have become accustomed to not seeing too many deer, so when I get in a stand before long I get fidgity. Usually it's because something is wrong with my tree stand, my elbow acts up, bugs fly around me, or I'm just plain uncomfortable, but I get frustrated easily and when that happens I can't sit well.
I know it's all in my head. If I'm not seeing deer right then, then I grow impatiente.  :banghead:  

Does anyone have any secrets to sitting in the treestand patiently and quietly (without sleeping)?

Does patience come with age maybe? Or maybe after I get my first trad deer? Experience?

Thanks for your input....now I have to get up cause I can't sit here long  ;)  

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Patience
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
It helps to be lazy!  :biglaugh:  

I find that time out hunting is a great way to unwind and relax.  I always find something to think about or watch.  It always amazes me how fast time goes when I'm on a stand.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
A mind is a terrible thing to waste, so use it - daydream a little - You wouldn't believe the "World's Problems" I have solved.  :saywhat:  .....  Take in what is around you, the woods are spectacular.  I even know guys that read when out there.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
While on stand study the birds and other wildlife around you. Watch how they move and how much looking they do at there surroundings. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the time. The deer will show theirselves in time and all those birds and other wildlife will let you know when they are coming if you pay attention to them and learn their behaviors. Have you ever notice when slipping thru the woods how all the criiters get quiet as you approach even the crickets and tree frogs? ( Usually means you are moving to quick) They will get quiet even when a bigger animal approaches. You really have to learn to walk quite and also learn to sit quite and still as well. You have to move slow whether in a tree or slipping around on the ground. Good luck and hope this helps you out some.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Spend more time scouting and less sitting - this way you KNOW they are coming. If I sit a stand and don't see deer I am usually shocked - but I don't sit a stand in any way to "scout" - only to "close the deal". When you "Know" they are coming - you "will" be quiet and won't need to be patient for long.
<>< <-------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I enjoy the heck out of wildlife around me, just the other day I saw a mink down by the creek...I just second guess my stand placement and get a little impatient waiting for the deer, hopefully it will come in time.  :rolleyes:  

The one thing that really kills me is I can never get comfortable in my stand. My enclosed climber was the best but I can't shoot the longbow out of it very well. Maybe I could figure out a way to lower the top when a deer gets close. The hang on stands we have a not an option, they have a VERY small wooden seat that is uncomfortable even with a seat cushion. But maybe I could buy a more comfortable one...

All in all I would say the comfort level I have while sitting on the ground or in a tree determines the amount of patience I have and how much enjoyment I get out of sitting.

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I watch the back of my eyelids...its very relaxing!!!   :D    :D    :D

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
I always have a judo/small-game-point in my quiver.  I always have squirrels around.  I spend a lot of time watching squirrels, and waiting for a perfect shot.  If I miss, the small game hunting is over.  I'll risk a shot at a tree rat, but I won't climb down just to retrieve an arrow.

It passes the time.  One day, I'll probably scare off "the turdy-pointer" shooting at a squirrel.  It'll be okay if I get the squirrel...    :readit:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
I read or play world series of poker on my cell phone.... Shannon Elizabeth is hot!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
I have the complete works of William Shakespeare on my iphone (its a new download) but I confess that I haven't even started it!  :)  I really do get into the sounds, smells and sights of the woods. Of course I have had periods of boredom but I too have been very surprised at how quickly the time passes and how my worries just slip away when I am hunting!
Ya gota have a comfortable stand though. For a fixed I went with the larger Lone Wolf "Elite"-I am more than welling to lug the extra 8lbs of weight for that "stretch room" when I am going to be there a long time!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »
bring a good book, i read often while on stand especially if the leaves are loud.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
When I get in a stand I kind of go into a trance, this is the place that I can finally relax, phone shut off no kids no wife no one to bug me, I just enjoy it and the whole while look for any hint of a deer from close in to as far as I can see. When I first get in I sit down and relax then after awhile I'll stand I alternate this on and off the whole time but when deer-thirty comes I'll be standing with bow in hand at the fullest alert I can muster, that is when you want to mean business.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »
If you hunt a fairly large area put up several stands a hundred yards or so apart. Sit in one for a couple hours then ease over to the next one and sit that one for a few hours and so on. It breaks up the monotony and you can stretch your legs every now and again.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
Cory Mattson brought up a VERY good point.

Confidence to the point of expectation makes it easy to remain on stand, and maintain a good level of awareness. Confidence to remain in position comes from scouting and KNOWING you are in a good spot.

I`m not sure patience can be learned, and I`m sure that as I`ve gotten older, I haven`t gotten more patient.

I try many of the things mentioned. Reading, sleeping, daydreaming, listening and watching.
When thats all been done, I have to figure out something for the next fifteen minutes.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Bakes 168, Patience is not an american thing , most of us have very little of it. To hectic of a life style. I knew a guy who used to just go in the woods a few yds an lay down on the ground for fifteen min just to slow everything down before his actual hunt started. I thing age helps also, seeing as I,m getting long in tooth myself I have aquired a little more patience, comfortable stands also help. Good Luck with your Quest   Bob

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
As I said on the "hungry" thread, comfort has a lot to do with staying the course.  When hunting from a stand, you need to be comfortable and vigilent.  I've never been one to read, but books on the ipod may start going with me.  Hours fly by when listening.  My ears are shot for hearing game coming anymore so it's an visual sport now.

I really like ladder stands.  Some of the cheaper ones do not have the comfort factor but the mid priced models are very nice and they have a feeling of security that the hang ons never had for me.

Anyway good luck.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I can pretty much always hear animals coming. It's thick here so they have to push their way through stuff.

So I read. I intend to read cabeza de vaca's account of getting shipwrecked in 1528 and over 8 years working his way along through different tribes and into mexico.

I know its half BS but I don't care. Point is just find something to occupy your time. You'd know better than we would.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
I really like Cory Mattsons thoughts about the expectancy. I know when I hunt a stand that I have a lot of confidence in, I'm able to sit a lot longer that if I just go climb a tree somewhere.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
I have a little electronic game I keep in my pack for when I'm really bored.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
I eat sunflower seeds! Tried to read some but I was letting too many deer walk up on me unprepared.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©